AP 'Fact Checking' Obama's Promises On Health Care and More

If, Gd forbid, the Democrats manage to scrape out a win in the House you can bet Speaker Pelosi will still be history.

Running away from party and actions:

Dems aren't any more innocent than Repubs.

Vote 3rd Party

I wouldn't this election, at least for national rep. However, if the GOP goes in and acts like they have done in the past, trouble is coming. See my new sig. ;)

Running away from party and actions:

Vote 3rd Party

I wouldn't this election, at least for national rep. However, if the GOP goes in and acts like they have done in the past, trouble is coming. See my new sig. ;)

heh.........I'll take those odds for Repubs acting like they have always in the past.

Here's my take:

Tea Party Backlash Looms for Republicans Over Budget - The Daily Beast

How Republicans Could Lose the Tea Party
by Benjamin Sarlin

If the GOP retakes Congress and doesn’t immediately take on the Tea Partiers’ top issue, the national debt, they face a backlash that could cost them the support of the movement—whose expectations are sky high.

For Tea Partiers, President George W. Bush’s bank-busting ways are the GOP’s original sin, and leaders say they expect a hypothetical Republican majority to make significant budget cuts immediately upon taking office in January. After keeping these activists happy with a steady diet of rhetorical red meat until now, Republicans face the prospect of a backlash if the nation’s fiscal outlook doesn’t improve under their watch...

:eusa_eh:

Will you please make up your mind?

Frankly, I've begun to dislike Boehner only because I'm reading your description of his slimy behaviour.
Look, it's called "politics". It's a game. It involves creating perceptions and strategies in order to look good, influence public opinion, and get things done.
If you think every political system is not like that then I'd suggest you grow the fuck up and get with the picture.
We are not going to be governed by people who say things with total unconcern for how they are going to be perceived in the media. That's just the reality. Live with it.

:clap2::clap2:

Thank you for a wonderfully accurate Republican Perspective, and for illustrating why they are as popular as they are: They cannot say what they mean, and mean what they say.

Please point to a political party that does not engage in politicking. Outside of the Communist Workers Party of the USSR and similar I don't know any.
Good luck.

Vote 3rd Party

heh.........I'll take those odds for Repubs acting like they have always in the past.

Youre verging into JakeStarkey-style incoherence here.
What do you mean "like they always have the past"? Do you mean like they did under GW Bush when they acted like Democrats and were crucified at the polls?
Or do you mean like in '96 and Contract for America when they won resounding victories and continued to hold power?

What do you mean "like they always have the past"? Do you mean like they did under GW Bush when they acted like Democrats and were crucified at the polls?
Or do you mean like in '96 and Contract for America when they won resounding victories and continued to hold power?

I pick door #1.

The Republicans should make sure they do not repeat the mistakes of their past, either:

RealClearPolitics - Voters May Punish Dems for Not Listening

September 14, 2010
Voters May Punish Dems for Not Listening

By Salena Zito
BIG BEAVER - Voters throughout river towns like this one, from the Mid-Atlantic through the Mid-West and into the Deep South, are frustrated with Washington.

Most are working-class Democrats and independents who placed their trust in Democrats in the past two election cycles.

Interesting, then, that with all of the poll numbers and focus groups available to it, Washington's ruling class still does not understand Main Street. In fact, it wants to know what is wrong with Americans.

President Barack Obama, his advisors, congressional leaders and even many of the D.C. Beltway's elite pundits collectively believe that voter anger among Republicans alone may cause Democrats to lose November's midterm election.

They could not be more wrong.

Democrats are losing the confidence of Main Street Democrat and independent voters because they did not listen. It really is that simple.

Obama's positions - whether involving government health care, more stimulus funding or cap-and-trade energy policies - may line up with the liberal side of his party and many elites in Washington, but those are not in line with most Americans. A Rasmussen Report poll issued last month backs that up; it found that 67 percent of the political class says America is headed on the right track, while 84 percent of mainstream Americans disagree.

Main Street Americans tend to be those who, as Bill Clinton once said, "Work hard and play by the rules." They are the middle and working classes who tend to work 50 weeks each year, travel around the country by car for vacation, take care of elderly parents, volunteer in their communities and churches, and try to save enough money to help their children have a better life.

And they are the America that is coming out to vote this fall.

FACT CHECK: Obama's tone shifts on health care......

OBAMA: Said he never expected to extend insurance coverage to an additional 31 million people "for free." He added that "we've made huge progress" if medical inflation could be brought down to the level of overall inflation, or somewhere slightly above that.

THE FACTS: Those claims may be supported in the fine print of the plan he pitched to Congress and a skeptical public months ago. But they were rarely heard back then. "My proposal would bring down the cost of health care for millions — families, businesses and the federal government," he declared in March.

So what is the problem besides an overzealous editor with time on his hands?

The Republicans should make sure they do not repeat the mistakes of their past, either:

RealClearPolitics - Voters May Punish Dems for Not Listening

September 14, 2010
Voters May Punish Dems for Not Listening

By Salena Zito
BIG BEAVER - Voters throughout river towns like this one, from the Mid-Atlantic through the Mid-West and into the Deep South, are frustrated with Washington.

Most are working-class Democrats and independents who placed their trust in Democrats in the past two election cycles.

Interesting, then, that with all of the poll numbers and focus groups available to it, Washington's ruling class still does not understand Main Street. In fact, it wants to know what is wrong with Americans.

President Barack Obama, his advisors, congressional leaders and even many of the D.C. Beltway's elite pundits collectively believe that voter anger among Republicans alone may cause Democrats to lose November's midterm election.

They could not be more wrong.

Democrats are losing the confidence of Main Street Democrat and independent voters because they did not listen. It really is that simple.

Obama's positions - whether involving government health care, more stimulus funding or cap-and-trade energy policies - may line up with the liberal side of his party and many elites in Washington, but those are not in line with most Americans. A Rasmussen Report poll issued last month backs that up; it found that 67 percent of the political class says America is headed on the right track, while 84 percent of mainstream Americans disagree.

Main Street Americans tend to be those who, as Bill Clinton once said, "Work hard and play by the rules." They are the middle and working classes who tend to work 50 weeks each year, travel around the country by car for vacation, take care of elderly parents, volunteer in their communities and churches, and try to save enough money to help their children have a better life.

And they are the America that is coming out to vote this fall.

So in other words? The political class is out of touch as many of us have been saying for a few decades...it's only now it's gotten so bad that we see the rise of people that have never been politically active [unless they're only going to the polls]...that I have ever seen in my 50 years on God's green Earth.

And as we see? The minority that IS the political elite are either running for cover or chastising the people for being too stupid to know what they want. It's the ultimate arrogence/conceit on the part of the elites.

Annie? It boggles the mind. The people are rising up in revolt...And I am glad to be seeing it. The elites are on the run.

I pick door #1.

OK. so to you "always" means in the last 10 years. Got it.

I pick door #1.

OK. so to you "always" means in the last 10 years. Got it.

Much longer than 10 years, much, much longer. In any case, all I care about is the next term beginning in January. That's what I'll be watching.

I've read your post three times and still have no idea what you mean.

Boehner cleverly announced he would "work with" Obama, probably knowing full well the GOP in the Senate would block it anyway (and the GOP in the House doesn't have the votes to do much). So he looks like a deal maker and compromiser while in reality doing nothing f the sort. He personally opposed anything other than an across the board continuatuon of the cuts.

All that inside baseball and strategy is going to accomplish is a GOP Senator who has voted in favor of tax increases. Trying to play this game of appearances and conciliation is what messed things up in the first place.

Boehner is in the House of Representatives.

Doh! Brain fart. :redface:

It wasn't trying to play the game. It was actually believing anyone could work succesfully with the Democrats to do anything other than be their fall guys. The Democrats repeatedly made agreements and then turned around and screwed the GOP, screaming how the GOP were tricksters. They are the North Koreans of the US political scene.

Which is why opposing all tax increases was the only way to go, unless Boehner actually think it's best to raise taxes on some people - in which case he needs to lose this fall or change his party designation.

Boehner cleverly announced he would "work with" Obama, probably knowing full well the GOP in the Senate would block it anyway (and the GOP in the House doesn't have the votes to do much). So he looks like a deal maker and compromiser while in reality doing nothing f the sort.......

It wasn't trying to play the game.......

Frankly, I've begun to dislike Boehner only because I'm reading your description of his slimy behaviour.
Look, it's called "politics". It's a game. It involves creating perceptions and strategies in order to look good, influence public opinion, and get things done.
If you think every political system is not like that then I'd suggest you grow the fuck up and get with the picture.
We are not going to be governed by people who say things with total unconcern for how they are going to be perceived in the media. That's just the reality. Live with it.

While true, the reality of that only exists because of people like Boehner. Horse trading is one thing, but trying to craft an appearance from the losing side is not a winning strategy. This whole problem was created by Republicans in the first place, they had the votes to get rid of that sunset clause anyway.

I think the Republicans that actually buy into the static economy bullshit (like calling for tax cuts at these levels to be "paid for") need to switch to the fiscal left side of the aisle or get voted out of office.

While true, the reality of that only exists because of people like Boehner. Horse trading is one thing, but trying to craft an appearance from the losing side is not a winning strategy. This whole problem was created by Republicans in the first place, they had the votes to get rid of that sunset clause anyway.

I think the Republicans that actually buy into the static economy bullshit (like calling for tax cuts at these levels to be "paid for") need to switch to the fiscal left side of the aisle or get voted out of office.

Well stated.

Electioneering and failing to enact many of the the items in the "Contract With America" followed by 6 years of egregious overspending with a Republican President shows that the whole thing was a farce. It's why they lost in 2006 and it's why the only reason the GOP has a chance to retake the House is because of Republican candidates who are distinctly NOT like the GOP leadership.

The question here is whether the Republicans have gotten the message? Or more precisely? The Elitist 'Blue Bloods' that act like Democrats of old which I call Repubicans.

I don't think they have. They don't focus on fundamental principles, they focus on electioneering.

Electioneering and failing to enact many of the the items in the "Contract With America" followed by 6 years of egregious overspending with a Republican President shows that the whole thing was a farce. It's why they lost in 2006 and it's why the only reason the GOP has a chance to retake the House is because of Republican candidates who are distinctly NOT like the GOP leadership.

And where does this leave the FARCE of Compassionate Conservatism...when it makes the GOP look like Statists? That just set back the GOP when they lost touch with the Constitution...and looked like fucking politicians disconnected from the people.

And where does this leave the FARCE of Compassionate Conservatism...when it makes the GOP look like Statists? That just set back the GOP when they lost touch with the Constitution...and looked like fucking politicians disconnected from the people.

Yup.

Good slogan and good marketing. Bad implementation of Keynesian economics, which is flawed anyway.

Although I have to correct you, it didn't make the GOP "look" like Statists, it confirmed that they actually were.

Forum List

Back