Anyone Here Write Business Plans For a Living?

My largest asset is my problem solving abilities and my ability to sell. I have past experience in retail sales and also in retail sales management.

if you said you were top national wide producer for Met Life I'd believe you could sell container homes but anything less you might be struggling

Also it seems to me the most important skill to have is in building and design so your customers could buy a home from you rather than a metal box.

Last edited:
My largest asset is my problem solving abilities and my ability to sell. I have past experience in retail sales and also in retail sales management.

if you said you were top national wide producer for Met Life I'd believe you could sell container homes but anything less you might be struggling

Also it seems to me the most important skill to have is in building and design so your customers could buy a home from you rather than a metal box.

LOTS of people start businesses without being a tip-top professional in the field and are successful at it. :rolleyes:

I'm sorry, but you haven't provided not one bit of positive helpful information in any of your posts. Every single one of them has been a negative Nancy post about why it won't work.

And please, explain to me why a model home on developed land would not be resalable. Not just, "Because when someone buys a home they want it a certain way..." Well people buy new/used homes ALL THE TIME that they didn't have a hand in designing. You also have to take into account the area in which I live, where a large part of the population live in poorly built single and double-wide trailers, so don't come at me with a San Fransisco or Upstate New York type of attitude towards home buying.

LOTS of people start businesses without being a tip-top professional in the field and are successful at it. :rolleyes:

usually thats dumb luck. They are young and stupid, they do something the experts said was impossible and by blind chance it works, sort of like a chemist dropping a beaker that combines with vinyl on the floor and creates a great new compound.
Generally its far better to have something you are expert on and passionate about .

And please, explain to me why a model home on developed land would not be resalable.

it would be but not easily. As I said banks appraisers insurance companies mortgage companies( all involved in sale) like standard things they know all about. A metal box home does not conform so most would stay far away.

Also it seems to me the most important skill to have is in building and design so your customers can buy a home with a final price from you rather than a metal box.

Last edited:
I can show you how pretty much any business plan can be accomplished without cash. It takes work and rat like cunning and most (99%) entrepreneurs go the lazy route of taking risk. You seem to have your mind made up that this will take a significant investment, too bad and good luck.

State agencies has lots of resources to help you on your business plan but they will show you the most non-creative way possible. Try to google machine.

And please, explain to me why a model home on developed land would not be resalable.

it would be but not easily. As I said banks appraisers insurance companies mortgage companies( all involved in sale) like standard things they know all about. A metal box home does not conform so most would stay far away.

Also it seems to me the most important skill to have is in building and design so your customers can buy a home with a final price from you rather than a metal box.

Hey dude, a single side and double wide trailer is nothing but a metal box that is just less sturdy than a shipping container home...

Oh I totally understand that, but with the business I am wanting to start, it is going to take not only the cost to just start the business, but to buy some land to put a model home on. So it's not exactly something that can be started with pocket change.

Do you have a community college in your area? Ours has business courses tailored for people to get started in a business. I have a customer who got a degree in hotel and restaurant management and opened a very successful...auto brake shop.

I am a 40-year Realtor who taught several real estate intense courses. One, within our associations, was goal setting and business planning. Narrowly limited to the real estate and property management. I am not qualified to branch off into another field.

Maybe you have already done so, but establishing a friendship with a commercial lender is helpful too. Find out what service organization or organizations they belong too and join the same club. Maybe they would take you as their guest. I'm established now and can get a loan just because of who I am and who I know. However, it all started 40 years ago as a guest to a prestigious Kiwanis Club luncheon meeting. Toastmasters is free, except for breakfast or lunch and you'll learn to speak calmly and confidently to present your plan to bankers and your product to consumers. Make a presentation to a consumer, whether one person or a board room, is public speaking.

My two-cents worth. Worth exactly what you paid! Good luck!

I'm starting to get more serious about my shipping container home business, and in order to get the funding with a business loan I'm going to need a good business plan. I'm just curious if anyone here writes business plans for a living, or if anyone knows a good places I can get one written for a fair price.

This may not be helpful, but some of the biggest businesses in this world today, started from the ground up, without loans or debt.

My advice to you, would be to not borrow any money. Work your way up from where you are. Keep selling, and building a customer base, one customer at a time.

It seems like getting a loan would be brilliant, and many people do that, but loans put an overhead on your business that ends up being a heavy weight around your neck.

People end up losing hundreds of thousands, on a business loan, that they end up paying off over the next 15 years of your life.

White Castle is a perfect example of the opposite. While everyone else was going broke, and ending up in millions of dollars of debt during the great depression of the 1930s, White Castle was still opening up resturaunts all during the depression. Why? They had no debt. Profits went down, yes, but they still made a profit because they had no debts to pay. So they kept opening up more stores, and growing their business, while other people were in bankruptcy court.

My advice, don't get a loan. If you absolutely have no other choice, get the smallest possible loan that you can. The least amount of debt possible to get your business going. Better still, work like a crazy person for one year, and save up the money you need.

Remember, 100% of bankruptcies, are on people who had debt.... (I went to college for that).

Oh I totally understand that, but with the business I am wanting to start, it is going to take not only the cost to just start the business, but to buy some land to put a model home on. So it's not exactly something that can be started with pocket change.
I

Is what you are planning permitted in your area? Will you need a general contractor's license, real estate license? Are there areas zoned for what you intend to place on the property?

Hey dude, a single side and double wide trailer is nothing but a metal box that is just less sturdy than a shipping container home...
wrong, a trailer comes with bathroom hookups kitchens and is a known commodity to cities, banks, insurance companies, appraisers, designers , builders etc. Do you understand?

Will your business be selling metal boxes or complete homes?? Are you an expert on foundations?

wrong, a trailer comes with bathroom hookups kitchens and is a known commodity to cities, banks, insurance companies, appraisers, designers , builders etc. Do you understand?

Will your business be selling metal boxes or complete homes?? Are you an expert on foundations?

If you have to ask that, you are not paying attention. They aren't going to be just the shipping containers. How would that be considered a "home?"

Do you even have a clue what a shipping container home is? Maybe you should use that new fangled thing called Google and look up a few pictures of them and then get back to me.

I'm starting to get more serious about my shipping container home business, and in order to get the funding with a business loan I'm going to need a good business plan. I'm just curious if anyone here writes business plans for a living, or if anyone knows a good places I can get one written for a fair price.
talk to a financial planner; so you can start budgeting.

Oh, Jezus, A financial Planner? WTF do annuities and market indexes have to do with cashflow in an entrepreneurial venture that is leveraged with assets and a personal guarantee.

Lewdog - read a book on personal bankruptcy before you go taking risks. Entrepreneurship is a brutal game. It seduces schmucks through popular culture and spits out most of them (minus their assets and credit). I was once that schmuck which is why I'm now a hardened bastard. There are negative-purchase-price deals out there YTF would you ever take a personal risk for a business?

Oh, Jezus, A financial Planner? WTF do annuities and market indexes have to do with cashflow in an entrepreneurial venture that is leveraged with assets and a personal guarantee.

Lewdog - read a book on personal bankruptcy before you go taking risks. Entrepreneurship is a brutal game. It seduces schmucks through popular culture and spits out most of them (minus their assets and credit). I was once that schmuck which is why I'm now a hardened bastard. There are negative-purchase-price deals out there YTF would you ever take a personal risk for a business?

Oh I already learned my lesson with a failed Picture Frame business. Always get your business incorporated so that the potential failure of the business doesn't involve personal assets or personal credit. I lost everything with my picture framing business.

They aren't going to be just the shipping containers.

so what are they going to be???

shipping-container-homes14.jpg
Poteet+Architects+Container+Guest+House+%25285%2529.jpg
shipping-container-tiny-home.jpg

Just a few examples... they have all the amenities just like any other home.

Always get your business incorporated so that the potential failure of the business doesn't involve personal assets or personal credit. I lost everything with my picture framing business.
the main problem is nobody will give a corporation a loan unless it has huge collateral to back the loan so any loan you get will probably be a personal loan.

They aren't going to be just the shipping containers.

so what are they going to be???

shipping-container-homes14.jpg
Poteet+Architects+Container+Guest+House+%25285%2529.jpg
shipping-container-tiny-home.jpg

Just a few examples... they have all the amenities just like any other home.

and who is going to make them from a shipping container into a home??
and is a shipping container box any cheaper or better than a traditional 2/4 stick built box of the same size?

Who will do it? The same people that do any other new home construction, with the only extra need being someone that can use a plasma cutter to cut out doors and windows. Is it cheaper? I can buy a refurbished 40" extra height shipping container for $2,000. Thats not only with the dents fixed, but repainted, and with a newly sealed roof. A person would spend more than $2,000 just to put a roof on your traditional house.

A person would spend more than $2,000 just to put a roof on your traditional house.
a container needs and a plazma welder a roof too or would rust long before 20 years. PLus you need insulation and sun protection.

So whcih is cheaper? HOw do you insulate a container? no basement or attic?

Forum List

Back