Anyone Here Write Business Plans For a Living?

Lewdog

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2016
Williamsburg, KY
I'm starting to get more serious about my shipping container home business, and in order to get the funding with a business loan I'm going to need a good business plan. I'm just curious if anyone here writes business plans for a living, or if anyone knows a good places I can get one written for a fair price.

I wrote my own when I started a shop. I used the local university as a resource. I also had one written for me in the late 1980's. I think it cost about 6 grand at that time.

Mark

I wrote my own when I started a shop. I used the local university as a resource. I also had one written for me in the late 1980's. I think it cost about 6 grand at that time.

Mark

wow definitely not cheap, especially when a business loan isn't a guaranteed thing.

I'm starting to get more serious about my shipping container home business, and in order to get the funding with a business loan I'm going to need a good business plan. I'm just curious if anyone here writes business plans for a living, or if anyone knows a good places I can get one written for a fair price.

This may not be helpful, but some of the biggest businesses in this world today, started from the ground up, without loans or debt.

My advice to you, would be to not borrow any money. Work your way up from where you are. Keep selling, and building a customer base, one customer at a time.

It seems like getting a loan would be brilliant, and many people do that, but loans put an overhead on your business that ends up being a heavy weight around your neck.

People end up losing hundreds of thousands, on a business loan, that they end up paying off over the next 15 years of your life.

White Castle is a perfect example of the opposite. While everyone else was going broke, and ending up in millions of dollars of debt during the great depression of the 1930s, White Castle was still opening up resturaunts all during the depression. Why? They had no debt. Profits went down, yes, but they still made a profit because they had no debts to pay. So they kept opening up more stores, and growing their business, while other people were in bankruptcy court.

My advice, don't get a loan. If you absolutely have no other choice, get the smallest possible loan that you can. The least amount of debt possible to get your business going. Better still, work like a crazy person for one year, and save up the money you need.

Remember, 100% of bankruptcies, are on people who had debt.... (I went to college for that).

This may not be helpful, but some of the biggest businesses in this world today, started from the ground up, without loans or debt.

My advice to you, would be to not borrow any money. Work your way up from where you are. Keep selling, and building a customer base, one customer at a time.

It seems like getting a loan would be brilliant, and many people do that, but loans put an overhead on your business that ends up being a heavy weight around your neck.

People end up losing hundreds of thousands, on a business loan, that they end up paying off over the next 15 years of your life.

White Castle is a perfect example of the opposite. While everyone else was going broke, and ending up in millions of dollars of debt during the great depression of the 1930s, White Castle was still opening up resturaunts all during the depression. Why? They had no debt. Profits went down, yes, but they still made a profit because they had no debts to pay. So they kept opening up more stores, and growing their business, while other people were in bankruptcy court.

My advice, don't get a loan. If you absolutely have no other choice, get the smallest possible loan that you can. The least amount of debt possible to get your business going. Better still, work like a crazy person for one year, and save up the money you need.

Remember, 100% of bankruptcies, are on people who had debt.... (I went to college for that).

Oh I totally understand that, but with the business I am wanting to start, it is going to take not only the cost to just start the business, but to buy some land to put a model home on. So it's not exactly something that can be started with pocket change.

Are you selling or leasing shipping containers? That makes a difference in the kind of business model you'll be using.

What I would suggest is doing some research on writing business plans, then writing a few drafts. When you hit on a draft you like, flesh it out and ensure that you hit all your growth points. Then run it by a few pros who will charge you far less for a critic or line edit over having to write one from scratch.

Are you selling or leasing shipping containers? That makes a difference in the kind of business model you'll be using.

What I would suggest is doing some research on writing business plans, then writing a few drafts. When you hit on a draft you like, flesh it out and ensure that you hit all your growth points. Then run it by a few pros who will charge you far less for a critic or line edit over having to write one from scratch.

No, it would be actually selling new construction of shipping container homes.

I don't know where you live so this advice may be worthless in your state but either build a trailer park as close to a decent city as you can and build your houses or find someone who owns a trailer park and build for his direct rentals. The land is the most expensive part of almost any real estate transactions and building inexpensively fast is getting easier to do all of the time.

I don't know where you live so this advice may be worthless in your state but either build a trailer park as close to a decent city as you can and build your houses or find someone who owns a trailer park and build for his direct rentals. The land is the most expensive part of almost any real estate transactions and building inexpensively fast is getting easier to do all of the time.

I'd love to eventually have real estate with multiple rental properties on it, however right now I'm simply looking to sell new construction of these shipping container homes. In order to do so successfully though, I'll need land to build a model home to show to potential customers, just like how any new home construction business or modular home company does. I live in Kentucky and cheap homes and trailer parks are all over the place.

Why not just steal the business plans used in the rest of the world? Imitation pays better than innovation and there is a lot of container housing worldwide so why knock yourself out?

Is there a container company that would partner with you?

I wrote my own business plans.

Mark

wow definitely not cheap, especially when a business loan isn't a guaranteed thing.

I suggest doing it like I did. Write your own. Most colleges have a business extension office to help people do these types of things. While a loan isn't guaranteed, a good business plan might get a loan guarantee from the SBA. Mine did.

Mark

Oh I totally understand that, but with the business I am wanting to start, it is going to take not only the cost to just start the business, but to buy some land to put a model home on. So it's not exactly something that can be started with pocket change.

That's even more scary to me. I've met dozens of guys just like you, that did the same thing, and they ruined their lives for years and years.

My suggestion then would be to find someone in this exact business, and just go and ask them how they started. Most are simple decent guys like yourself, and will have no problem telling you what they did.

first question is: what competitive advantage do you bring to this business?

That's even more scary to me. I've met dozens of guys just like you, that did the same thing, and they ruined their lives for years and years.

My suggestion then would be to find someone in this exact business, and just go and ask them how they started. Most are simple decent guys like yourself, and will have no problem telling you what they did.

Why would that be so scary? The real estate and model home would be an asset. It isn't like the bank would be worried that if the business failed they would be stuck with a warehouse of widgets, or a factory full of equipment that is only useful for building a particular product. The model home and real estate would easily be resalable to anyone.

first question is: what competitive advantage do you bring to this business?

There is no such company in my area doing this type of business. My largest asset is my problem solving abilities and my ability to sell. I have past experience in retail sales and also in retail sales management.

There is no such company in my area doing this type of business.

better to be second or third company in after many others have tried and failed to establish the concept than imagine you can establish concept on your own .

BTW, have you asked your banker for help with doing it? The bank does want to loan you money. One of the loan officers should be willing to help you put together the financial part of the plan so it presents your prospectus in the best light that is both possible and accurate.

Forum List

Back