Anybody want to discuss philosophy?

I like studying the philosophy of the Greeks, Western Romans and Eastern Romans, Middle ages to present.

It has taken humanity many mallinea to evolve into todays human.
Humans just seemed to be locked in a constant battle to destroy,kill and to take from others. Destroying civilizations and ancient societies.
Fotunately there is less in the world today but it is still a giant force in humanity that seems to be ingrained into the pschicy of many humans.

" For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow."

I don't believe that. There are a whole bunch of diseases that do not kill people any more, our increased medical knowledge is surely not a reason for sorrow. Are we worse off for our increased knowledge of electricity and other technologies that has made such a difference in our standard of living? Or advancements in agriculture, transportation, communication?

Do you think it matters what you know? Or is it more a question of what you do with what you know?

Well, that's an excellent question. Also, are we talking "wisdom" .. or... "intelligence or increased knowledge" here?

But since you brought up increased knowledge - maybe we can ponder it more...

For example, the knowledge of a medical doctor would indicate a higher level of intelligence than that of lets say that of a fast food worker. (I'm in no way saying one or the other is "better"; just different roles, different levels of intelligence)

The medical doctor is doing his/her job and makes a mistake; therefore causing a loss of life. Whereas, the fast food drive-in worker makes a mistake and someone gets a Big Mac instead of a Filet O Fish. If we compare the two - what will be the most sorrowful or cause the most pain to someone else or ourselves?

You could say that increased knowledge carries with it an increased chance for greater sorrow, but also for greater good. Not sure that's a good reason to stay stupid all your life. The doctor can save a life or end someone's suffering, the fast food person can give you a well cooked burger with some fries. Supersized please.

As for our "increased knowledge" as a society; are we sure we are making it "better" than earlier ages? Some offhand examples: Privately owned farms are almost obsolete because of corporate mass production, but yet now we see Whole Food Co-ops booming and/or coming back. Many are going back to organic, but at a higher cost alot of times.

Better than earlier ages? I've considered this myself; up until after WWII the standard of living for the vast majority of humanity was very poor indeed. It was a constant daily struggle just to survive. People were crippled or died from diseases and injuries that today can be recovered from.

Before we used to live off the land to survive. Yeah, we may have died or suffered with a hard season back then; but nowadays we could also die in a car wreck, plain crash, or bungee jumping. More than that...nowadays we work our full time jobs... and to take a "break" or "vacation" we go "camping, hunting, fishing" for "fun".; or call "gardening" a hobby. I find that comical sometimes.

Yeah, I guess a good question would be.. what is the difference between wisdom and increased knowledge or intelligence.. is there one? Is the difference in your question? (What we "do" with the increased knowledge?).

I would say offhand that knowledge or intelligence is the accumulation of information, while wisdom is the ability to apply it in the most useful or effective way. Some say that knowledge/intelligence is what you learn from books, wisdom is what you learn by experience, yours or someone else's. Not sure that's entirely correct, or that it really matters anyway.

" For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow."

I don't believe that. There are a whole bunch of diseases that do not kill people any more, our increased medical knowledge is surely not a reason for sorrow. Are we worse off for our increased knowledge of electricity and other technologies that has made such a difference in our standard of living? Or advancements in agriculture, transportation, communication?

Do you think it matters what you know? Or is it more a question of what you do with what you know?

Well, that's an excellent question. Also, are we talking "wisdom" .. or... "intelligence or increased knowledge" here?

But since you brought up increased knowledge - maybe we can ponder it more...

For example, the knowledge of a medical doctor would indicate a higher level of intelligence than that of lets say that of a fast food worker. (I'm in no way saying one or the other is "better"; just different roles, different levels of intelligence) assumption

The medical doctor is doing his/her job and makes a mistake; therefore causing a loss of life. Whereas, the fast food drive-in worker makes a mistake and someone gets a Big Mac instead of a Filet O Fish. If we compare the two - what will be the most sorrowful or cause the most pain to someone else or ourselves?improper handling of food can cause serious illness

As for our "increased knowledge" as a society; are we sure we are making it "better" than earlier ages? Some offhand examples: Privately owned farms are almost obsolete because of corporate mass production, but yet now we see Whole Food Co-ops booming and/or coming back. Many are going back to organic, but at a higher cost alot of times.

Before we used to live off the land to survive. Yeah, we may have died or suffered with a hard season back then; but nowadays we could also die in a car wreck, plain crash, or bungee jumping. More than that...nowadays we work our full time jobs... and to take a "break" or "vacation" we go "camping, hunting, fishing" for "fun".; or call "gardening" a hobby. I find that comical sometimes.interesting

Yeah, I guess a good question would be.. what is the difference between wisdom and increased knowledge or intelligence.. is there one? Is the difference in your question? (What we "do" with the increased knowledge?).

are you suggesting that increased intelligence is sought or innate via generations of exposure to more 'intelligence'?

" For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. "

I think differently. One cannot comprehend the joy of life without the grief of it for comparison and enrichment. The death of a loved one makes my awareness of the awesome qualities in my surviving family members that more breath taking.

Time is short and precious. Grief tells us to appreciate what we do have that is good.

What is the meaning of life? And the meaning of your life in particular? Many religions say that your life is pre-determined, whatever happens is God's will. Which may be, but some religions also say that we have choices to make, if and you make the wrong ones then salvation will not be yours. So, can we assume that you have at least some decisions over what your life means?

Leaving aside the questions of religion and salvation, I do think each of us is responsible for deciding what the meaning of our lives is, and acting accordingly. A couple hundred years from now, who's going to know or care about us? So, the meaning of life is kinda transitory, at least on an individual level. That being so, what should we be concentrating on?

My opinion is that the meaning of our lives depends on the impact we've had on those we share our lives with. Making the world a better place for somebody, even one person, is not a bad place to start with. Not everyone agrees with this of course; many are more focused on self-enrichment or aggrandisement. Personally, I have no problem with this up to a point, improving your standard of living and that of your family is okay by me. So long as you are not doing so at the expense of others that is.

The other thing is more of a self-actualization thing IMHO. Trying to make yourself into a better and smarter person is not a bad thing either. Nothing wrong with a little more wisdom. How you spend the time you have is the real meaning of your life; spend it wisely.

I would love to have a discussion on philosphy.

To me yes life is worth living. I'd live 1000 years if I could. More if I could.

If for nothing else than to find out what is next here on planet earth. What might we become as a species.

According to Frank. J. Tipler in his book, the physics of immortality, if we lived to be 1000years old we would use up all the memory cells of our brains, and thereby become instantly senile.

I would love to have a discussion on philosphy.

To me yes life is worth living. I'd live 1000 years if I could. More if I could.

If for nothing else than to find out what is next here on planet earth. What might we become as a species.

According to Frank. J. Tipler in his book, the physics of immortality, if we lived to be 1000years old we would use up all the memory cells of our brains, and thereby become instantly senile.

Ah but clearly that is not going to happen because I doubt I'll make much past 70 or 80.

But in the world of fantasy, a few thousand years would be great.

A man said to the universe:
“Sir, I exist!"
“However,” replied the universe,
“The fact has not created in me
“A sense of obligation.”
- Stephen Crane​

“Sir, I exist!"
“A sense of obligation.”
- Stephen Crane​

IOW, so what? What're you gonna do with your life, how will you assign meaning to it? Like it or not, your life will have some meaning, to you and those around you. Positive or negative, large or small, I don't think there's a person on earth who didn't impact someone else at some point.

“Sir, I exist!"
“A sense of obligation.”
- Stephen Crane​

IOW, so what? What're you gonna do with your life, how will you assign meaning to it? Like it or not, your life will have some meaning, to you and those around you. Positive or negative, large or small, I don't think there's a person on earth who didn't impact someone else at some point.

I generally take that poem to imply not so much the insignificance of 'a man', but rather it highlights the insignificance of all mankind in an infinite universe. On the other hand I also don't think it's supposed to imply meaninglessness to existence, but rather impart a small measure of perspective, especially that the universe doesn't give a shit about you so you damn well better give a shit about yourself and yours.

“Sir, I exist!"
“A sense of obligation.”
- Stephen Crane​

I generally take that poem to imply not so much the insignificance of 'a man', but rather it highlights the insignificance of all mankind in an infinite universe. On the other hand I also don't think it's supposed to imply meaninglessness to existence, but rather impart a small measure of perspective, especially that the universe doesn't give a shit about you so you damn well better give a shit about yourself and yours.

Well, the universe at large may not give a shit about you, but maybe there are a few in your own local universe who do. I do not think we should feel as though we are owed something by virtue of our existence, but do we not owe something to those who care or have cared for us? We assign a meaning to our lives in the way we discharge our responsibilities and pay our debts. Which leads to a question:

Since my days as a kid in the 50s, it seems to me the value of that meaning over responsibilities and debts has diminished somewhat. We are less than we could be, less than we used to be. Or maybe we just got more confused.

Well, the universe at large may not give a shit about you, but maybe there are a few in your own local universe who do. I do not think we should feel as though we are owed something by virtue of our existence, but do we not owe something to those who care or have cared for us? We assign a meaning to our lives in the way we discharge our responsibilities and pay our debts. Which leads to a question:

Since my days as a kid in the 50s, it seems to me the value of that meaning over responsibilities and debts has diminished somewhat. We are less than we could be, less than we used to be. Or maybe we just got more confused.

Or maybe with the acquisition of wisdom and experience you're now able to see that which you were oblivious to in your youth.

Or maybe with the acquisition of wisdom and experience you're now able to see that which you were oblivious to in your youth.

One hopes so. Takes longer with some than others, and sadly a few don't learn much at all.

I was wondering if anyone around here was interested in a thread about philosophy. I'm getting a little tired of the wrangling over politics and the economy, and am looking for something a little less emotional. A friend showed me a book that I thought might be interesting; it has over 630 pages, with many potential topics of discussion. Gonna take awhile to work my way through this one. The book is:

Philosophy: An Introduction to the Fine Art of Wondering, by James L. Christian. The original version was written some 40 years ago in the early 70s, the latest is the 11th version written in 2011. You can by it online at various websites but it's expensive, costong over $135 in someplaces. But I'm a cheap bastard, I found a website where I could download the previous version (10th) for free.

file, Download

So, if anyone is interested we can talk about the the hell is going on and why. Note that this is not a thread about religion, I don't give a damn what you believe or don't believe. If you want to offer your views about God, one way or another, feel free. I believe the subject is going to come up anyway sooner or later. But this thread isn't intended to evolve into another pissing contest over whether religion is a bunch of hooey or not. I do hope any who contribute here will respect another's right to their own views.
Here's a good phylisophical discussion for you...

What is the opposite of love?
(Hint: It's not hate!)

I was wondering if anyone around here was interested in a thread about philosophy. I'm getting a little tired of the wrangling over politics and the economy, and am looking for something a little less emotional. A friend showed me a book that I thought might be interesting; it has over 630 pages, with many potential topics of discussion. Gonna take awhile to work my way through this one. The book is:

Philosophy: An Introduction to the Fine Art of Wondering, by James L. Christian. The original version was written some 40 years ago in the early 70s, the latest is the 11th version written in 2011. You can by it online at various websites but it's expensive, costong over $135 in someplaces. But I'm a cheap bastard, I found a website where I could download the previous version (10th) for free.

file, Download

So, if anyone is interested we can talk about the the hell is going on and why. Note that this is not a thread about religion, I don't give a damn what you believe or don't believe. If you want to offer your views about God, one way or another, feel free. I believe the subject is going to come up anyway sooner or later. But this thread isn't intended to evolve into another pissing contest over whether religion is a bunch of hooey or not. I do hope any who contribute here will respect another's right to their own views.

Maybe a better question is why is love in such short supply?

file, Download

Maybe a better question is why is love in such short supply?

Because hate is easier. Love takes work if you want it to last. Hate just seems to well up when one is trwated poorly, disregarded, abused, etc.

Got to agree with manifold obout apathy being its oposite.

Forum List

Back