Anybody want to discuss philosophy?

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by Wiseacre, Jul 5, 2012.

1. Wiseacre

Wiseacre Retired USAF Chief Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,194
    I was wondering if anyone around here was interested in a thread about philosophy. I'm getting a little tired of the wrangling over politics and the economy, and am looking for something a little less emotional. A friend showed me a book that I thought might be interesting; it has over 630 pages, with many potential topics of discussion. Gonna take awhile to work my way through this one. The book is:

Philosophy: An Introduction to the Fine Art of Wondering, by James L. Christian. The original version was written some 40 years ago in the early 70s, the latest is the 11th version written in 2011. You can by it online at various websites but it's expensive, costong over $135 in someplaces. But I'm a cheap bastard, I found a website where I could download the previous version (10th) for free.

file, Download

So, if anyone is interested we can talk about the the hell is going on and why. Note that this is not a thread about religion, I don't give a damn what you believe or don't believe. If you want to offer your views about God, one way or another, feel free. I believe the subject is going to come up anyway sooner or later. But this thread isn't intended to evolve into another pissing contest over whether religion is a bunch of hooey or not. I do hope any who contribute here will respect another's right to their own views.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Wiseacre

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,194
    First issue:

The book's 1st chapter offers the statement that mankind has tried to answer the questions about the meaning of life and existence through our religions and philosophies. But in fact we've been supplied with too many answers, and it's very hard to tell what the real truth is. The book when goes on to say and most of our religions and philosophies have concluded that "in the final analysis, life in this world is not worth living". We are expected to carry on, enduring the travails and burdens placed upon us until we die and go to a better place.

" Through the ages, humans have sought clues to life’s meaning through our reli-
    gions and philosophies. To date they have given us immense help, but a contempo-
    rary overview of humanity’s quest supplies us with a superabundance of answers, so
    many answers in fact that we can’t decide among them,and any decision seems arbi-
    trary and limited. " Philosophy: An Introduction to the Fine Art of Wondering, by James L. Christian (page 2)

Leaving aside the issue of whether there is in fact a better place (heaven?), do you think life is not worth living? I kind of have a problem with that idea, because it leads to a defeatist attitude and an decreased chance of experiencing the joys and successes that life can bring. Sure, life is full of the slings and arrows of outragious fortune, wrongs done with no justice applied. However, by reaching out to those who are experiencing those trials and tribulations I believe we enrich our own lives, helping each other through the rough spots can be enormously satisfying and rewarding, not to mention maybe getting a helping hand yourself when you need it.

3. Toro

Toro Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25,065
    Everyone has to believe in something.

I believe I'll have another beer.

4. Wiseacre

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,194

Profound. :lol:

5. Gideonprime

Gideonprime Guardian of the Wastes

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +35
    I would love to have a discussion on philosphy.

To me yes life is worth living. I'd live 1000 years if I could. More if I could.

If for nothing else than to find out what is next here on planet earth. What might we become as a species.

6. amrchaos

amrchaos Pentheus torn apart

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,573
    You may need more than a thousand years to find out..

7. Gideonprime

Gideonprime Guardian of the Wastes

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Too true which is why I'd enjoy immortality. Sadly I am starting to think I might not get there.

8. amrchaos

amrchaos Pentheus torn apart

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,573
    You would enjoy immortality?

Would you not find existence a little boring after, say, a couple of million years?
    That is why I tend to think that if there was a god, God did not create reality in order to love. God would have created this reality because God was bored! Thus the reason we would have life, free will, abundance of ignorance and limited abilities.

9. Marie888

Marie888 † † †

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +215

Yeah.. can be interesting. The question of what the hell is going on and why is partially what started me seeking about life.. and sent me on a journey of learning that I believe is the truth of our lives which anyone can tell from my siggy. I didn't grow up learning about God, I went seeking by myself.

So far during my life, one of the many profound sayings that I've found of truth is this:

Ecclesiastes 1:18

And I can be as dumb as a box of rocks, lol. Many more of course, but gotta run.

10. Buford

Buford BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +180
    No matter where ya go, there you are.