Antidepressants don't work?

You can knock it off at any time.

Even considering the placebo effect, what the man is doing is working for him...The least you can do is acknowledge that much.

The fact is they could be working against him in the long run but with informed
consent it is certainly his choice to make

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lXUOnn5PiQ]Peter Breggin MD Psychiatric Drugs Part I - YouTube[/ame]

I have Delusional Paranoia, there is no damn way I am letting someone hypnotize me, hell the probably couldn't cause I would be resisting it, but I am not going to test the theory.

And to be clear I spent my whole life like this, I hid it. Pretty damn well till I broke down. My Navy shrink said as bad as I was there is no way I should have been able to pass Boot Camp much less serve almost 16 years in the Corps and be promoted to GySgt.

From 95 to 2004 it was a long list of different meds that just did not work or only worked for a short time. Believe me I do NOT like taking medication. I have a belief about what is coming and me stuck on meds makes it real hard for me to think I will survive. ( remember delusional Paranoia) In early 2004 I went on Geodon and celexa and Provigal, within a month when the meds actually started working well, my voice was gone, I no longer had days when I couldn't get up cause I would kill myself.

It was like crawling out of a huge ass hole.

I have stopped my meds several times cause I don't like taking meds ( which is a recurring problem in most mental patients) EVEN though I KNOW they work. It doesn't take long to be VERY depressed again.

And of course it is NOT a cure, NO ONE claims it is. It is treatment. Effective treatment. Would you suggest a Diabetic go off insulin after 6 months cause it didn't CURE them?

By the way? I tried electro shock therapy. It wipes your short term memory so I lost about 4 months, BUT even though I can't remember the time the Doctors all agreed it did not help. BUT I was so BAD they ask me to do it.

I am ALWAYS depressed, I ALWAYS THINK about suicide, That never goes away. The difference is now I don't have to expend as much time energy and effort to NOT want to act on the thoughts. The medication makes my life liveable.

the point is that in control groups large numbers of people receive the same benefit from a placebo so how can this be an organic brain disorder ?..having said that once one has been on medications you will most definitively suffer with and sudden withdraw as you have become chemically dependent it is not something that should be done without a doctors supervision and a gradual reduction in dosage

You have provided ZERO evidence of your claim. In fact if it were true the US Government would not approve of the Medication for us to begin with. SSRI are not to my knowledge addictive at all. You have not proven that claim either.

ver the years I have taken a lot of different medications for Depression, NOT once was I addicted to the med, EVER. Never had any serious withdrawal systems, the worst is Celexa and all it does is a mild head ache for a couple days.

Care to try AGAIN?

i have delusional paranoia, there is no damn way i am letting someone hypnotize me, hell the probably couldn't cause i would be resisting it, but i am not going to test the theory.

And to be clear i spent my whole life like this, i hid it. Pretty damn well till i broke down. My navy shrink said as bad as i was there is no way i should have been able to pass boot camp much less serve almost 16 years in the corps and be promoted to gysgt.

From 95 to 2004 it was a long list of different meds that just did not work or only worked for a short time. Believe me i do not like taking medication. I have a belief about what is coming and me stuck on meds makes it real hard for me to think i will survive. ( remember delusional paranoia) in early 2004 i went on geodon and celexa and provigal, within a month when the meds actually started working well, my voice was gone, i no longer had days when i couldn't get up cause i would kill myself.

It was like crawling out of a huge ass hole.

I have stopped my meds several times cause i don't like taking meds ( which is a recurring problem in most mental patients) even though i know they work. It doesn't take long to be very depressed again.

And of course it is not a cure, no one claims it is. It is treatment. Effective treatment. Would you suggest a diabetic go off insulin after 6 months cause it didn't cure them?

By the way? I tried electro shock therapy. It wipes your short term memory so i lost about 4 months, but even though i can't remember the time the doctors all agreed it did not help. But i was so bad they ask me to do it.

I am always depressed, i always think about suicide, that never goes away. The difference is now i don't have to expend as much time energy and effort to not want to act on the thoughts. The medication makes my life liveable.

the point is that in control groups large numbers of people receive the same benefit from a placebo so how can this be an organic brain disorder ?..having said that once one has been on medications you will most definitively suffer with and sudden withdraw as you have become chemically dependent it is not something that should be done without a doctors supervision and a gradual reduction in dosage

you have provided zero evidence of your claim. In fact if it were true the us government would not approve of the medication for us to begin with. Ssri are not to my knowledge addictive at all. You have not proven that claim either.

sorry ol solider but they but are indeed proven facts and the withdraw effects are well known and not in dispute, saying the government would not approve addictive or harmful drugs is ludicrous and not in keeping with historical record

SSRI discontinuation syndrome

The indicators of SSRI discontinuation syndrome are the following:
Interruption, cessation, or reduction of dosage in an SSRI treatment that has lasted four or more weeks.
Symptoms which:
interfere with normal social, occupational, or other functioning.
are not due to another medical condition, drug use, or discontinuation.
are not due to a relapse of the condition for which the SSRI was originally prescribed.

SSRI discontinuation syndrome - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

you have provided zero evidence of your claim. In fact if it were true the us government would not approve of the medication for us to begin with. Ssri are not to my knowledge addictive at all. You have not proven that claim either.

sorry ol solider but they but are indeed proven facts and the withdraw effects are well known and not in dispute, saying the government would not approve addictive or harmful drugs is ludicrous and not in keeping with historical record

I never said that. I said YOU have provided ZERO evidence and I stated as a matter of FACT that I have taken every known SSRI and several of the non SSRI meds that effect serotonin and have NEVER been addicted EVER. And have almost no effects from stopping them. Again the worst I had was a mild headache for a couple days from stopping Celexa.

And I will NOT watch one of your idiotic you tube links, provide a link to a verified study that PROVES or appears to PROVE that SSRI are addictive, that SSRI are not working on none mild cases of depression as established by the medical authorities.

The link on this thread says it does not work on MILD cases. That would be because they do not have an imbalance in their brain of neurotransmitters.

Interruption, cessation, or reduction of dosage in an SSRI treatment that has lasted four or more weeks.
Symptoms which:
are not due to a relapse of the condition for which the SSRI was originally prescribed.

A wiki source? REALLY?

I never said that. I said YOU have provided ZERO evidence and I stated as a matter of FACT that I have taken every known SSRI and several of the non SSRI meds that effect serotonin and have NEVER been addicted EVER. And have almost no effects from stopping them. Again the worst I had was a mild headache for a couple days from stopping Celexa.

And I will NOT watch one of your idiotic you tube links, provide a link to a verified study that PROVES or appears to PROVE that SSRI are addictive, that SSRI are not working on none mild cases of depression as established by the medical authorities.

The link on this thread says it does not work on MILD cases. That would be because they do not have an imbalance in their brain of neurotransmitters.

Who needs fact when you have opinion?

Symptoms which:

A wiki source? REALLY?

WTF bozo how many sources do you want it from ?? its not in dispute the
possible effects of ssri discontinuation are well known

Last edited:
I might add a sad story.....

Back in Pa., a lady who was a celebrated hostess in another state, moved back home. She was suffering from depression and ended up laying on train tracks, a suicide.

Insulin causes blindness yet it is given to diabetics.

We had a case at my Boston office where a guy went blind from botched retinal surgery because the surgeon was unqualified.

Why is Clonazepam considered such a great evil, especially when it works and enables anxiety sufferers to work and live normal lives? Why are patients denied the right to take part in their own medical care and are treated like criminals?

I may just return to California and my old doctor!!!!!

its highly addictive...having said that however it does work for anxiety and people should most certainly be able to decide if they wish to be dependent on a drug or not

Having lived in Europe, I know that there people can take medication that helps them. Tonight I am going to buy some Magnesium because I read it brings down heart rate. My heart rate has been normal until the last time I saw the doctor and he had me so stressed. No wonder people kill themselves.......doctors give insulin knowing it may BLIND patients but treat anxiety disorders as being "all in the head."

Again, I was taking Clonazepam AS NEEDED and I am as far from the addictive type as anybody can be. :(

as needed does not mean you wont get a dependency but I fully agree you should be able to do what ever drug pleases you

addiction? I had an extra 10 pills left over from my last prescription. Hardly an addiction.

As for the fast pulse, i attribute it to stress and also, i usually run on the high side, and the doctor never mentioned the fast pulse (96). If he had, i could have told him that since i don't drive, i had a long walk to the hospital. Isn't exercise to get the pulse going? Also, people are nervous going to see their doctors and it is normal for it to go up a little.

He ordered a blood test for anemia....never got back to me so i guess i don't have anemia. By the way, the previous doctor just less than a year ago ordered a complete blood count and he called me as soon as he got the report and said, "whatever you're doing, keep doing it." it was perfect.

you could switch to a little heroin the effect is the same and its really easy to get

addiction? I had an extra 10 pills left over from my last prescription. Hardly an addiction.

As for the fast pulse, i attribute it to stress and also, i usually run on the high side, and the doctor never mentioned the fast pulse (96). If he had, i could have told him that since i don't drive, i had a long walk to the hospital. Isn't exercise to get the pulse going? Also, people are nervous going to see their doctors and it is normal for it to go up a little.

He ordered a blood test for anemia....never got back to me so i guess i don't have anemia. By the way, the previous doctor just less than a year ago ordered a complete blood count and he called me as soon as he got the report and said, "whatever you're doing, keep doing it." it was perfect.

you could switch to a little heroin the effect is the same and its really easy to get

So let me get this right, SSRI are bad but you advice someone to take Heroin? You are a fucking loony tunes.

Addiction? I had an extra 10 pills left over from my last prescription. Hardly an addiction.

As for the fast pulse, I attribute it to stress and also, I usually run on the high side, AND the doctor never mentioned the fast pulse (96). If he had, I could have told him that since I don't drive, I had a long walk to the hospital. Isn't exercise to get the pulse going? Also, people are nervous going to see their doctors and it is normal for it to go up a little.

He ordered a blood test for anemia....never got back to me so I guess I don't have anemia. By the way, the previous doctor just less than a year ago ordered a complete blood count and he called me as soon as he got the report and said, "Whatever you're doing, keep doing it." It was PERFECT.

96 isn't technically tachycardia or a fast pulse as it's under a hundred. It doesn't need to be treated and many people get "white coat syndrome" where they get nervous in healthcare environments.

Benzodiazepines like Xanax, clonapin (clonazapam), Ativan, versed, and halcyon have horrible reputations as drugs of abuse in this country. Doctors hate giving them out and if you go to an ED and ask for them, you are going to be looked at suspiciously - whether fair or unfair.

Benzos are no longer indicated for any anxiety issue other than panic attacks. SSRIs like Zoloft are what are now recommended. It sounds like cost is an issue, but what you need is a long term medication like an SSRI and therapy. As it stands, you will continue to have a hard time getting clonapin.

So let me get this right, SSRI are bad but you advice someone to take Heroin? You are a fucking loony tunes.

Yeah. Heroin certainly isn't addictive and doesn't have any unpleasant side effects.....

:cuckoo:

Yeah. Heroin certainly isn't addictive and doesn't have any unpleasant side effects.....

so geauxtohell the drug dealer puts his 2 cents worth in trying to maintain a market for his crap drugs

she was complaining about access to opiates I was just saying heroin is easier to get.. no one said anything about not being addictive or not having potential unpleasant effects

Forum List

Back