Antidepressants don't work?

In some cases a small dose of some form of opiate could be preferable to SSRIs...but some activity and healthy foods and cognitive therapy to get to the root of the anxiety would be my prescription

Thanks for the advice. First of all, I do not drive and I walk everywhere. I walk fast. I am 5'7'' and 116 lbs. I have been eating healthy since childhood - my mother was into cod liver oil, goat's milk and we had our own chickens for eggs and even bees for natural honey. Some mental and mood disorders run in the family - my maternal uncle and aunt both had shock treatments for depression back when that treatment was popular. It cured them. My first panic attack happened in a car shortly after my father's sudden death at home. I went to a psychiatrist and he misdiagnosed me and gave me an anti-psychotic agent rather than something for panic. Fortunately, I didn't suffer from panic for many years and never took any sort of medication for many years either. The terrorist attacks in N.Y. set off my recurring problems for some reason.

PTSD works like that. Did you witness your father's death?

So does bipolar disorder which can be triggered by stress. This person needs someone to do a thorough history and get a proper diagnosis.

The difference between you and I is that, my medical opinion is educated. Yours is opinion, and dangerous at that.

"Try heroin..."

You are a joke.

You nailed it and I have tied up with eots over psych care before, so I don't waste my time on him. It's obvious what he is.

I can not help but notice you can not address or acknowledge the fact that a
sugar pill is as or close to as effective as these brain damaging an addictive drugs

I've addressed it. You act like a squirrel who has found a secret nut. In reality, everyone who has kept up with the literature knows the efficacy of SSRIs isn't great.
Again, who cares? If a patient derives benefit from them, what do you care?

Also, SSRIs aren't addictive. Just stop already.

Thanks for the advice. First of all, I do not drive and I walk everywhere. I walk fast. I am 5'7'' and 116 lbs. I have been eating healthy since childhood - my mother was into cod liver oil, goat's milk and we had our own chickens for eggs and even bees for natural honey. Some mental and mood disorders run in the family - my maternal uncle and aunt both had shock treatments for depression back when that treatment was popular. It cured them. My first panic attack happened in a car shortly after my father's sudden death at home. I went to a psychiatrist and he misdiagnosed me and gave me an anti-psychotic agent rather than something for panic. Fortunately, I didn't suffer from panic for many years and never took any sort of medication for many years either. The terrorist attacks in N.Y. set off my recurring problems for some reason.

So does bipolar disorder which can be triggered by stress. This person needs someone to do a thorough history and get a proper diagnosis.

Sounds like they can't afford a PCP or psych.

Yeah. Heroin certainly isn't addictive and doesn't have any unpleasant side effects.....

:cuckoo:

she was complaining about access to opiates I was just saying heroin is easier to get.. no one said anything about not being addictive or not having potential unpleasant effects

A.). You told her to committ a felony.
B.). Clonazapam isn't even remotely an opiate.

Heroin addicts often choose Clonazepam when they cannot afford heroin. is also used to enhance the effects of heroin and other opiates...out here in the real world

You nailed it and I have tied up with eots over psych care before, so I don't waste my time on him. It's obvious what he is.

I can not help but notice you can not address or acknowledge the fact that a
sugar pill is as or close to as effective as these brain damaging an addictive drugs

I've addressed it. You act like a squirrel who has found a secret nut. In reality, everyone who has kept up with the literature knows the efficacy of SSRIs isn't great.
Again, who cares? If a patient derives benefit from them, what do you care?

Also, SSRIs aren't addictive. Just stop already.

Some of them are effective, and you can see that when they are tapered off and the patient decompensates. Celexa above 40mg has been found to cause cardiac problems. But then I never used it much with anyone other than the mildly depressed.

The Effexor is great for fibromyalgia, and Cymbalta is great for pain. If I have a patient who has pain issues, I use them accordingly. If there is one a patient objects to, I don't insist because I know used over their objections it will not give a good result anyway.

she was complaining about access to opiates I was just saying heroin is easier to get.. no one said anything about not being addictive or not having potential unpleasant effects

Heroin addicts often choose Clonazepam when they cannot afford heroin. is also used to enhance the effects of heroin and other opiates...out here in the real world

That's not what you said. You said it was an opiate. That is incorrect, wannabe Doctor.

Clinical Depression exists. I have it and I suffer major depression pretty much all the time. It is caused mostly by a lack of one or more neurotransmitters in the brain. They have not developed a way to test medically for it.
If there's no way to test for it, then the doctors are just guessing...This is why depression is not a disease in the strictly defined sense...The diagnosis is made on purely anecdotal evidence.

Believe me, I'm not minimizing your particular experience...I'm just saying that the doctors are guessing and people are getting needlessly hooked on antidepressants.

Are Antidepressants Addictive?
Discontinuing use of some popular medications may cause side effects that mimic a relapse in depression.
By Tiffany Kary, published on July 01, 2003 - last reviewed on January 25, 2007
The pain and nausea some people feel when they stop taking certain antidepressants is spurring controversy over whether these drugs should carry explicit warning labels about withdrawal.

Jame Tierney was 14 years old when she started taking Effexor, a serotonin norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor (SNRI), for her migraines. When she slowly tapered off the drug, Jame experienced vomiting, suicidal impulses, electric shock-like sensations and fatigue. She likened her confusion of time and space to special effects in the movie The Matrix.

Such withdrawal has often been mistaken for depression relapse. However, mounting testimony from people like Jame, who were prescribed SNRIs or selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs), such as Prozac or Zoloft, for nonpsychiatric conditions could publicize what doctors say is a phenomenon recognized since the late 1990s. Patients using Paxil and Effexor report the most severe problems because those drugs have the shortest half-lives, which make them the quickest to exit the system
No, the problem is that there is no way to actually see and physically measure a neurotransmitter, to test if the hypothesis is correct or not.

Kids are the most over diagnosed of the lot. Act up as a teenager naturally does and an over concerned parent or Teacher will get you seen by a therapist or Doctor that has a vested interest in you being depressed.

The local mental health facility went from treating adults and senile old to no old people only about 10 beds for adults and almost exclusively treating teenagers and small children.

Further in children and teenagers the drugs that are common to the current era do not work on them. They actually induce the very effects they are supposed to treat.
Kids are overdiagnosed for just about all unquantifiable and unverifiable "disorders"...It's good to catch the kids while they're young, so they can be programmed to think that they are on the effect end of the world and their bodies....Makes for much more compliant little proles.

Actually, antidepressants are not addicting, so no one is 'hooked'. The only one I know of that has a street value is Elavil and that is because it is sedating. They call the abuse of it 'trypping.'

Kids, I don't know, I've never worked with them, but I would not want mine on a drug like Rittalin. And these days, teachers simply don't want to have to get control and insist more and more kids be on those drugs every year.

Discontinuing use of some popular medications may cause side effects that mimic a relapse in depression.
The pain and nausea some people feel when they stop taking certain antidepressants is spurring controversy over whether these drugs should carry explicit warning labels about withdrawal.

Jame Tierney was 14 years old when she started taking Effexor, a serotonin norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor (SNRI), for her migraines. When she slowly tapered off the drug, Jame experienced vomiting, suicidal impulses, electric shock-like sensations and fatigue. She likened her confusion of time and space to special effects in the movie The Matrix.

Such withdrawal has often been mistaken for depression relapse. However, mounting testimony from people like James, who were prescribed SNRIs or selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs), such as Prozac or Zoloft, for nonpsychiatric conditions could publicize what doctors say is a phenomenon recognized since the late 1990s. Patients using Paxil and Effexor report the most severe problems because those drugs have the shortest half-lives, which make them the quickest to exit the system some experts estimate 50 to 80 percent of patients experience withdrawal from Paxil when they go cold turkey,

Are Antidepressants Addictive? | Psychology Today

They can go to community mental health centers in any town in the US for free or on sliding scale. One thing's for sure the street dealer isn't going to help.

When I worked in those prisons and someone came to me for treatment of their depression or PTSD, the first thing he would ask was, 'WHAT'S THIS GOING TO DO TO ME!'
I then reminded him that he has been accepting anything the street dealer puts in his hand without question and putting it in his body. Now, I have gone to school and have expertise in the proper use of medications and they cop the attitude that I am out to cause them irreparable harm! So, I confronted them on it.

Last edited:

That's not what you said. You said it was an opiate. That is incorrect, wannabe Doctor.

last thing I want to be is a doctor in the pseudo science of psychiatry
I prefer to actually help and heal people

If there's no way to test for it, then the doctors are just guessing...This is why depression is not a disease in the strictly defined sense...The diagnosis is made on purely anecdotal evidence.

Believe me, I'm not minimizing your particular experience...I'm just saying that the doctors are guessing and people are getting needlessly hooked on antidepressants.

Such withdrawal has often been mistaken for depression relapse. However, mounting testimony from people like Jame, who were prescribed SNRIs or selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs), such as Prozac or Zoloft, for nonpsychiatric conditions could publicize what doctors say is a phenomenon recognized since the late 1990s. Patients using Paxil and Effexor report the most severe problems because those drugs have the shortest half-lives, which make them the quickest to exit the system
No, the problem is that there is no way to actually see and physically measure a neurotransmitter, to test if the hypothesis is correct or not.

Kids are overdiagnosed for just about all unquantifiable and unverifiable "disorders"...It's good to catch the kids while they're young, so they can be programmed to think that they are on the effect end of the world and their bodies....Makes for much more compliant little proles.

Actually, antidepressants are not addicting, so no one is 'hooked'. The only one I know of that has a street value is Elavil and that is because it is sedating. They call the abuse of it 'trypping.'

Kids, I don't know, I've never worked with them, but I would not want mine on a drug like Rittalin. And these days, teachers simply don't want to have to get control and insist more and more kids be on those drugs every year.

Such withdrawal has often been mistaken for depression relapse. However, mounting testimony from people like James, who were prescribed SNRIs or selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs), such as Prozac or Zoloft, for nonpsychiatric conditions could publicize what doctors say is a phenomenon recognized since the late 1990s. Patients using Paxil and Effexor report the most severe problems because those drugs have the shortest half-lives, which make them the quickest to exit the system some experts estimate 50 to 80 percent of patients experience withdrawal from Paxil when they go cold turkey,

Yes, antidepressants can have rebound anxiety if stopped suddenly. But then your seizure medication can have rebound withdrawal as well, you likely will die of a seizure. Properly tapered off an antidepressant over 4 to 5 months, there is no rebound anxiety. I always warn my patients not to stop the medication suddenly.

Last edited:

They can go to community mental health centers in any town in the US for free or on sliding scale. One things for sure the street dealer isn't going to help.

When I worked in those prisons and someone came to me for treatment of their depression or PTSD, the first thing he would ask was, 'WHAT'S THIS GOING TO DO TO ME!'
I then reminded him that he has been accepting anything the street dealer puts in his hand without question and putting it in his body. Now, I have gone to school and have expertise in the proper use of medications and they cop the attitude that I am out to cause them irreparable harm! So, I confronted them on it.

you have simply accepted your programming and you do give out unnecessary medications that can indeed cause irreparable harm.. no question about it..a single dose of anti psychotics can cause life long movement disorders

Yes, antidepressants can have rebound anxiety if stopped suddenly. But then your seizure medication can have rebound withdrawal as well, you likely will die of a seizure. Properly tapered off an antidepressant over 4 to 5 months, there is no rebound anxiety. I always warn my patients not to stop the medication suddenly.

and that qualifies as dependency or addiction

last thing I want to be is a doctor in the pseudo science of psychiatry
I prefer to actually help and heal people

Oh. Unlucky you, you have to settle for "bullshit artist who doesn't know what the fuck he is talking about".

No it does not. SSRI rebound anxiety does not cause severe trauma, nor is it life threatening. Also, there is no craving or seeking to buy those drugs under the counter in order to get a fix because they do not give that immediate hit like things which are truly addicting give.

Wrong. By that logic, clonidine is addictive.

They can go to community mental health centers in any town in the US for free or on sliding scale. One things for sure the street dealer isn't going to help.

you have simply accepted your programming and you do give out unnecessary medications that can indeed cause irreparable harm.. no question about it..a single dose of anti psychotics can cause life long movement disorders

"Programming." LOL. An education is now 'programming.' You are so full of shit. The lifelong 'movement disorder' you refer to is Tardive Dyskenesia. Tardive is the operative word. It means late....the person has been on the drug for a considerable period of time before it happens. Switching to an atypical antipsychotic will general cause it to resolve in less than 6 months. You are steeped in gothic. Do you sleep in a casket too?

Wrong. By that logic, clonidine is addictive.

As would be insulin. And many others.

Anybody watching 60 minutes tonight? If not, watch it online. It's very interesting how some researchers are now saying that antidepressants don't work in mild or moderate cases. Heck, it sounds like the UK has already admitted it.

Take a view, it's good.

You can't go through life medicated.

Science Proves Antidepressants Addictive. Withdrawal Unbearable For Some.
As psychiatry and the giant pharmaceutical companies fight to create a PR spin that antidepressants are harmless non-addictive drugs – the truth is beginning to come out showing the dangers of these drugs. Along with horrific side effects these drugs produce while you take them, they are now proving for some people to be nearly impossible to stop taking. As this article by the Associated Press proves many patients experience terrible antidepressant withdrawal so severe that some appear to be hooked on antidepressants for life.

» Science Proves Antidepressants Addictive. Withdrawal Unbearable For Some. PSYCHIATRIC INFORMATION Archive

Forum List

Back