Antidepressants don't work?

Anybody watching 60 minutes tonight? If not, watch it online. It's very interesting how some researchers are now saying that antidepressants don't work in mild or moderate cases. Heck, it sounds like the UK has already admitted it.

Take a view, it's good.

You can't go through life medicated.

So, I'm supposed to take off my medication pump and stop the Remodulin, which has a 4 hour half life, and die within 24 hours. Thanks for the info, there. Some people DO go through life medicated unless they want to be 6 feet under.

Science Proves Antidepressants Addictive. Withdrawal Unbearable For Some.
As psychiatry and the giant pharmaceutical companies fight to create a PR spin that antidepressants are harmless non-addictive drugs – the truth is beginning to come out showing the dangers of these drugs. Along with horrific side effects these drugs produce while you take them, they are now proving for some people to be nearly impossible to stop taking. As this article by the Associated Press proves many patients experience terrible antidepressant withdrawal so severe that some appear to be hooked on antidepressants for life.

» Science Proves Antidepressants Addictive. Withdrawal Unbearable For Some. PSYCHIATRIC INFORMATION Archive

You are just ludicrous. I have never know a psych prescriber who would ever suddenly stop an SSRI. You can't control what a patient will do, but we certainly warn them not to stop it suddenly themselves. You are a blithering idiot. And sadly, you are a dangerous one.

Anybody watching 60 minutes tonight? If not, watch it online. It's very interesting how some researchers are now saying that antidepressants don't work in mild or moderate cases. Heck, it sounds like the UK has already admitted it.

Take a view, it's good.

So, I'm supposed to take off my medication pump and stop the Remodulin, which has a 4 hour half life, and die within 24 hours. Thanks for the info, there. Some people DO go through life medicated unless they want to be 6 feet under.

It's fun putting people on drugs they grow dependent on and can't live without, huh. Not for me. We Each play the hand we are dealt. I'm not here to be a cash cow for the Pharmaceutical Industry.

Take a view, it's good.

so now you are reduced to comparing genuine medical conditions with emotional states of mind ? and I cant help but notice you have yet to address the fact that a sugar pill can be a very effective treatment for depression and even psychosis...why not ?

As psychiatry and the giant pharmaceutical companies fight to create a PR spin that antidepressants are harmless non-addictive drugs – the truth is beginning to come out showing the dangers of these drugs. Along with horrific side effects these drugs produce while you take them, they are now proving for some people to be nearly impossible to stop taking. As this article by the Associated Press proves many patients experience terrible antidepressant withdrawal so severe that some appear to be hooked on antidepressants for life.

» Science Proves Antidepressants Addictive. Withdrawal Unbearable For Some. PSYCHIATRIC INFORMATION Archive

You are just ludicrous. I have never know a psych prescriber who would ever suddenly stop an SSRI. You can't control what a patient will do, but we certainly warn them not to stop it suddenly themselves. You are a blithering idiot. And sadly, you are a dangerous one.

I would not suggest anyone stop medications suddenly or without being under the supervision of a doctor skilled in Orthomolecular therapy...drama queen

I would not suggest anyone stop medications suddenly or without being under the supervision of a doctor skilled in Orthomolecular therapy...drama queen

Neither am I. My concern is the inability to trust Physicians and Pharmacist's at face value. That trust was breached long ago. Sneaky, obnoxious, Fuckers.

It's fun putting people on drugs they grow dependent on and can't live without, huh. Not for me. We Each play the hand we are dealt. I'm not here to be a cash cow for the Pharmaceutical Industry.

You really don't get it. I have a disease called Pulmonary Hypertension. I would have been dead before the end of the year if not for this medication and pump. I will be dead within 24 hours of going off it if I don't get help. This disease is an endothelial disorder, which means my lungs are filling up with skin, even in the face of treatment. But with this medication, which expands the vessels of the lungs to allow oxygen in, I might get to see my grandbaby, who is now 18 months, graduate from kindergarten. Maybe. I have to keep 2 functioning pumps and extra medicine and supplies with me at all times. I have had two pump malfunctions, both on the weekend. They don't wait to overnight it on Monday. They courier another one down here for me.

It is the same for diabetics who have to be on insulin pumps. They will die without the medication and the pump. It is easy for the person who has no medical problems and knows nothing about the nature of medications to make sweeping generalizations about the rest of us. Of course you don't appreciate my life, my children, or my grandbaby as I do. So you wouldn't know, and it is clear you don't care, how precious these last few months have been.

Neither am I. My concern is the inability to trust Physicians and Pharmacist's at face value. That trust was breached long ago. Sneaky, obnoxious, Fuckers.

Well, that was arcane.

so now you are reduced to comparing genuine medical conditions with emotional states of mind ? and I cant help but notice you have yet to address the fact that a sugar pill can be a very effective treatment for depression and even psychosis...why not ?

No. The evidence says nothing about placebos being effective in treating psychosis.

I say, bring back shock treatments! They completely cured my aunt and uncle of major, incapacitating depression. My uncle ended up dying just last year of prostate cancer and my aunt died suddenly of unknown causes some years back.

They never went anywhere. ECT is still used in the treatment of major depressive disorder that doesn't respond to medical treatment.

I say, bring back shock treatments! They completely cured my aunt and uncle of major, incapacitating depression. My uncle ended up dying just last year of prostate cancer and my aunt died suddenly of unknown causes some years back.

ECT has been back for decades. They were doing about 100/day when I worked at a private psych hosptial in Nashville in the 90s. I used to assist with it when I worked at the VA. But ECT is not for mild forms of depression.

No. The evidence says nothing about placebos being effective in treating psychosis.

That's because they are NOT effective at treating psychosis! LOL~

They never went anywhere. ECT is still used in the treatment of major depressive disorder that doesn't respond to medical treatment.

I already told him that and that I had them done to me, for no effect. Of course I can't remember what I was like after the treatments because they destroy short term memory. But the doctors assured me after 3 treatments they were not doing anything for me.

My depression is so bad that for most of the time I am maxxed on celexa and maxed on geodon. I went down to 40 on celexa a couple months ago and now I have problems at night, doc says since it is not every night he won't increase the celexa just yet.

People that have never suffered through major depression haven't a fucking clue. And those that have never had a family member or close friend suffer either are the most clueless of all.

I loved the argument that since the meds did not cure me I should quit taking them. My disorder is not likely to ever be cured. I asked and never got an answer when I asked if that meant diabetics should quit insulin since it does not cure them.

I already told him that and that I had them done to me, for no effect. Of course I can't remember what I was like after the treatments because they destroy short term memory. But the doctors assured me after 3 treatments they were not doing anything for me.

My depression is so bad that for most of the time I am maxxed on celexa and maxed on geodon. I went down to 40 on celexa a couple months ago and now I have problems at night, doc says since it is not every night he won't increase the celexa just yet.

People that have never suffered through major depression haven't a fucking clue. And those that have never had a family member or close friend suffer either are the most clueless of all.

I loved the argument that since the meds did not cure me I should quit taking them. My disorder is not likely to ever be cured. I asked and never got an answer when I asked if that meant diabetics should quit insulin since it does not cure them.

And as if anything less than a cure is useless. Many things can not be cured, they can only be treated.

Of course, when that person is telling someone to use heroin for their anxiety disorder, they are a joker.

I am glad you are happy with your treatment plan.

The Celexa was lowered due to the new data indicating the higher doses can cause cardiac damage. I changed my patients who decompensated on the lower dose of Celexa to Zoloft or Lexapro. Those are all around stronger drugs. Paxil interacts with cyclobenazprine so, it wasn't an option in most cases. I also have one who is doing well on Cymbalta.

Obviously. I doubht if eots would know psychosis if he saw it.

You are right, RGS, most people do not know the hell that the majorly depressed have to live every day. The book by William Styron called The Darkness Visible is a good one and describes that hell in vivid detail:

f5fd62e89da01daedc9a2110.L._AA300_.jpg

Hemingway was depressed and he sucided by shooting himself.

Styron's book shows that you can even see the depression on people. I have had patients walk in the room after a few weeks of treatment and I say, 'you're feeling better.' They looke shocked and say 'how did you KNOW, I haven't said a word?' I can see it. People are gray when they are depressed. They pink up when the depression starts to lift.

Last edited:

and your a nurse ? all these drugs are tested against a placebo and show "modest benefit " compared to a placebo

Originally Posted by Sunshine

Efficacy and extrapyramidal side-effects of the new antipsychotics olanzapine, quetiapine, risperidone, and sertindole compared to conventional antipsychotics and placebo. A meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials

Abstract
The objective of this meta-analysis is to summarize the efficacy and tolerability of the new antipsychotics risperidone, olanzapine, sertindole and quetiapine in schizophrenia compared to placebo and conventional antipsychotics. The main results are(1 ) All of the 4 new drugs are more effective than placebo, but the magnitude of the effect is only moderate [mean effect size, r, of all antipsychotics vs. placebo=0.25, with a 95% confidence interval (CI)=0.22–0.28, n=2477]. (2) According to the studies published to date, sertindole and quetiapine are as effective as haloperidol, and risperidone and olanzapine are slightly more effective than haloperidol in the treatment of global schizophrenic symptomatology. (3) With respect to negative symptoms, all new antipsychotics are more effective than placebo. However, contrary to widespread opinion, so is the `conventional' antipsychotic haloperidol. Risperidone and olanzapine are slightly superior, sertindole is as effective and—according to the only study fully published to date—quetiapine is even slightly less effective than haloperidol in this regard. (4) All new antipsychotics are associated with less frequent use of antiparkinson medication than haloperidol, with risperidone appearing to have a slightly less favourable EPS-profile than the other new antipsychotics. The methodological limitations of this review, the generalizability of the results and expectations from future research are discussed.

Elsevier

Last edited:
You are right, RGS, most people do not know the hell that the majorly depressed have to live every day. The book by William Styron called The Darkness Visible is a good one and describes that hell in vivid detail:

f5fd62e89da01daedc9a2110.L._AA300_.jpg

Hemingway was depressed and he sucided by shooting himself.

Styron's book shows that you can even see the depression on people. I have had patients walk in the room after a few weeks of treatment and I say, 'you're feeling better.' They looke shocked and say 'how did you KNOW, I haven't said a word?' I can see it. People are gray when they are depressed. They pink up when the depression starts to lift.

that has little to do with the effectiveness of SSRIs lots of people have blown there head off because of them..so whats your point ?

Forum List

Back