Antarctic sea ice 2016: Historic lows

A change from nearly 2+ standard deviations to 3- standard deviations in the space of a year is a minor deviation? OK.............

Where do you see a std deviation marker in those graphs? The point is that any statistical distribution built on 35 years of data for some parameter like that -- the "std deviation" has not yet BEEN established. At least not one that is meaningful to a climate discussion.

Do YOU know why the SIE is less this spring down there?
OK, I get what you are saying, Mr. Flacaltenn. We have a change from +2 standard deviations to -3 standard deviations in the ice melt in the Antarctic. And I don't know what it means, nor even what the primary cause. Therefore, it can be ignored. Nothing to see here, folks, just keep moving and look the other way.

Wonderful engineering point of view. LOL

A change from nearly 2+ standard deviations to 3- standard deviations in the space of a year is a minor deviation? OK.............

Where do you see a std deviation marker in those graphs? The point is that any statistical distribution built on 35 years of data for some parameter like that -- the "std deviation" has not yet BEEN established. At least not one that is meaningful to a climate discussion.

OK, I get what you are saying, Mr. Flacaltenn. We have a change from +2 standard deviations to -3 standard deviations in the ice melt in the Antarctic. And I don't know what it means, nor even what the primary cause. Therefore, it can be ignored. Nothing to see here, folks, just keep moving and look the other way.

When the "std deviation" is 1% or LESS of the mean value -- exactly how PANICKED should you get Mr Rocks?
Especially when you're making a CLIMATE argument based on only 30 years of good observation..

And where did you get the std deviations you're quoting anyways?

"Imbecile"? More of your "I haven't attacked you personally"?

This warming. Holy shit!

6a010536b58035970c0120a719dbb4970b-pi

You are shitting your pants over this?
Disregarded as not credible for a lack of a link to a source. Damn, you claim to be an engineer? You may be. One of the type I have cursed for 50 years. You see, I have had a 50+ year career as a millwright, yes, 73 and still working, and one of the primary jobs I, and other people in the trade have, is fixing the fuckups the engineers do. Things like putting high maintenance items in inaccessible areas inside the machinery. Failing to provide access for lubrication.

Oh yeah, and a bit of education. The highest class I have taken is Eng. Geo. 470/570. No degree yet, but all the lower division classes finished with the exception of Vector Calculus. And some upper division classes done.

So please, post a graph, post where it came from. No credibility granted unless I can see the article it came from.

When the "std deviation" is 1% or LESS of the mean value -- exactly how PANICKED should you get Mr Rocks?
Especially when you're making a CLIMATE argument based on only 30 years of good observation..

Click for high-resolution image. —Credit: National Snow and Ice Data Center

S_stddev_timeseries_thumb.png

Arctic Sea Ice News and Analysis | Sea ice data updated daily with one-day lag

But you knew that already, Mr. Flacaltenn.

Click for high-resolution image. —Credit: National Snow and Ice Data Center

But you knew that already, Mr. Flacaltenn.

What I KNOW is the Antarctic SIE has a much narrower statistical bound. But that doesn't prevent outliers. And what YOU already knew, was that the previous year or two, the "WEATHER" done there promoted ABOVE average sea ice.

No place on EARTH is expected to be at "at average" for any day or year. In fact, the place I live is hardly EVER within 10 degrees of avg on a day, or 4 degrees of avg in a year.

Better explanation is the slow dissipation of heat towards the poles from the recent El Nino. If you look at how the MASSIVE North/South currents travel right into and out of Antarctic you'd see the potential for delayed reaction to ocean events near the Equator. ,

Mark BrandonNovember 24, 2016Leave a reply
The seasonal cycle of sea ice extent in Antarctica has been fairly stable over the length of the satellite record. There is a slow growth of sea ice from a minimum of ~3x106 km2 in February to a maximum of ~19 x106km2 in September in February before a relatively rapid fall in the Antarctic spring.

But this year something different is going on.

Below is Tamino's image for the Southern Hemisphere, the red line is 2016 up to 16 November 2016.

SHM_Annotated.gif

The annotated seasonal extent of sea ice in the Southern hemisphere. From Tamino's post Sea Ice, North and South.
From January up to September the sea ice extent follows all previous data.

But what happened in September?

After that date it dipped low, to reach historic lows by the end of October.

Well, there goes Antarctica argument the loserterians had.

When the ice melts does that mean kids like you will stop nagging us 24/7?

"Imbecile"? More of your "I haven't attacked you personally"?

This warming. Holy shit!

You are shitting your pants over this?
Disregarded as not credible for a lack of a link to a source. Damn, you claim to be an engineer? You may be. One of the type I have cursed for 50 years. You see, I have had a 50+ year career as a millwright, yes, 73 and still working, and one of the primary jobs I, and other people in the trade have, is fixing the fuckups the engineers do. Things like putting high maintenance items in inaccessible areas inside the machinery. Failing to provide access for lubrication.

Oh yeah, and a bit of education. The highest class I have taken is Eng. Geo. 470/570. No degree yet, but all the lower division classes finished with the exception of Vector Calculus. And some upper division classes done.

So please, post a graph, post where it came from. No credibility granted unless I can see the article it came from.
That was Crick's graphic, you moron. That is too funny. You are attacking Crick's argument. Obviously you must agree with me, lol.

And it is no different that the point in time I pointed out which time has shown to be a false indicator. So stop shitting you pants because of the latest false indicator. You can always shit your pants when and if a true indicator emerges.

You skipped a point where you demonstrated that human CO2 emissions have had nothing to do with the observed warming and that the negative ice mass balance has nothing to do with the rapidly increasing temperature of the poles.

Actually it's the other way around. You haven't demonstrated that they do. You postulated that they are the cause that means you have to PROVE your hypothesis. That's how real science works.

Mr. Westwall, that was proven in 1859 by John Tyndall of England. And has been repeatedly been shown to be accurate ever since. That you disagree, means nothing at all to that reality. There are scientific journals that would welcome an article that actually definatively disproves his observations, and a Nobel awaits you if you could do it. I won't hold my breath.

No, I was attacking no one's graph, but I don't care who posts the graph, source and link, please.
lol, Crick posted the graph, moron. I re-posted it and you obviously thought it proved my point so you challenged the source. I agree with you. It does prove my point.

Mr. Westwall, that was proven in 1859 by John Tyndall of England. And has been repeatedly been shown to be accurate ever since. That you disagree, means nothing at all to that reality. There are scientific journals that would welcome an article that actually definatively disproves his observations, and a Nobel awaits you if you could do it. I won't hold my breath.
Clearly the reason you climate change religious fanatics don't use the reply button is because you are embarrassed with how the thread is playing out. Use the reply button.

What was proven by John Tyndall of England in 1859? That global warming religious fanatics would shit their pants over nothing? yes, I agree with him.

That's what happens when you fools don't use the reply button.

No, it hasn't. Tyndall merely showed that CO2 is a GHG. There has never been a empirical test that demonstrates the AGW theory. Not one.

Let's get this straight. I have no problem whatsoever with Tyndall's contribution to the GH theory. But Tyndall KNEW BETTER than to postulate the accelerations and positive feedbacks that make up the core of this rabid version CATASTROPHIC GW that has been advanced. In fact, he knew enough to say that adding MORE of a tiny fractional atmos component like CO2 does not produce the SAME effect as the previous equal addition. In other words -- there were BOUNDS on the warming power of GH gases.

He also didn't have the Cajones to start conversations about the ocean's boiling and Florida going underwater. Or that 1 or 2 degrees is the largest extinction force ever to hit the planet..

Makes no sense to me that YOU think -- it's significant that GH gases work the way Tyndall predicted. Because that's NOT the general points of contention of GW skeptics..

Let's get this straight. I have no problem whatsoever with Tyndall's contribution to the GH theory. But Tyndall KNEW BETTER than to postulate the accelerations and positive feedbacks that make up the core of this rabid version CATASTROPHIC GW that has been advanced. In fact, he knew enough to say that adding MORE of a tiny fractional atmos component like CO2 does not produce the SAME effect as the previous equal addition. In other words -- there were BOUNDS on the warming power of GH gases.

He also didn't have the Cajones to start conversations about the ocean's boiling and Florida going underwater. Or that 1 or 2 degrees is the largest extinction force ever to hit the planet..

Makes no sense to me that YOU think -- it's significant that GH gases work the way Tyndall predicted. Because that's NOT the general points of contention of GW skeptics..
I see. Then you disagree with Arrhenius? And your creds are equal to his? LOL

Clearly the reason you climate change religious fanatics don't use the reply button is because you are embarrassed with how the thread is playing out. Use the reply button.
And how is the thread playing out, Onenote?

The Antarctic sea Ice is still melting at a rate unseen since we put up satellites.

nsidc_global_area_byyear_b-800x533.jpg

Global sea ice has reached a record low – should we be worried?

We have not seen anything like this previously. Not in 1998, or at any time since the satellite record which started in 1979.

And how is the thread playing out, Onenote?

The Antarctic sea Ice is still melting at a rate unseen since we put up satellites.

nsidc_global_area_byyear_b-800x533.jpg

Global sea ice has reached a record low – should we be worried?

We have not seen anything like this previously. Not in 1998, or at any time since the satellite record which started in 1979.
Relax. It isn't the end of the world. You didn't see the irony of you calling me onenote?

"After a reaching its maximum extent unusually early and then following a period of relatively unchanging overall extent, Antarctic sea ice extent started to decline in earnest. Daily sea ice extent levels have been at second lowest in the satellite record since October 20 and below the two standard deviation range. Only the 1986 austral spring extent is lower. Ice extent is particularly low on both sides of the Antarctic Peninsula. The rapid early reduction in sea ice cover in this region may create favorable conditions for the break up of the eastern Peninsula ice shelves at the end of austral summer. Similar sea ice trends and weather conditions were present during the spring seasons preceding past ice shelf retreats (e.g., 2001 to 2002). Extensive open water, created by the downsloping fosters warmer air and surface melting, and allows longer-period ocean waves to reach the ice front of the ice shelves. Other areas of reduced sea ice cover are the Southern Ocean north of Dronning Maud Land, and the area west of the Ross Sea and north of Wilkes Land."

Forum List

Back