Another triumph of big government

Quantum Windbag

Gold Member
May 9, 2010
Just think, without the government parents might be able to name their children Dweezil or Moon Unit.

Or, God forbid, Messiah.

A judge in Tennessee changed a 7-month-old boy's name to Martin from Messiah, saying the religious name was earned by one person and "that one person is Jesus Christ."
Child Support Magistrate Lu Ann Ballew ordered the name change last week, according to WBIR-TV (Tennessee Judge orders baby's name be changed from 'Messiah' | wbir.com). The boy's parents were in court because they could not agree on the child's last name, but when the judge heard the boy's first name, she ordered it changed, too.
"It could put him at odds with a lot of people and at this point he has had no choice in what his name is," Ballew said.
It was the first time she ordered a first name change, the judge said.
Messiah was No. 4 among the fastest-rising baby names in 2012, according to the Social Security Administration's annual list of popular baby names.

Tenn. Judge Changes Infant's Name From 'Messiah' - ABC News

Just think, without the government parents might be able to name their children Dweezil or Moon Unit.

Or, God forbid, Messiah.

A judge in Tennessee changed a 7-month-old boy's name to Martin from Messiah, saying the religious name was earned by one person and "that one person is Jesus Christ."
Child Support Magistrate Lu Ann Ballew ordered the name change last week, according to WBIR-TV (Tennessee Judge orders baby's name be changed from 'Messiah' | wbir.com). The boy's parents were in court because they could not agree on the child's last name, but when the judge heard the boy's first name, she ordered it changed, too.
"It could put him at odds with a lot of people and at this point he has had no choice in what his name is," Ballew said.
It was the first time she ordered a first name change, the judge said.
Messiah was No. 4 among the fastest-rising baby names in 2012, according to the Social Security Administration's annual list of popular baby names.

Tenn. Judge Changes Infant's Name From 'Messiah' - ABC News

funny that and total bullshit. I cant tell you how many jesus's i have had as dishwashers and prep chefs over the years. Even better is when jesus cooks my dinner.

she based her ruling on religion and not the law..... i hope they appeal.

I am not the brightest bulb in the chandelier, but even I know the judge is a fool. According to the link provided:

“Ballew said the name Messiah could cause problems if the child grows up in Cocke County, which has a large Christian population. 'The word Messiah is a title and it's a title that has only been earned by one person and that one person is Jesus Christ," the judge said.'”

If the judge were not so blinded by his faith, he would have known the definition of 'messiah' is not restricted to Jesus, but has other applications. In the Hebrew language, messiah meant: "One who is smeared with olive oil for office of authority" or, as it is usually translated, "anointed". Generally those who served as King, priest or prophet were so anointed so that the term messiah applied to all of them (see first link, below). The word messiah has been used to define others throughout history, including the Prophet Cyrus who lived long before Christ (see second link below).

Hebrew Word Meanings
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Messiah

Over the years, 'messiah' has taken on meanings which have nothing to do with a specific religion or any religion at all. According to one dictionary messiah means: “One who is anticipated as, regarded as, or professes to be a savior or liberator” (see first link below). Another dictionary offers the following definition: “A professed or accepted leader of some hope or cause” (see second link below).

Messiah - definition of Messiah by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.
Messiah - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Clearly, the word messiah is not restricted and never has been restricted to the Christian Messiah, Jesus. The title has been conferred upon those who lived before Him and those who lived after Him. The definition of the word has evolved to include things which are completely unrelated to religion. Those who think 'messiah' could only apply to Jesus do not know the history of the word.

The judge should be sanctioned, and there is no doubt his decision will be overturned on appeal. What a jerk.

<Child Support Magistrate Lu Ann Ballew ordered the name change last week, according to WBIR-TV (Tennessee Judge orders baby's name be changed from 'Messiah' | wbir.com). The boy's parents were in court because they could not agree on the child's last name, but when the judge heard the boy's first name, she ordered it changed, too.>

I can't help but speculate wildly about these people. The mother said she 'liked the way it sounded' with the names of her other 2 children--Micah and M????

I don't know that I have ever heard of a court having to intervene to determine a last name.

Just create problems for your child---because you 'can'.

I hope they parent well and don't require further assistance from the judicial system.

Sounds like this kid's name is going to be the least of his problems, judging by these parents.

But let's get all upset about the government taking action when it was asked to.

Because that's the Wingnut Way.

Sounds like this kid's name is going to be the least of his problems, judging by these parents.

But let's get all upset about the government taking action when it was asked to.

I scanned the responses in another forum---outrage, seething with outrage and demands for an appeal.

I saw the mother and child on a CNN segment. Maybe someone can provide some counseling.

Sounds like the judge might have just 'reached her limit'---as I am reaching mine. It will be time consuming and involve some $ to appeal--even if it is granted.

Australia and/or New Zealand ban certain names.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-05-01/nz-reveals-banned-baby-names/4663570

Last edited:

What parents name their kid is none of your fucking business.

I suppose you would want the government to pick every kid's name that after all is the control freak lefty moonbat way.

I suppose you would want the government to pick every kid's name that after all is the control freak lefty moonbat way.

I should also be included in this reprimand.

My mood today is irritable and I know parental rights are important--but this woman's reasons--'it was unique and I liked the way it sounded' are not sufficient for me.

Certainly the child can learn to cope--it is possible that this will be the least unique name in many classes. At one point in time---'Yahweh, Jehovah' were too sacred to be spoken. Hopefully the name will inspire the child. I am under the impression that children are not name 'Allah'---? Different culture.

My mood today is irritable and I know parental rights are important--but this woman's reasons--'it was unique and I liked the way it sounded' are not sufficient for me.

Certainly the child can learn to cope--it is possible that this will be the least unique name in many classes. At one point in time---'Yahweh, Jehovah' were too sacred to be spoken. Hopefully the name will inspire the child. I am under the impression that children are not name 'Allah'---? Different culture.

her reasons don't have to be sufficient for you.

It's not your kid and you have absolutely no say in what that kid is named do you?

It's not your kid and you have absolutely no say in what that kid is named do you?

I don't really care---I don't like the choice of name. jmo.

Glad she will have the additional responsibility of filing an appeal.

Who asked the court to change the kids name? What they asked it to do was settle a dispute about the last name after the divorce of the parents. Courts actually do that all the time, even if you are so stupid you don't know it. Every divorce order includes an order about the last name of the children, even if it is agreed upon by the parents.

But thanks for sticking up for your big government credentials and defending the government even when it is wrong. Unless, that is, you can show me something in the Constitution of Tennessee, or the US, that prohibits people from choosing a name that might offend a religion.keep telling me is not using a gun, to change a name that offended he religious beliefs. That makes you a full fledged hypocrite.

You just supported a judge exercising the power of the state, which you

Idiot.

Last edited:

There are 99 names of Allah, and naming a child Allah is actually a very common thing in Islamic cultures.

Muslim baby names Muslim male baby name Muslim female baby name

All Jewish names that end with -el are referring to YHWH.

Maybe you should relax.

She should be able to sue that idiot judge for legal costs and punitive damages.

She should be able to sue that idiot judge for legal costs and punitive damages.

then litigate away--a learning experience--if you enjoy that sort of thing.

'Many roads to God/Higher Power'--He wouldn't be offended.

I can certainly think of many other names that would go with Mason and Micah.

She should probably contact TLC--share her story with the masses.

life-of-brian_zpse1ca70ee.jpg

"E's not the messiah, e's a very naughty boy!"

Forum List

Back