Another Tea Party govt-slashing negative side effect??

bucs90

Gold Member
Feb 25, 2010
Interesting read in paper today, link is at bottom of this thread. Here's the summary and my take:

A local man complained about the tall weeds growing on the side of Interstate 526 in Mount Pleasant, SC today (Charleston's wealthiest suburb, and led by GOP Tea Party Mayor Billy Swails). He said, with the PGA Championship in town last week, it was an "embarrassment" to have his friends in town and have them see these weeds on the side of the Federally owned Interstate 526. The State of SC is in charge of keeping those trimmed.

Now, I dont know the citizen who complained. But the article says he lives in Brickyard Plantation. And I do know that subdivision. It is one of the wealthiest subdivisions, in the wealthiest suburb of Charleston. I'd guess 99.9% of their residents oppose "Tax the rich". In fact, I'd guess this guy watches Fox News, and chats with his neighbors about the need to slash government spending. The local govt of Mt Pleasant is sure doing that.

Anyway, he goes on to complain about why nothing is done about the weeds. The South Carolina Dept of Transportation explains why, and then adds that because of reduced budget, these maintenance projects have been postponed, and will likely be deferred much more in the future. The money is just not there. Not with Governor Haley and local right wing mayors slashing everything that is government these days.

So that citizen, along with countless other friends of his I'm sure, will babble on and on about how we have to slash the government, cut taxes, stop wasting money on government, etc, etc, etc. Then, between conversations, he'll gripe about why "someone" should do something about the weeds on the Interstate 526 overpass.

Gotta love it:redface:

The ONE thing he didn't do, however, is offer the state to allow him to take his personal weed eater out there on a weekend and cut the damn things himself. Nope, no way! Thats the governments job, not his!!!!

Would it be acceptable to you, bucs90, to have welfare recipients to mow the grass?

Afterall, isn't that were the explosive growth in demands on the tax base is going?

Last edited:
bucs90 was a Republican.

until he saw the light

obama_halo.jpg

Interesting read in paper today, link is at bottom of this thread. Here's the summary and my take:

A local man complained about the tall weeds growing on the side of Interstate 526 in Mount Pleasant, SC today (Charleston's wealthiest suburb, and led by GOP Tea Party Mayor Billy Swails). He said, with the PGA Championship in town last week, it was an "embarrassment" to have his friends in town and have them see these weeds on the side of the Federally owned Interstate 526. The State of SC is in charge of keeping those trimmed.

Now, I dont know the citizen who complained. But the article says he lives in Brickyard Plantation. And I do know that subdivision. It is one of the wealthiest subdivisions, in the wealthiest suburb of Charleston. I'd guess 99.9% of their residents oppose "Tax the rich". In fact, I'd guess this guy watches Fox News, and chats with his neighbors about the need to slash government spending. The local govt of Mt Pleasant is sure doing that.

Anyway, he goes on to complain about why nothing is done about the weeds. The South Carolina Dept of Transportation explains why, and then adds that because of reduced budget, these maintenance projects have been postponed, and will likely be deferred much more in the future. The money is just not there. Not with Governor Haley and local right wing mayors slashing everything that is government these days.

So that citizen, along with countless other friends of his I'm sure, will babble on and on about how we have to slash the government, cut taxes, stop wasting money on government, etc, etc, etc. Then, between conversations, he'll gripe about why "someone" should do something about the weeds on the Interstate 526 overpass.

The ONE thing he didn't do, however, is offer the state to allow him to take his personal weed eater out there on a weekend and cut the damn things himself. Nope, no way! Thats the governments job, not his!!!!
Those aren't weeds....They're "natural indigenous vegetation"....Might even be protected species.

See pp 226 & 227 in the progressive wackadoodle handbook.

Get with the program, s0n.

Those aren't weeds....They're "natural indigenous vegetation"....Might even be protected species.

See pp 226 & 227 in the progressive wackadoodle handbook.

Get with the program, s0n.

Why do libs hate Gaia?

Government slashed to the bone in SC! They don't even cut the tall grass that illegals and people on welfare should be cutting!

Booooooooooooooooooooooooosh!

Sounds like the public worker unions are getting paid so much, that there's nothing left over to pay for the equipment to remove the weeds.

Few fact and a lot of guessing in the story, do you have an actual link to this story?

Based on what was written and the few facts, someone could swing this article anyway they want. I mean he is guessing the political make up of an area he doesn't live in and then decides its 99.9%?

Who is silly enough to believe this stuff?

Forum List

Back