Another Myth

I frequently encounter the false conception that children are better at learning a second (or 3rd, or 4th, etc.) language than adults. Leaving aside first language acquisition (including symmetrical bilingualism), children are very frequently more successful in acquiring a second language in the long run, but adults are in many ways far more skilled language learners. Maybe that will seem like splitting hairs, but the point remains.
Learning language is a part of children's brain chemistry. They are literally built to learn language. There is no myth (i.e. Title of OP is "Another Myth"). There is no false conception.

I frequently encounter the false conception that children are better at learning a second (or 3rd, or 4th, etc.) language than adults. Leaving aside first language acquisition (including symmetrical bilingualism), children are very frequently more successful in acquiring a second language in the long run, but adults are in many ways far more skilled language learners. Maybe that will seem like splitting hairs, but the point remains.
Learning language is a part of children's brain chemistry. They are literally built to learn language. There is no myth (i.e. Title of OP is "Another Myth"). There is no false conception.

Stop spamming and add something, or crawl away and find a topic you are qualified to discuss.

Stop spamming and add something, or crawl away and find a topic you are qualified to discuss.
I'm not spamming. I am responding to your argument with a self evident statement that you cannot refute.

It is self evident that learning language is a part of children's brain chemistry. They are literally built to learn language. There is no myth (i.e. Title of OP is "Another Myth"). There is no false conception.

I'm not spamming. I am responding to your argument with a self evident statement that you cannot refute.

It is self evident that learning language is a part of children's brain chemistry. They are literally built to learn language. There is no myth (i.e. Title of OP is "Another Myth"). There is no false conception.

Simply repeating the same post over and over is spam. Try addressing the topic if you wish to continue.

Simply repeating the same post over and over is spam. Try addressing the topic if you wish to continue.
You worry about what you post and I'll worry about what I post. I am addressing the topic. It is self evident that learning language is a part of children's brain chemistry. They are literally built to learn language. There is no myth (i.e. Title of OP is "Another Myth"). There is no false conception.

Crawling infants all learn to stand and walk (aside from those with some physical impediment) without creating a power point presentation about their progress, but who will win a footrace, that infant or a 25 year-old adult? A 30 year-old man who is 6'10" and has been playing basketball for 20 years isn't growing at all. His 5 year-old son is growing very rapidly. Who do you pick for your team right now? A very young child necessarily has fewer and weaker neural connections and undeveloped pathways. He therefore has a vastly lesser capacity to learn and retain new information, a smaller and different working vocabulary, and actually takes much longer to fully acquire new aspects of language and usage (though, owing to natural circumstances they usually achieve greater long-term success if input remains constant and becomes more complex throughout the growth process). Adults have capacity, experience, and neurological advantages to language learning that young children do not. Adults are often, in the end, less successful in fully acquiring a second or third language due to affective issues, limited opportunity and exposure, and complexity of motivation that successful child-learners do not face.

The point of the OP, which has completely escaped you, is that "oh, I'm too old to learn a new language" is nonsense and "kids learn better" is bullshit.

Last edited:
Crawling infants all learn to stand and walk (aside from those with some physical impediment) without creating a power point presentation about their progress, but who will win a footrace, that infant or a 25 year-old adult? A 30 year-old man who is 6'10" and has been playing basketball for 20 years isn't growing at all. His 5 year-old son is growing very rapidly. Who do you pick for your team right now? A very young child necessarily has fewer and weaker neural connections and undeveloped pathways. He therefore has a vastly lesser capacity to learn and retain new information, a smaller and different working vocabulary, and actually takes much longer to fully acquire new aspects of language and usage (though, owing to natural circumstances they usually achieve greater long-term success if input remains constant and becomes more complex throughout the growth process). Adults have capacity, experience, and neurological advantages to language learning that young children do not. Adults are often, in the end, less successful in fully acquiring a second or third language due to affective issues, limited opportunity and exposure, and complexity of motivation that successful child-learners do not face.

The point of the OP, which has completely escaped you, is that "oh, I'm too old to learn a new language" is nonsense and "kids learn better" is bullshit.
Yeah, I got that. Kids do learn better. They are programmed to learn at that age.

Yeah, I got that. Kids do learn better. They are programmed to learn at that age.

I have provided you with opportunities to mitigate your ignorance. Take advantage of them.

I have provided you with opportunities to mitigate your ignorance. Take advantage of them.
Oh... you are sooo great and sooo wise. Please allow me to worship at your feet. Get over yourself already.

Oh... you are sooo great and sooo wise. .....

Nope, YOU just seem to have an unhealthy attachment to your ignorance.

So says the resident narcissist.

If you wanted a discussion, you have had many opportunities to engage in one. What is it you want?

If you wanted a discussion, you have had many opportunities to engage in one. What is it you want?
To be able to have an opinion which is different than yours and not be attacked for it.

To be able to have an opinion which is different than yours and not be attacked for it.

To not be questioned, corrected, or held accountable for your words? What a typical little liberal.

To not be questioned, corrected, or held accountable for your words? What a typical little liberal.
That isn't what I wrote, oh evasive one.

Here's the discussion... it is not a myth that children learn a second language easier than adults. Why? Because their brain chemistry is wired for learning language. They are literally wired to learn. They are like sponges. Adults? Not so much. I believe this should be self evident to anyone with half a brain. Even liberals should be able to follow this line of logic. Let the questioning begin.

Forum List

Back