Another Myth

It seems you didn't read all of it, and didn't understand any of it. All you managed to do was attempt childishly transparent dishonesty in a desperate bid to cover your retreat. Go find a topic you know anything about.

No. I did read your source. I directly quoted it and then compared it to your direct quote to show you your error.

The most generous possible conclusion is that you don't even realize you are doing so. Otherwise...

Given your responses, I don't believe you to be a generous person. I believe that you behave arrogantly and cannot accept anyone having an opinion that is different than yours.

You speak of your "belief" because you have no actual information. I have kindly provided you with some.

No. I do have actual information. Young children learn in an unconscious state of mind. They are learning and don’t even know it. Adults and older children, on the other hand, have to consciously learn the information. Why? Because learning language is part of a young child's brain chemistry. They are literally built to absorb information. That is actual information. Information that can't be refuted. I used the word "belief" because that is what I believe. You on the hand must not believe that young children learn in an unconscious state of mind or that they are learning and don’t even know it or that adults and older children have to consciously learn, or that learning language is part of a young child's brain chemistry or that they are literally built to absorb information. I have no idea why you wouldn't believe those things.

It seems you didn't read all of it, and didn't understand any of it. All you managed to do was attempt childishly transparent dishonesty in a desperate bid to cover your retreat. Go find a topic you know anything about.

No. I did read your source. I directly quoted it and then compared it to your direct quote to show you your error.

You didn't "compare," you dishonestly claimed an equivalency that I never made. Whether this is a result of your lack of character or your inability to grasp the topic, the result is the same.

You speak of your "belief" because you have no actual information. I have kindly provided you with some.

No. I do have actual information. .....

Then let's see it. I have been kind enough to educate you to on the subject, but you have provided nothing but your uninformed assumptions.
You see yourself with rose colored glasses. Others see you as you really are. How many times do I need to tell you why I believe what I do before you will stop saying I have provided you with no information. In fact, my information was so compelling that you had to resort to the ploy that I didn't understand your OP.

Learning language is part of a child's brain chemistry. FACT.
Children are literally built to learn language. FACT
Children are literally built to absorb information. FACT

You didn't "compare," you dishonestly claimed an equivalency that I never made. Whether this is a result of your lack of character or your inability to grasp the topic, the result is the same.

Wow. You took an article that stated that Children don't learn second languages quickly and easily and made the leap in logic that adults learn second languages better than children. The only one being dishonest is you.

...Young children learn in an unconscious state of mind. They are learning and don’t even know it. .....

Oh, they know it. What they don't know are words like "consciousness," "learning," and "education." Guess why? AGAIN, you are mistaking first and second language acquisition. Crawling infants all learn to stand and walk (aside from those with some physical impediment) without creating a powerpoint presentation about their progress, but who will win a footrace, that infant or a 25 year-old adult? A 30 year-old man who is 6'10" and has been playing basketball for 20 years isn't growing at all. His 5 year-old son is growing very rapidly. Who do you pick for your team right now? A very young child necessarily has fewer and weaker neural connections and undeveloped pathways. He therefore has a vastly lesser capacity to learn and retain new information, a smaller and different working vocabulary, and actually takes much longer to fully acquire new aspects of language and usage (though, owing to natural circumstances they usually achieve greater long-term success if input remains constant and becomes more complex throughout the growth process). Adults have capacity, experience, and neurological advantages to language learning that young children do not. Adults are often, in the end, less successful in fully acquiring a second or third language due to affective issues, limited opportunity and exposure, and complexity of motivation that successful child-learners do not face.

The point of the OP, which has completely escaped you, is that "oh, I'm too old to learn a new language" is nonsense and "kids learn better" is bullshit.

.... I used the word "belief" because that is what I believe. .....

You "believe" because you have no actual information to go on. I have been kind enough to provide some that even you should be able to understand, but you have chose to ignore it (or are incapable of understanding).

Wow. You took an article that stated that Children don't learn second languages quickly and easily and made the leap in logic that adults learn second languages better than children. The only one being dishonest is you.

Read the links. Ask an adult for help if you need it.

Here is a simple explanation for the confused poster above to start learning about the actual topic.

https://people.ucsc.edu/~mclaugh/MYTHS.htm

"...experimental research in which children have been

compared to adults in second language learning has consistently

demonstrated the inferiority of young children under controlled

conditions. Even when the method of teaching appears to favor

learning in children, they perform more poorly than do adolescents

and adults (e.g., Asher & Price, 1967). One exception is pronunciation, although even here some studies show better results for

older learners. Similarly, naturalistic research comparing

children and adults learning second languages as immigrants does

not support the notion that younger children are better at second

language learning..."

You can insult me all you want. You can pretend that I have not made a valid argument all you want. It doesn't change reality.

Learning language is a part of children's brain chemistry. They are literally built to learn language. There is no myth.

...You can pretend that I have not made a valid argument all you want. .....

No need to pretend. You have admitted that all you have to offer is your uninformed "belief" despite all of the actual information I have been kind enough to provide so that you might begin to learn the first thing about the subject.

No need to pretend. You have admitted that all you have to offer is your uninformed "belief" despite all of the actual information I have been kind enough to provide so that you might begin to learn the first thing about the subject.
Learning language is a part of children's brain chemistry. They are literally built to learn language. There is no myth.

You keep repeating your uninformed "belief" (you know that's SPAM, right?), and have yet to address all the information I have provided or to provide any to the contrary. Do yourself a favor and go find a topic you know anything about to discuss.

You keep repeating your uninformed "belief" (you know that's SPAM, right?), and have yet to address all the information I have provided or to provide any to the contrary. Do yourself a favor and go find a topic you know anything about to discuss.
It is not uninformed. It is self evident.

I frequently encounter the false conception that children are better at learning a second (or 3rd, or 4th, etc.) language than adults. Leaving aside first language acquisition (including symmetrical bilingualism), children are very frequently more successful in acquiring a second language in the long run, but adults are in many ways far more skilled language learners. Maybe that will seem like splitting hairs, but the point remains.

It is not uninformed. ....

You have admitted that you have nothing to go on but your personal "belief." The OP is reposted for your benefit.

Forum List

Back