Another Myth

...... then married a Mexican woman when he was in his 50's, and has been totally unable to master even conversational Spanish, despite 5 years of moderate effort......

BS has been called. That would not be moderate effort, it would be zero.
Learning language is part of a child's brain chemistry. They are literally built to absorb information.

...... then married a Mexican woman when he was in his 50's, and has been totally unable to master even conversational Spanish, despite 5 years of moderate effort......

BS has been called. That would not be moderate effort, it would be zero.
Learning language is part of a child's brain chemistry. They are literally built to absorb information.

And?

And you are wrong.

Not at all. Your non-sequitur post suggests nothing of the sort.

Young children learn in an unconscious state of mind. They are learning and don’t even know it. Adults and older children, on the other hand, have to consciously learn the information. Why? Because learning language is part of a young child's brain chemistry. They are literally built to absorb information. That is why you are wrong. Nothing non-sequitur about that.

And you are wrong.

Young children learn in an unconscious state of mind. They are learning and don’t even know it. Adults and older children, on the other hand, have to consciously learn the information. Why? Because learning language is part of a young child's brain chemistry. They are literally built to absorb information. .....

You speak in generalizations, seemingly because you don't know enough to do anything else. Read the OP and try again.

And you are wrong.

Young children learn in an unconscious state of mind. They are learning and don’t even know it. Adults and older children, on the other hand, have to consciously learn the information. Why? Because learning language is part of a young child's brain chemistry. They are literally built to absorb information. .....

You speak in generalizations, seemingly because you don't know enough to do anything else. Read the OP and try again.
No. I'm not speaking in generalizations, and you don't know anything about me. The fact of the matter is that learning language is part of a child's brain chemistry. They are literally built to absorb information. That is extremely specific and it applies to all young children. There is nothing generalized about an ability that every human being is born with.

I think we all have our limits. Some people are talented at math, for example, others are hopeless!
Same thing is for everything. I know an old guy. He's Thai and he went here 40 years ago. He lived and worked here since then but he can't speak proper Vietnamese.
I think he's not gifted at all at learning languages.
That doesn't mean he's stupid! He just has his limits like everybody else! :)

And you are wrong.

No. I'm not speaking in generalizations, and you don't know anything about me. The fact of the matter is that learning language is part of a child's brain chemistry. They are literally built to absorb information. That is extremely specific and it applies to all young children. There is nothing generalized about an ability that every human being is born with.

All you are doing is generalizing. You are just saying that children grow and develop. Gee, thanks for the insight.

Read the OP.

And you are wrong.

All you are doing is generalizing. You are just saying that children grow and develop. Gee, thanks for the insight.

Read the OP.
No. That's not what I wrote. You are wrong. I wrote, "Learning language is part of a child's brain chemistry. They are literally built to absorb information. Young children learn in an unconscious state of mind. They are learning and don’t even know it. Adults and older children, on the other hand, have to consciously learn the information." And that is why young children are better at learning languages than adults or older children. You are wrong.

Americans already speak the right language. They have no need to learn another

Last edited:

Read the OP.
No. That's not what I wrote. You are wrong. I wrote, "Learning language is part of a child's brain chemistry. They are literally built to absorb information. Young children learn in an unconscious state of mind. They are learning and don’t even know it. Adults and older children, on the other hand, have to consciously learn the information." And that is why young children are better at learning languages than adults or older children. You are wrong.

You still haven't read the OP.

Read the OP.

Sure I did. I'm not talking about 1st language acquisition and you didn't think I was either. Because if you had that would have been your first response.

Read the OP.

Sure I did. I'm not talking about 1st language acquisition and you didn't think I was either. Because if you had that would have been your first response.

You apparently do not understand the topic at all.

Read the OP.

You apparently do not understand the topic at all.
You believe that it is a myth that it is easier for children to learn a second language than it is an adult. I don't. I believe that it is easier for a young child to learn a second language because learning language is part of a child's brain chemistry and because they are literally built to absorb information. It's not that hard to understand. Please explain to me what it is that you believe I don't understand.

Forum List

Back