Another Myth

All you are doing is generalizing. You are just saying that children grow and develop. Gee, thanks for the insight.

Read the OP.
No. That's not what I wrote. You are wrong. I wrote, "Learning language is part of a child's brain chemistry. They are literally built to absorb information. Young children learn in an unconscious state of mind. They are learning and don’t even know it. Adults and older children, on the other hand, have to consciously learn the information." And that is why young children are better at learning languages than adults or older children. You are wrong.

You still haven't read the OP.
Sure I did. I'm not talking about 1st language acquisition and you didn't think I was either. Because if you had that would have been your first response.

You apparently do not understand the topic at all.
You believe that it is a myth that it is easier for children to learn a second language than it is an adult. .....

Read the OP.

No. That's not what I wrote. You are wrong. I wrote, "Learning language is part of a child's brain chemistry. They are literally built to absorb information. Young children learn in an unconscious state of mind. They are learning and don’t even know it. Adults and older children, on the other hand, have to consciously learn the information." And that is why young children are better at learning languages than adults or older children. You are wrong.

You still haven't read the OP.
Sure I did. I'm not talking about 1st language acquisition and you didn't think I was either. Because if you had that would have been your first response.

You apparently do not understand the topic at all.
You believe that it is a myth that it is easier for children to learn a second language than it is an adult. .....

Read the OP.
I did. I read all of your condescending comments. Tell me what I got wrong.

I frequently encounter the false conception that children are better at learning a second (or 3rd, or 4th, etc.) language than adults. Leaving aside first language acquisition (including symmetrical bilingualism), children are very frequently more successful in acquiring a second language in the long run, but adults are in many ways far more skilled language learners. Maybe that will seem like splitting hairs, but the point remains.

Leaving aside first language acquisition (including symmetrical bilingualism), children are very frequently more successful in acquiring a second language in the long run, but adults are in many ways far more skilled language learners.

I frequently encounter the false conception that children are better at learning a second (or 3rd, or 4th, etc.) language than adults. Leaving aside first language acquisition (including symmetrical bilingualism), children are very frequently more successful in acquiring a second language in the long run, but adults are in many ways far more skilled language learners. Maybe that will seem like splitting hairs, but the point remains.
Yep. I got that. I say you are wrong. I believe they are more successful period. I'm sorry that you could not realize that was implied.

Yep. I got that. I say you are wrong. .

And you are wrong.

And you are wrong.
Is that like nanny nanny boo boo. Can you tell me WHAT I got wrong? I don't think you can. I think you have been caught in a trap for two days and can't figure out how to save face. Let me state my position one last time. It is NOT a myth that children learn a second language easier than adults. This is because learning language is part of a child's brain chemistry and because they are literally built to absorb information. So please do go right ahead and dismiss this without any basis for your argument. It's not like I'm not used to it.

And you are wrong.
Is that like nanny nanny boo boo. Can you tell me WHAT I got wrong? I don't think you can. I think you have been caught in a trap for two days and can't figure out how to save face. Let me state my position one last time. It is NOT a myth that children learn a second language easier than adults. This is because learning language is part of a child's brain chemistry and because they are literally built to absorb information. So please do go right ahead and dismiss this without any basis for your argument. It's not like I'm not used to it.

And you are wrong.
... Can you tell me WHAT I got wrong? .....

Yes. You are confusing first and second language acquisition, and relying on nothing but uncritical generalizations

Here is a simple explanation for the confused poster above to start learning about the actual topic.

https://people.ucsc.edu/~mclaugh/MYTHS.htm
"Myth 1: Children learn second languages quickly and easily" does not equal your premise that "I frequently encounter the false conception that children are better at learning a second (or 3rd, or 4th, etc.) language than adults."

You see you have made a false equivocation. Furthermore, your initial response to my belief that learning language is part of a child's brain chemistry and that they are literally built to absorb information was that it was a non-sequitur and then you called it a generalization. Of course it was neither. Your next move was to argue that I did not understand your OP. That you were not arguing that children were not superior at learning a first language. And when I responded that I wasn't arguing about first language acquisition, I was arguing about 2nd language application, your response was that I didn't understand the topic. And now you are presenting a false equivalency that it is not easy for children to learn a second language and falsely equating to that must mean it is easier for adults to learn a second language than children. Your arguments have been weighed and measured and found to be lacking.

Here is a simple explanation for the confused poster above to start learning about the actual topic.

"Myth 1: Children learn second languages quickly and easily" does not equal your premise that "I frequently encounter the false conception that children are better at learning a second (or 3rd, or 4th, etc.) language than adults."

You see you have made a false equivocation [sic]. .....

You meant to say "equivalency," dope. Any "equivalency" drawn as above is yours. I provided a source for you to inform yourself at least a little about the topic at hand since you are clearly unfamiliar with it. You also seem unfamiliar with logic, but quite familiar with dishonesty.

Last edited:
.... I responded that I wasn't arguing about first language acquisition, I was arguing about 2nd language application......

You were confusing the two, and you continue to do so.

You see you have made a false equivocation [sic]. .....

You meant to say "equivalency," dope. Any "equivalency" drawn as above is yours. I provided a source for you to inform yourself at least a little about the topic at hand since you are clearly unfamiliar with it. You also seem unfamiliar with logic, but quite familiar with dishonesty.
No. I wrote exactly what I meant to write, but I do appreciate your insult for what it is... an admission of your defeat. When people have truth on their side, they argue facts. When people have reason on their side, they argue logic. When they have neither, they do as you just did.

I know what your source says, I used your source to show your error. So I'm pretty familiar with what your source said.

I know what your source says, I used your source to show your error. ......

It seems you didn't read all of it, and didn't understand any of it. All you managed to do was attempt childishly transparent dishonesty in a desperate bid to cover your retreat. Go find a topic you know anything about.

It's sad to hear people convince themselves that if they are a day over the critical period they 'cannot' learn another language.

It's not a matter of "can't" for many of us. I'm an American and I speak English.... why the hell would I need to know another language?

Forum List

Back