Another 'Good News' Bit

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
Seem to be finding these more, which is good:

http://www.theledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20040617/NEWS/406170396/1004

excerpts:
Published Thursday, June 17, 2004
Mourning Families Touched by President

By Diane Lacey Allen
The Ledger

Petty Officer Ron Ginther was the stern one. He always helped 8-year-old Alayna with her homework, searching the Internet for tips on preparing for the FCAT. He was the backbone of the Auburndale family.

So when the Seabee was killed by mortar fire last month, Donna Ginther worried how she would carry on without her husband. She was terrified her daughter would grow up to be a different adult without Ginther to lead the way.

Donna Ginther told President George W. Bush about her fears Wednesday when he met with families of fallen servicemen following a speech to troops at MacDill Air Force Base in Tampa.

"When I told him that, he pressed his forehead against mine and said, `You can do it, and we'll all help you through it,"' she said.

Donna Ginther took his words to heart.

"It wasn't something he was saying to make me feel better. Like trying to pacify me and walk away and forget it," she said. "He wasn't afraid to touch you. It wasn't like he was better than us. He kissed us. He cried with us. When I was crying, he cried."...

Bush also managed to lighten Donna Ginther's burden.

He did it by not only offering help but by making her daughter happy.

"George," Alayna shouted out when Bush was nearby, only to be prodded by Donna Ginther to be more formal.

"President George," said Alayna.

Alayna couldn't wait to tell the president that his brother, Gov. Jeb Bush, had remembered her birthday.

Alayna turned 9 just after the death of her father. Jeb Bush sent seven presents to the little girl -- a box filled with gifts such as a jewelry maker, sidewalk chalk and indoor hopscotch.

President Bush made his way over to Alayna and heard what Jeb Bush had done. He said he hoped she had a happy birthday.

After listening to President Bush talk about fighting terrorists on their turf, Donna Ginther said she better understood why her husband was so determined to go to Iraq because he also thought it might prevent another 9/11.

"She (Alayna) was telling me on the way home, `I'm so proud of Daddy," and I said, `Yes, he's a hero," Donna Ginther said. "And she said, `I'm proud of him because he let us meet the president.'

"I said, `He sent (Bush) right to us, and she said, `He knew we needed somebody like him in our lives.' And it's true."

Diane Lacey Allen can be reached at [email protected] or 863-802-7514.

Kathianne ,
Thanks for a great article that shows the humanity of our President . A friend of mine who lost his mother in the second tower went to the one year anniversary where President and Laura Bush met with the survivors and relatives at ground zero . The walk he and his wife made down that ramp by themselves and the meeting with those people cemented my admiration for this great leader . My friend shook his hand and told him to give the UN hell tomorrow (it was the day before he went to the Un to give his speech). He said both Presiden Bush and Laura Bush had tears streaming down their faces as they hugged each person in the group . This wasn't just some photo-op , he atually "felt their pain".
Somehow I don't see John Kerry doing anyhing like this , he is too busy avoiding his job in the Senate and getting his picture taken playing as many sports as possible . . . . cheesy.

Forum List

Back