Another Dissenting voice

Tech_Esq

Sic Semper Tyrannis!
Jul 10, 2008
Northern Virginia
CNN Meteorologist Chad Myers refuted the "arrogant" theory of man being the cause of climate change on Lou Dobbs last night.

Chad Myers refutes Man made Climate Change.

CNN Meteorologist Chad Myers had never bought into the notion that man can alter the climate and the Vegas snowstorm didn’t impact his opinion. Myers, an American Meteorological Society certified meteorologist, explained on CNN’s Dec. 18 “Lou Dobbs Tonight” that the whole idea is arrogant and mankind was in danger of dying from other natural events more so than global warming.

He also said trying to determine patterns occurring in the climate would be difficult based on such a short span. “We have 100 years worth of data, not millions of years that the world’s been around,” Myers continued.

My point exactly. We simply do not have enough REAL data to do anything more than balls out guess what's going on. I don't care how many ice cores they take. There were no accurate weather monitoring devices strategically placed around the world until recently. Their data set is so infinitesimally small as to be insignificant given the vast size and complexity of the issue.

mankind was in danger of dying from other natural events more so than global warming.

A total scam based on people's arrogance and fear of morality. Those perpetuating the fear and actually making money off it should be shot. Don't tell me it isn't a secular religion.

CNN Website: "Myers earned a bachelor's degree in meteorology from the University of Nebraska"

ROTFLAMO!

He's not even a scientist. He's a weatherman. "Meterologists" make weather predictions. Is it going to rain tommorow, or not?. They aren't climate scientists. You obviously don't understand the difference.

He doesn't have anything beyond a bachelors degree, and I challenge you to post an actual scientific research study he wrote and published in a peer reviewed scientific journal.

ROTFLAMO!

He's not even a scientist. He's a weatherman. "Meterologists" make weather predictions. Is it going to rain tommorow, or not?. They aren't climate scientists. You obviously don't understand the difference.

He doesn't have anything beyond a bachelors degree, and I challenge you to post an actual scientific research study he wrote and published in a peer reviewed scientific journal.

CNN Website: "Myers earned a bachelor's degree in meteorology from the University of Nebraska"

Hey Tech dude,

When you need expert advice on cancer, do you go to an oncologist? Or, do you go to a guy with a bachelor's degree in ecology?

CNN Meteorologist Chad Myers refuted the "arrogant" theory of man being the cause of climate change on Lou Dobbs last night.

My point exactly. We simply do not have enough REAL data to do anything more than balls out guess what's going on. I don't care how many ice cores they take. There were no accurate weather monitoring devices strategically placed around the world until recently. Their data set is so infinitesimally small as to be insignificant given the vast size and complexity of the issue.

Global Warming - Opppssssss ........... Climate Change! Sorry .........

Is the melt down of the over worked liberal mind.

Reason is not an option! lol

This conclusion is based on your expertise as a climatologist?

I'm NOT saying you are wrong, understand.

I am merely suggesting that I am not qualified to determine which set of scientists are right.

Are you?

This conclusion is based on your expertise as a climatologist?

I'm NOT saying you are wrong, understand.

I am merely suggesting that I am not qualified to determine which set of scientists are right.

Are you?

I feel that I am qualified, in this case, to determine which set of scientists is correct. First, the existance of GHGs was identified by Fourier arround 1820. Tyndal isolated CO2 as the primary GHG a bit later. In 1895, Svante Arnnhenius did the numbers for CO2, and recognized the increasing amount from the industrial revolution would start warming the atmosphere. So the science of the affect of GHGs is not new at all, and has been confirmed repeatedly.

Suess did the work in the 1950s that established that the increase in CO2 was from the anthropogenic burning of fossil fuels. Since the '60s, there has been ever increasing and intensive research into how our climate works, and how it has worked in the past. Paleo-climatology is a full blown and respectable science today, and has given us many insights into the climates, and climatic disasters of the past geologic ages.

What has been found is that if the amount of GHGs in the atmosphere is increased rapidly, there are natural feedbacks, involving sequestered CO2 and CH4, that cause adrupt climate changes. Climate changes that create conditions that cause extinctions.

Today, there is not a single scientific society, not a single National Academy of Science, not a single major university that does not state that global warming is occuring, that it is a clear and present danger, and that the primary driver is manmade GHGs. That is a clear and overwhelming scientific consensus.

But one does not have to know any of this to observe that our climate is rapidly changing. From losing two trillion tons of ice in the last few years from the worlds glaciers and ice caps, to the drunken forests of Alaska, one can readily see that the world is warming. The reason for that warming is also readily apparent. The total solar irradiance for the last 50 years has not increased, indeed, there has been an insignificant decrease. There is no vast volcanic eruption putting GHGs into the atmosphere, as there was in the P-T and PETM extinctions. The only known source for the 39% increase in CO2 in our atmosphere, is the burning of fossil fuels by man.

Given that the Milankovic driven feedback on CO2 involves a change of only 100 ppm to make the differance between ice age and interglaciel, and that we have added another 100 ppm to the interglaciel high of 280 ppm, so that we now stand and 385+ ppm, with an accelerating increase, how can we not be having a major affect on the climate?

And look at many of the leaders of the denialist movement. Singer for instance, a known charlatan that, for money, is quite willing to testify in front of Congress that tobacco smoke is harmless. Oregon Institute of Medicine and Science, that so many love to cite, a group of loonies from the great learning center of Cave Junction, Oregon. Population, 1126. One of their "petitions" claiming 31,000 scientists, had people on it that were not involved in science in any way, and a number of real scientists, when told that their signiture was on vehemently denied ever signing it, or holding the opinions expressed in the paper. And these same people, until it became too obvious to deny, denied that there was any warming at all, right up to 1998. Today, they have changed their tune to "Well, there is warming, but it is not man caused". That too, is no longer accepted by the majority of people in the world, and not accepted at all by the scientific community.

AMS Information Statement on Climate Change

Direct human impact is through changes in the concentration of certain trace gases such as carbon dioxide, chlorofluorocarbons, methane, nitrous oxide, ozone, and water vapor, known collectively as greenhouse gases. Enhanced greenhouse gases have little effect on the incoming energy of the sun, but they act as a blanket to reduce the outgoing infrared radiation emitted by Earth and its atmosphere; the surface and atmosphere therefore warm so as to increase the outgoing energy until the outgoing and incoming flows of energy are equal. Carbon dioxide accounts for about half of the human-induced greenhouse gas contribution to warming since the late 1800s, with increases in the other greenhouse gases accounting for the rest; changes in solar output may have provided an augmentation to warming in the first half of the 20th century.

Carbon dioxide concentration is rising mostly as a result of fossil-fuel burning and partly from clearing of vegetation; about 50% of the enhanced emissions remain in the atmosphere, while the rest of the Earth system continues to absorb the remaining 50%. In the last 50 years atmospheric CO2 concentration has been increasing at a rate much faster than any rates observed in the geological record of the past several thousand years. Global annual-mean surface temperatures are rising at a rapid rate to values higher than at any time in the last 400 (and probably in the last 1000) years. Once introduced in the atmosphere, carbon dioxide remains for at least a few hundred years and implies a lengthy guarantee of sustained future warming. Further, increases in greenhouse gases are nearly certain to produce continued increases in temperature. Such changes in temperature lead to changes in clouds, pressure, winds, and rainfall in a complex sequence of further effects.

Trace is a good word Current percent of the Atmosphere occupied by CO2 depending on who you ask between .032 and .038 maximum expected if we do nothing in the next 100 years .05 roughly 7% of that is due to fossil fuels the remainder is a product of vulcanism and respiration.

Hey Tech dude,

When you need expert advice on cancer, do you go to an oncologist? Or, do you go to a guy with a bachelor's degree in ecology?

Actually, I go to the person who studied it in real life for at least 2 decades, most degrees only show that you can either memorize books or cheat.

MOVE ALONG, NOTHING TO SEE.

Global Warming is a big fat lie! Everyone, get into your hummers, SUVs, yachts, tanks, whatever you have on your garage and keep PUMPING THAT CARBON INTO THE ATMOSPHERE WHERE IT BELONGS.

No, no, you know what, can that idea. Save your money, and invest in a big coal-burning plant, or maybe a plastics factory, and make it have as many smoke-shitting exhaust towers as you can possible get your engineers to create. In fact, put it near a population center. It's not like it'll do anything to anybody. It's totally healthy.

Doesn't anyone remember the cigarettes scam? All these corrupt doctors telling people not to smoke so that the evil nicotine patch industry keeps making all that fat cash. Fucking bastards. *Blows smoke-rings into a baby's face*

Don't listen to these people. Throw all your plastic bottles into the local river and stop recycling, even. That oughta show 'em that real AMERICANS aren't scared of some little molecule.

Funny fact: We are producing far less pollution per person today than we were 50 years ago, and yet the TOTAL amount is still increasing.

Oh wait! I forgot, we can't blame the breeders ... hmmm .... then what could possibly be the problem?

ROTFLAMO!

You might get more traction ridiculing a person's alma mater when the person you are talking to didn't graduate from the same school. Is there some point you trying to make about the University of Nebraska?

The point, since you clearly lack the intelligence and perhaps the education to figure it out for yourself, of putting Myers observations on the subject out there was not that he's God's gift to science, it's that he's just a working stiff, weatherman and that the momentum has now shifted so that he's willing to go against the grain and note that the sky is not falling. For the last 10 + years the dissenters have been shouted down by the pseudo-scientists and their acolytes. The fact that Myers can go out and make statements of obvious fact is a sign of change.

We can leave aside the fact that he's right in what he says.

Forum List

Back