And we are the richest nation on the planet???

Doesn't bother me....here's why. I could choose to live in a tent if I wanted to. But I choose to work 3 jobs to provide for my family. We don't drive new cars. We don't have 6 tv's in our house. We don't buy the latest fashions and we don't eat at 5 star restaurants. But we're happy...we're safe...we're warm and dry...and we're together. It's exhausting, frustrating and overwhelming...but it's satisfying to know that I don't rely on somebody else's paycheck to take care of my own responsibilities.

I feel sorry for people who have no ability to provide for themselves, and I do what I can to help with charities every now and then. But, I don't pity the ones who can't bring themselves to do something...anything...to be able to afford simple accomodations. The bottom line is that if you want something in life, go get it. Don't wait for it to be handed to you. EARN IT!!! It's always worth more to you if you earn what you get.
I don't know why, but these stories always sound phony to me. :doubt:

Hey Ravi, you're entitled to your opinion. Regardless of how ignorant it is. I'm very happy for you that you don't have to struggle like many of us do. But if you want to belittle someone's work ethic and ability to provide for their family, why don't you try the welfare office.

I'm not sure what I said that is so hard to believe. Maybe your glass bubble is just too big to recognize reality when you almost step in it.

I lived in a state forest campground for 3 months once. It was an interesting experience.

I also was homeless for 6 weeks during summer vacation from college when one lease ran out and I didn't have another place I could afford to live. I just slept at different peoples houses or i'd sneak into a campus building and sleep.

Oh those were the days. :)

The truly sad part of this is that people here actually think that living in a tent is worse than anything. All other countries have such communities and they are not shunned or thought of as less than those of us who prefer to live in buildings.

Sorry Kitten, I don't think that. It's just not what I choose for my family.

Not everyone agrees with how people should live. You do choose to live in a building, it's not something that we have to do. Humanity survived thousands of years in tents and caves, buildings are not needed.

OK...I get it...you like tent cities. cool... now move on.

Without a link to your source we can only take it as opinion.

OK everyone...It is my OPINION that the US has a GDP of $14.8 trillion

Does anyone have a different OPINION?

Well, since you responded like that I recant my apology for not noticing the link in an earlier post.

See, here's the thing, small portions of the picture do not tell a story, the whole picture does. We are in debt, we can't pay it off, therefore we are bankrupt. It would be nice if that wasn't true, but it is. If the other countries we owe money to were to come collecting today the only thing we could do is give them our land. That's what being broke means.

Like I explained before....Debt does not equate to bankruptcy.

I owe more money than I make in a year (most people with mortgages do), I am far from bankrupt. I still make more than enough money to pay the mortgage and have assets I can sell off if needed.
The US is in the same boat. We have immense money making potential and immeasurable assets. Even though people think we are worse off than China, who we owe money, they are not even close to the US in wealth by any measure

See if anyone in China would be willing to trade places with th US

Last edited:
I lived in a state forest campground for 3 months once. It was an interesting experience.

I also was homeless for 6 weeks during summer vacation from college when one lease ran out and I didn't have another place I could afford to live. I just slept at different peoples houses or i'd sneak into a campus building and sleep.

:razz: I got you beat, I was homeless for almost 7 years .... been there, done that. Probably mores because of the road trips when I was younger, but those are hazy.

OK everyone...It is my OPINION that the US has a GDP of $14.8 trillion

Does anyone have a different OPINION?

Well, since you responded like that I recant my apology for not noticing the link in an earlier post.

See, here's the thing, small portions of the picture do not tell a story, the whole picture does. We are in debt, we can't pay it off, therefore we are bankrupt. It would be nice if that wasn't true, but it is. If the other countries we owe money to were to come collecting today the only thing we could do is give them our land. That's what being broke means.

Bankruptcy is owing more than you can pay, thus it is. If we have the money to pay back the debt then why don't we?

Bankruptcy is owing more than you can pay, thus it is. If we have the money to pay back the debt then why don't we?

We don't because we don't want to and we don't have to.

I am in debt because of my mortgage. I could erase that debt by selling off my house. But I don't want to sell my house and I don't have to because I have a job. My debt is still manageable, so is the US debt.

The US has immense wealth and immense ability to make money. Our military/industrial complex is second to none. We have huge reserves of national resources. If you want to look at wealth...Take a look at the money we have invested in our military. Do you know what one aircraft costs? Do you know how many aircraft are on an aircraft carrier? Do you know how many ships are in a carrier task force? Do you realize the US has ten carrier task forces while no other nation has one that is equivalent?

:razz: I got you beat, I was homeless for almost 7 years .... been there, done that. Probably mores because of the road trips when I was younger, but those are hazy.

Road trips :)

Going on tour? ;)

Road trips :)

Going on tour? ;)

Naw, this was back when I was exploring to find out where I fit in. Fun lifestyle really, hard though, unless you are rich I wouldn't recommend trying it these days.

I am in debt because of my mortgage. I could erase that debt by selling off my house. But I don't want to sell my house and I don't have to because I have a job. My debt is still manageable, so is the US debt.

The US has immense wealth and immense ability to make money. Our military/industrial complex is second to none. We have huge reserves of national resources. If you want to look at wealth...Take a look at the money we have invested in our military. Do you know what one aircraft costs? Do you know how many aircraft are on an aircraft carrier? Do you know how many ships are in a carrier task force? Do you realize the US has ten carrier task forces while no other nation has one that is equivalent?

No, you have no net worth, you are worthless because of your debt, not to mention the real reason this recession hurt our country so bad. Sorry, but I have no respect or sympathy for anyone who lives off fake money like you do.

Doesn't bother me....here's why. I could choose to live in a tent if I wanted to. But I choose to work 3 jobs to provide for my family. We don't drive new cars. We don't have 6 tv's in our house. We don't buy the latest fashions and we don't eat at 5 star restaurants. But we're happy...we're safe...we're warm and dry...and we're together. It's exhausting, frustrating and overwhelming...but it's satisfying to know that I don't rely on somebody else's paycheck to take care of my own responsibilities.

I feel sorry for people who have no ability to provide for themselves, and I do what I can to help with charities every now and then. But, I don't pity the ones who can't bring themselves to do something...anything...to be able to afford simple accomodations. The bottom line is that if you want something in life, go get it. Don't wait for it to be handed to you. EARN IT!!! It's always worth more to you if you earn what you get.

Because ones like you do not want to believe people can and DO (quite often) get themselves out of situations without government help.... I came from a household where we walked to collect cans for meat money. No car. No cable tv. 1 ancient tv in the house. Canning garden grown food all summer to have enough for winter....

It's easier to sell the myth that government and society exists to support your personal well being, when you perpetrate the second myth that there are not tons that do overcome and show that it can readily be done

Last edited:

Because ones like you do not want to believe people can and DO (quite often) get themselves out of situations without government help.... I came from a household where we walked to collect cans for meat money. No car. No cable tv. 1 ancient tv in the house. Canning garden grown food all summer to have enough for winter....

It's easier to sell the myth that government and society exists to support your personal well being, when you perpetrate the second myth that there are tons that do overcome and show that it can readily be done

You are 110% correct in that many can and do get themselves back on track without ANY assistance from the government or anyone else for that matter. However, how can you put everyone into one category of either choosing to stay on the streets or not deserving of a hand when they hit the bottom? It's human nature. Not everyone is strong enough to pull themselves up by their own bootstraps. Do you recommed we simply throw all of these people away? While it may be true that per the Constitution, our government owes these people nothing, is that truly what America has grown into now? I got mine, screw anyone else?

It's easier to sell the myth that government and society exists to support your personal well being, when you perpetrate the second myth that there are tons that do overcome and show that it can readily be done

You are 110% correct in that many can and do get themselves back on track without ANY assistance from the government or anyone else for that matter. However, how can you put everyone into one category of either choosing to stay on the streets or not deserving of a hand when they hit the bottom? It's human nature. Not everyone is strong enough to pull themselves up by their own bootstraps. Do you recommed we simply throw all of these people away? While it may be true that per the Constitution, our government owes these people nothing, is that truly what America has grown into now? I got mine, screw anyone else?

Not everyone is 'capable' of being a CEO.. Not everyone is 'capable' of getting a date on their own... Not everyone is 'capable' of being a soldier... it does not inherently mean that the government does that for you or provides that assistance over the top for you, or provides that title for you

It is not saying I got mine and screw you... you and I and EVERYONE else is free to donate and help whomever they want out of the goodness of their heart and the freedom granted by government so that you can do it

You are not OWED it at the expense of someone else, purely for your existence... you do not get the power to donate that money of someone else, for someone else, for your choice in good feelings

But nice try

These people want to live in tent cities. If they didn't they would be CEOs of companies. Pull yourself up by your bootstraps lazy fucks!

Not everyone is 'capable' of being a CEO.. Not everyone is 'capable' of getting a date on their own... Not everyone is 'capable' of being a soldier... it does not inherently mean that the government does that for you or provides that assistance over the top for you, or provides that title for you

It is not saying I got mine and screw you... you and I and EVERYONE else is free to donate and help whomever they want out of the goodness of their heart and the freedom granted by government so that you can do it

You are not OWED it at the expense of someone else, purely for your existence... you do not get the power to donate that money of someone else, for someone else, for your choice in good feelings

But nice try

I am doing my best to keep my temper in place. Where did I post ANYWHERE that I feel anyone is owed anything by the government? I am talking about compassion. IF we are willing to spend billions on a bridge to nowhere, or on pig shit smell in Iowa, or billions on a surface to air missile defense shield that has yet to be proven to work, or to even put a man on the moon, then why can't we (our governmet spending our tax dollars) help out the less fortunate right here in the USA?

No, you have no net worth, you are worthless because of your debt, not to mention the real reason this recession hurt our country so bad. Sorry, but I have no respect or sympathy for anyone who lives off fake money like you do.

We really need to do a better job of teaching math in this country...

Of course I have net worth. I have value in my home. I also have debt related to that same home. It doesn't mean I am bankrupt. I can sell at any time and take out my principle. Just because I carry debt, doesn't mean I am bankrupt.

Are you really that simple??

Borrowing money to finance a home is part of the American dream. So I take it you have no sympathy or respect for anyone who didn't buy their home with cash?

Of course I have net worth. I have value in my home. I also have debt related to that same home. It doesn't mean I am bankrupt. I can sell at any time and take out my principle. Just because I carry debt, doesn't mean I am bankrupt.

Borrowing money to finance a home is part of the American dream. So I take it you have no sympathy or respect for anyone who didn't buy their home with cash?

No, the bank owns your home now because you are living off fake money.

But nice try

I am doing my best to keep my temper in place. Where did I post ANYWHERE that I feel anyone is owed anything by the government? I am talking about compassion. IF we are willing to spend billions on a bridge to nowhere, or on pig shit smell in Iowa, or billions on a surface to air missile defense shield that has yet to be proven to work, or to even put a man on the moon, then why can't we (our governmet spending our tax dollars) help out the less fortunate right here in the USA?

Nobody fucking exists to provide your fucking personal needs to you, or your fucking personal wants for you.... no person, no government, no community, etc... it is not a charge of the federal government, nor should it be... hell, it is not the charge of any government, nor should it be... it goes against the concept of freedom, P-E-R-I-O-D....

Do we need or should we support government paying for pig shit smell research??? Nope.. and you will not see me argue otherwise... EVER... Do we need spending on national defense, including defense capabilities against missiles?? Yes indeed AND it is a direct charge of the federal government....

Now the difference between say a road and your personal health or residence... that road can be used by anyone... your health cannot... a road is public domain.. your person, your residence, your health is not

And just because government has already grown to the level that it has and spends on crap it should not be spending on... that does not make the argument that it should also take over your personal needs and wants.... in fact it SHOULD be the argument that we should eliminate TONS of federal government expenses that the government has no business in

You want compassion.. promote voluntary charities... not forced wealth redistribution... that is what a person who loves and understands the concept of freedom and a free society would do

Last edited:

:lol: thanks Kitty

I enjoy your economic wisdom :cuckoo:

:lol: thanks Kitty

I enjoy your economic wisdom :cuckoo:

Much as it kills me, Rightwinger is correct. He owns the home. Even if he owes more than its worth, he still owns it.
Bankrupt generally means one cannot pay his bills. Plenty of people have negative net worth but manage to pay their bills on time.

Forum List

Back