And we are the richest nation on the planet???

Does this bother anyone else?

Sure. It bothers the hell outta me that so many have bought into the utopian pipedream that they'll be taken care of by the state. I bet if you go talk to most of those people you will find:

1. Serious substance abuse issues
2. Serious victim mentality issues.
3. Serious continued faith that somehow they will be saved by the government, aka, the American taxpayer.

We live with a government that continues to take our hard earned money, promising to spend it on "A", then spends it on "B", then comes wanting MORE to spend now on "C".. while "A" and "B" go broke with "C" soon to follow. Then we get "D"......

And some still blindly go along.

Very sad.

1) Show me a right to privacy in the constitution

And lest we not forget that interception of confirmed and possible enemy communication is a component of wartime operations and has precedent of such throughout the history of this country.. as already stated and shown numerous times with the history lessons of the different types of communications intercepted during different wars without ANY warrant... and lest we forget with war on a hidden terrorist, it is not just a specific battlefield and surrounding area that you patrol for communications...

When did we declare war, again?

Yet interception of communications during the Korean 'War', Vietnam 'War' etc have it covered as well... nice try... it is a military engagement authorized by congress...

I suggest you actually try and understand what is written in the constitution you partisan hack

Oh my God! :eek:...I'm a partisan hack

There is no inherent right to privacy, except that certain aspects of privacy are protected in the 1st, 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 9th amendments... these rights are very narrowly defined.... and specific in nature.. I.E. your home privacy is upheld when asked to quarter soldiers in your home... etc

Yea right...."no inherent right to privacy" except for all those areas of the Constitution protecting your rights to privacy.

And lest we not forget that interception of confirmed and possible enemy communication is a component of wartime operations and has precedent of such throughout the history of this country.. as already stated and shown numerous times with the history lessons of the different types of communications intercepted during different wars without ANY warrant... and lest we forget with war on a hidden terrorist, it is not just a specific battlefield and surrounding area that you patrol for communications...

A little problem is the declaration of war. Typically, you have to declare martial law prior to suspending idividual freedoms. Your problem comes with the interception of all communications in an attempt to find one bad guy. Kind of like searching everyones house in the hopes of finding one lawbreaker

And please show one instance of a criminal charge of anything outside of terrorist planning and action that came from one intercepted cell phone or phone conversation, obtained by the patriot act'

I thought the patriot act was to get around this stuff

Again... show the express right to privacy guaranteed or protected by the constitution.. we'll be waiting

War already explained...

and still you guys are trying to smoke screen away from the initial premise of the thread.... nice try....

Yet interception of communications during the Korean 'War', Vietnam 'War' etc have it covered as well... nice try... it is a military engagement authorized by congress...

Oh, my bad, I thought your reasoning was premised by "wartime". Thanks for the correction.

The powers of interception of enemy communication also extend to authorized conflicts...

nice try

care to get back to the original topic of the thread... or are you getting tired of getting whipped up on that as well?

And, as I pointed out, he is apparently one of those who believe the only rights we have are granted by the government and specifically spelled out in the Constitution. Thankfully, the authors of the Bill of Rights took that into consideration and provided us with the 9th Amendment.

Problem solved.

You didn't answer the question.
Andif it is read as broadly as you think, what rights are NOT granted to the people?

I did answer the question. Judging from your comments, you must be one of *those* too :lol:

If you believe the government 'grants' you your rights, I can't help ya.
No you didnt. Sorry. Try again.
You can't help me because I don't need help. You do though. You think the tooth fairy, the Loch Ness Monster, Bigfoot or some other being grants rights. That's delusional. Just as delusional as your answers to the question posed.

Andif it is read as broadly as you think, what rights are NOT granted to the people?

I did answer the question. Judging from your comments, you must be one of *those* too :lol:

You can't help me because I don't need help. You do though. You think the tooth fairy, the Loch Ness Monster, Bigfoot or some other being grants rights. That's delusional. Just as delusional as your answers to the question posed.

Unlike you (and some others), I don't think the government grants us our rights. The Bill of Rights is there to prevent the government from encroaching on our inherent rights... and as the 9th clearly states, not all of those rights are enumerated in the Constitution.

Thank God for the foresight of the authors.

Does this bother anyone else?

Sure. It bothers the hell outta me that so many have bought into the utopian pipedream that they'll be taken care of by the state. I bet if you go talk to most of those people you will find:

1. Serious substance abuse issues
2. Serious victim mentality issues.
3. Serious continued faith that somehow they will be saved by the government, aka, the American taxpayer.

We live with a government that continues to take our hard earned money, promising to spend it on "A", then spends it on "B", then comes wanting MORE to spend now on "C".. while "A" and "B" go broke with "C" soon to follow. Then we get "D"......

And some still blindly go along.

Very sad.

Have you talked to any of them? I have. I find some that traveled over 3000 miles for a job only to be laid ofs two months later. I find some that came here from New Orleans and are fighting the government to get their homes in New Orleans back. I find many that are doing whatever they can to find a job and not succeeded because who wants to hire someone without a permanent address? Some have abuse problems...shouldn't they be sent to an institution that can help them? Some have mental issues, again, shouldn't they be sent to an institution that can help them? Why is it only the rich are entitled to attend the Betty Ford Clinic?

And if you move 3000 miles for the promise of a job and they lay you off 2 months later, shouldn't they pay your moving costs to go home?

I'll bet not one person here who is claiming that the homeless want to be homeless, that the poor deserve to be poor, that not one of them has ever spent any time with them and they certainly have never experienced it.

Unlike you (and some others), I don't think the government grants us our rights. The Bill of Rights is there to prevent the government from encroaching on our inherent rights... and as the 9th clearly states, not all of those rights are enumerated in the Constitution.

You're simply repeating what you've already written. Try answering the questions first.

I don't think the government grants us our rights. The Bill of Rights is there to prevent the government from encroaching on our inherent rights... and as the 9th clearly states, not all of those rights are enumerated in the Constitution.

I agree with this general statement.

You're simply repeating what you've already written. Try answering the questions first.

Well, I'll repeat myself again: If you believe the government 'grants' you your rights, sorry. Can't help ya.

To the neocommunists, if we give all of our money to government, the tent cities would disappear. We wouldn't have tent cities if the neocommunists walked the talk and started being charitable for a change.

To the neocommunists, if we give all of our money to government, the tent cities would disappear. We wouldn't have tent cities if the neocommunists walked the talk and started being charitable for a change.

You do know that conservatives are far more generous than liberals in charitable donations. Don't you?

Gallup conducted a poll that measured the level of giving by political ideology. Gallup found that the more conservative a person is, the more she or he contributes to charity and that the more liberal a person is, the less she or he contributes to charity. The chart below shows just how marked the disparity is.

charitable_donations.jpg

Also on the chart, you will notice the level of charitable giving reported by Misters
Obama and Biden for the four years prior to Obama’s appearance on the federal payroll. You will notice that their donations are very consistent with Gallup’s findings. Not shown on the chart, as the numbers are less readily available, are the charitable contributions of Bush and Cheney. I was able to find specific information for a couple of years, where it was reported that their donations ranged from 9% to 26% to 35% to 77% of their adjusted gross income.

Unfortunately it doesn't. He asked for an express right. Express here doesn't mean real fast.
And, as I pointed out, he is apparently one of those who believe the only rights we have are granted by the government and specifically spelled out in the Constitution. Thankfully, the authors of the Bill of Rights took that into consideration and provided us with the 9th Amendment.

Problem solved.

The Constitution was written to enumerate (read: limit) the powers of the federal government. That is it's primary purpose. The Constitution does not grant any rights to "We The People."

Yes, I do know conservatives are far more generous than liberals. They do more for people with less than liberals, and it isn't just the money. It's also reflected in time helping others, and in giving blood. The Syracuse University professor's study is something I would very much like to read. It does my heart good that the good folks still outnumber the bad in this nation, although at times I wonder.

Yes, I do know conservatives are far more generous than liberals. They do more for people with less than liberals, and it isn't just the money. It's also reflected in time helping others, and in giving blood. The Syracuse University professor's study is something I would very much like to read. It does my heart good that the good folks still outnumber the bad in this nation, although at times I wonder.

I hope you continue to feel good as your GOP derails healthcare reform and continues to deny coverage to US citizens who need it. Good show!:clap2:

Well, I'll repeat myself again: If you believe the government 'grants' you your rights, sorry. Can't help ya.

Great debate style. Keep repeating it.
You believe that the Tooth Fairy grants rights. That's even more unbelievable.

I hope you continue to feel good as your GOP derails healthcare reform and continues to deny coverage to US citizens who need it. Good show!:clap2:

1) The GOP is not denying anyone anything
2) The GOP is not against reform but is against a huge government program to have government options in health care
3) Your personal need is your personal responsibility.. whether that be health care, feeding yourself, wiping your own ass, or anything else..
4) If you feel the strong need to assist those less fortunate in obtaining monies for health procedures or even health insurance, nothing is stopping you from donating as much as you want to a cause or charity that helps those people

Look... we are the richest nation on earth
We are not Calcutta with people begging and starving in the streets. Whether someone "deserves" it or not, we should be able to provide a certain standard of living to everyone.

I'm not talking everyone deserves a three bedroom house in the suburbs, but a basic "three hots and a cot" which also includes healthcare.

A country as rich as the US should be able to provide a basic safety net for all citizens and not apply a "are you worthy?" standard

Beautifully put. Couldn't have said it better myself. Give everyone at least a ghost of a chance from the beginning.

Forum List

Back