And we are the richest nation on the planet???

Rightwinger a nations wealth is measured by its GDP, here is a world map with GDPs displayed as colors on it. As you can see there are a few other nations that top us, we are not the richest as a nation and our govt is bankrupt.

In order to make intelligent statements a person first has to understand the facts. What you have posted is incorrect. GDP is not a measure of wealth. It is a measure of the total output of goods and services in a year, which is more akin to income.
As to the OP, it bothers me a little. Another gov't program that takes from productive people and gives to non-productive ones (which is likely how those people got there to begin with) would bother me a whole lot more.
Fortunately there are plenty of private charities that could probably help. And if gov't could manage to lower the tax rates so people could actually have disposable income, those charities might actually benefit.

I don't know if it should or not. But I appreciate your honest answer. IF we are not willing to take care of the poorest and weakest of us, why are we willing to spend billlions of dollars on defense systems to defend their right to be the poorest and weakest?

The billions that are spent on defense, defends us all the rich, poor, strong and weak. The poor in society have the same opportunites I had. They can choose to stay poor while blaming society for their ills or they can do something about it. I see help wanted signs everyday in store fronts and fast food joints. if they really wanted to work, they would. But why should they when the taxpayers are feeding their lazy asses.

It was not all that long ago, that I thought much as you do here. However, I have learned that the "broad brush" approach is inaccurate at best. If you truly believe that all people who have fallen on hard times, CHOSE to fall on hard times, then there is no middle ground for you and i to debate upon. But, I thank you for your opinions thus far.

Your reading comprehension skills suck. What I said was "they can choose to stay poor" meaning that whatever circumstance got them there is of no consequence. I myself have fallen on hard times as a lot of Americans have, but me, like most, did something about it.

Please do not try to put words in my mouth. If you are going to quote me, be accurate.

Are you then denying that people get to where they are in life by the actions they take, the decisions they make, the efforts they give, the use of their abilities, etc??? You think that any or a majority get where they are out of the bullshit premise of "bad luck"? And even if you have 'legit' 'bad luck', are you then inherently owed a get out of jail free card at the expense of someone else, simply because you exist??

we should be able to provide a certain standard of living to everyone.

I'm not talking everyone deserves a three bedroom house in the suburbs, but a basic "three hots and a cot" which also includes healthcare.

A country as rich as the US should be able to provide a basic safety net for all citizens and not apply a "are you worthy?" standard

I dont disagree with your sentiment in this post (I deleted part of your post on purpose).

However, who do you see as being responsible to provide this? The Government or the Local Community? Or someone else?

I feel this is where our opinions diverge...we both want the same thing but I am suspicious that you not only want the government to do it but feel the government has a responsiblity to do it.

I on the other hand say its the local community's responsibility and decision to make and not the governments. Now if the local community wants to force the local government to do it by getting local laws passed through the legislative process I have no problem with that, after all it is how our system was set up to work.

I think it needs to be a combination of charities, local communities, state and federal government. The goal is a specified safety net where you are guaranteed something to eat, a place to sleep and certain necessities. If you are sick or injured, healthcare should be availble. There should also be incentives to improve your lot in life through education and public service.

Rightwinger a nations wealth is measured by its GDP, here is a world map with GDPs displayed as colors on it. As you can see there are a few other nations that top us, we are not the richest as a nation and our govt is bankrupt.

In order to make intelligent statements a person first has to understand the facts. What you have posted is incorrect. GDP is not a measure of wealth. It is a measure of the total output of goods and services in a year, which is more akin to income.

Which is the amount of wealth we create.

Feel free to actually be intelligent and explain how you would like me to measure our "wealth".

In spite of facts you still hold to that myth. We are not the richest by a long shot. Healthcare isn't a right, and people choose to live in tents.

The Richest Country by GDP is the US with an annual GDP of $14.8 trillion.

United States of America. GDP = $14,839bn, GDP per head = $48,400, PPP = $48,400
Japan. GDP = $5,388bn, GDP per head = $42,310, PPP = $35,710
China. GDP = $4,818bn, GDP per head = $3,600, PPP = $6,830
Germany. GDP = $3,440bn, GDP per head = $41,550, PPP = $36,100
France. GDP = $2,734bn, GDP per head = $43,910, PPP = $35,750
United Kingdom. GDP = $2,442bn, GDP per head = $39,470, PPP = $36,820
Italy. GDP = $2,334bn, GDP per head = $40,150, PPP = $32,210
Russia. GDP = $1,680bn, GDP per head = $11,880, PPP = $16,300
Spain. GDP = $1,581bn, GDP per head = $34,540, PPP = $32,120
Canada. GDP = $1,468bn, GDP per head = $43,860, PPP = $40,540

In spite of facts you still hold to that myth. We are not the richest by a long shot. Healthcare isn't a right, and people choose to live in tents.

United States of America. GDP = $14,839bn, GDP per head = $48,400, PPP = $48,400

Without a link to your source we can only take it as opinion.

These people obviously aren't smart enough to deal with a world financial crisis. Let's just hope they don't bring the property values down any further in the areas they're infesting.

:lol:

Don't be disrespecting my country. In spite of right wing fear mongering our country is FAR from bankrupt.

I owe more money than I make in a year (most people with mortgages do), I am far from bankrupt. I still make more than enough money to pay the mortgage and have assets I can sell off if needed.
The US is in the same boat. We have immense money making potential and immeasurable assets. Even though people think we are worse off than China, who we owe money, they are not even close to the US in wealth by any measure

Last edited:

he linked it earlier sexy kitten Richest Countries by GDP and the Poorest Country: GDP Provides Context for Richest Country's Growing Debt and Deficits | Suite101.com

OK everyone...It is my OPINION that the US has a GDP of $14.8 trillion

Does anyone have a different OPINION?

Doesn't bother me....here's why. I could choose to live in a tent if I wanted to. But I choose to work 3 jobs to provide for my family. We don't drive new cars. We don't have 6 tv's in our house. We don't buy the latest fashions and we don't eat at 5 star restaurants. But we're happy...we're safe...we're warm and dry...and we're together. It's exhausting, frustrating and overwhelming...but it's satisfying to know that I don't rely on somebody else's paycheck to take care of my own responsibilities.

I feel sorry for people who have no ability to provide for themselves, and I do what I can to help with charities every now and then. But, I don't pity the ones who can't bring themselves to do something...anything...to be able to afford simple accomodations. The bottom line is that if you want something in life, go get it. Don't wait for it to be handed to you. EARN IT!!! It's always worth more to you if you earn what you get.

he linked it earlier sexy kitten Richest Countries by GDP and the Poorest Country: GDP Provides Context for Richest Country's Growing Debt and Deficits | Suite101.com

Aaah ... my bad.

Doesn't bother me....here's why. I could choose to live in a tent if I wanted to. But I choose to work 3 jobs to provide for my family. We don't drive new cars. We don't have 6 tv's in our house. We don't buy the latest fashions and we don't eat at 5 star restaurants. But we're happy...we're safe...we're warm and dry...and we're together. It's exhausting, frustrating and overwhelming...but it's satisfying to know that I don't rely on somebody else's paycheck to take care of my own responsibilities.

I feel sorry for people who have no ability to provide for themselves, and I do what I can to help with charities every now and then. But, I don't pity the ones who can't bring themselves to do something...anything...to be able to afford simple accomodations. The bottom line is that if you want something in life, go get it. Don't wait for it to be handed to you. EARN IT!!! It's always worth more to you if you earn what you get.

:clap2:

Very well said - sadly, too many in this country have become too comfortable with the system of expectation that being born here requires no need to live up to that blessing.

OK everyone...It is my OPINION that the US has a GDP of $14.8 trillion

Does anyone have a different OPINION?

Well, since you responded like that I recant my apology for not noticing the link in an earlier post.

See, here's the thing, small portions of the picture do not tell a story, the whole picture does. We are in debt, we can't pay it off, therefore we are bankrupt. It would be nice if that wasn't true, but it is. If the other countries we owe money to were to come collecting today the only thing we could do is give them our land. That's what being broke means.

Very well said - sadly, too many in this country have become too comfortable with the system of expectation that being born here requires no need to live up to that blessing.

The truly sad part of this is that people here actually think that living in a tent is worse than anything. All other countries have such communities and they are not shunned or thought of as less than those of us who prefer to live in buildings.

I don't know why, but these stories always sound phony to me. :doubt:

The truly sad part of this is that people here actually think that living in a tent is worse than anything. All other countries have such communities and they are not shunned or thought of as less than those of us who prefer to live in buildings.

Sorry Kitten, I don't think that. It's just not what I choose for my family.

Sorry Kitten, I don't think that. It's just not what I choose for my family.

Not everyone agrees with how people should live. You do choose to live in a building, it's not something that we have to do. Humanity survived thousands of years in tents and caves, buildings are not needed.

Which is the amount of wealth we create.

Feel free to actually be intelligent and explain how you would like me to measure our "wealth".

No, actually it isn't. It relates to that but it is not synonymous. Anymore than your yearly income and your net worth are the same thing.
Feel free to argue about it and prove yourself truly worthless.

Forum List

Back