An Old White Man's Thoughts on "White Privilege"

Family Wealth is a privilege - regardless of your color or ethnicity. Michael Jordan's kids will never have to work a day in their lives.

The question is, Which opportunities are denied to "Black" people because of the color of their skin? Going to Harvard? No way. They can get in with lower scores than so-called, "white people." Getting a job? Not really. While some employers may be prejudiced there are hundreds of thousands of employers, most of whom are more interested in getting someone who will work for their pay and get along with everybody else. has nothing to do with race or ethnicity. Getting a promotion? Not usually. Most employers welcome the opportunity to promote minorities.

Name something that is denied to Black people because of their race?
"Michael Jordan's kids will never have to work a day in their lives. "

Thats only because whites couldnt keep it under wraps that Black people were good at basketball. If they could have kept it under wraps the NBA would still be all white.

Guess so....ask Trump

Generational wealth allowed him to be born on third base and act like he hit a triple

I did it all on my own......why can’t poor blacks?

Luck of the draw. C'est la vie.
And the odds are greater if you were born white

Again, that's life.

I mean, you could have been born in Bangladesh, you know.

Funny how you don't say that about Affimative Action. C'est la vie doesn't seem to apply.

Protected groups are unconstitutional.

So whites are unconstitutional.

Guess so....ask Trump

Generational wealth allowed him to be born on third base and act like he hit a triple

And the odds are greater if you were born white

Again, that's life.

I mean, you could have been born in Bangladesh, you know.

Funny how you don't say that about Affimative Action. C'est la vie doesn't seem to apply.

Protected groups are unconstitutional.
Whites are the most protected group in the history of this country.

Family Wealth is a privilege - regardless of your color or ethnicity. Michael Jordan's kids will never have to work a day in their lives.

The question is, Which opportunities are denied to "Black" people because of the color of their skin? Going to Harvard? No way. They can get in with lower scores than so-called, "white people." Getting a job? Not really. While some employers may be prejudiced there are hundreds of thousands of employers, most of whom are more interested in getting someone who will work for their pay and get along with everybody else. has nothing to do with race or ethnicity. Getting a promotion? Not usually. Most employers welcome the opportunity to promote minorities.

Where do we start?

White legacy students get admitted with lower scores than everyone.

Black unemployment stays double that of whites.

Companies are not eager to promote minorities since the majority of management positions are held by white men.

Not surprisingly, I think it's total bunk.

There are some disadvantages to being a Black male, no doubt. The so-called "presumption of innocence" is often repealed for Blacks, not only in court but also in life.

But the word "privilege" is loaded with incorrect baggage.

There are undeserved ADVANTAGES and DISADVANTAGES in life, from the standpoint of the individual, and these are heavily skewed to white people as compared to "Black" people. It is an advantage to have TWO parents, to have EDUCATED parents, to have RELIGIOUS parents, to have WEALTHY parents, to have HARD-WORKING, INDUSTRIOUS parents, and mostly to have INVOLVED parents. Conversely, it is a disadvantage to have only ONE parent, who is UNEDUCATED, NON-RELIGIOUS, POOR, LAZY, UNINVOLVED (in your life) and has poor life habits.

But these things are unrelated to race. Most of these things are controllable, at least to some extent, and weigh equally on the children regardless of race. Consider: A "white" child in a single parent home is THREE TIMES more likely to be long-term poor than a Black child in an intact (two-parent) family. A "white" child of a lazy, uneducated, poor, substance-abusing single mother is much more likely to end up in "trouble" than a Black child with better circumstances.

So talk of White Privilege is seen (by me, at least) as an attempt to BLAME white people for the cultural and personal failures of masses of Black men and mainly women, using "privilege" as an excuse for massive personal failure, regardless of how it is measured (wealth, education, substance abuse, incarceration, joblessness, etc.).

While racism exists, it seldom explains widespread poverty, ignorance, criminality, bastardy, or the making of disastrous life-choices, day after day. As long as opportunity exists (which is manifest in the few who succeed despite all the negatives that life hits one with), racism can't be blamed for the social ills plaguing the Black community, as mentioned above.

To paraphrase the Gettysburg Address, It is for us the living to take up the challenge of stopping the cycles of bastardy, abuse, scorn for education, and criminality, so that the next generations can fully exploit the near-infinite opportunities that do manifestly exist in our society.

"White Privilege" is an excuse for losers to justify their wretchedness, and blame it on others..
The effects of white privilege existed centuries before the term "White Privilege" came about to upset your sensitive sensibilities.

You people are living in a fantasy bubble based on emotion and your deep need to feel moral, when you clearly are not.

and I didn't get a loan one time--reason: I hadn't worked at my job long enough
you people are brainwashed
How Bobs Grandparents became homeowners

Generational wealth

The only argument against generational wealth is the jealousy of those who have none.
Guess so....ask Trump

Luck of racist law.
you people have no argument
don't have kids until you are financially ready

Decades ago in the city I lived in a major reason for higher rates also was No Fault insurance. Stolen vehicles and playing games with the system is also part of the deal. The areas or neighborhoods could be white also. It was called red lining.

And it shouldn't happen.
  • Do you live in a high-crime area? Grand theft auto is no game to insurance companies. Break-ins and vandalism also raise claims and rates.
How does where you live affect your auto insurance rate?

.....sorry--true---- I listened to mostly black music/dressed black/called my real brothers and black friends the N word/etc etc
...you just DON'T want to believe white people are good and blacks are evil/etc etc
TRUE
that freaks you out???!!!!!

Naw, I think most people are decent. Racism is a little more subtle than that. We tend to relate better to people who remind us of ourselves.

You, on the other hand, seem to have taken Racism up a notch or two. Probably because you are white trash and want to think you are better.

AND the auto insurance rate story is true also---
sorry to make the truth hurt

Here's an equally plausible explanation. As you had more driving experience with no accidents or incidents, your rates went down. My rates have gone down for years, as I haven't had a serious accident or moving violation since 2004.

Of course, when you live in a society where the racist cops pull you over for "Driving While Black", you are probably n ot going to have as sterling a driving record.
you just screwed up
1. prove I am a racist
2. my rates went down as SOON as I moved
hahahaahaha
no--there is NO other explanation
  • Do you live in a high-crime area? Grand theft auto is no game to insurance companies. Break-ins and vandalism also raise claims and rates.
YOU are the racist
How does where you live affect your auto insurance rate?

Officially
Blacks and minorities are treated like everyone else

Real World, they lack family wealth, family connections, equal treatment in the justice system.

The ladder of upward mobility is missing many wrungs and blacks and minorities get left at the bottom

Not surprisingly, I think it's total bunk.

There are some disadvantages to being a Black male, no doubt. The so-called "presumption of innocence" is often repealed for Blacks, not only in court but also in life.

But the word "privilege" is loaded with incorrect baggage.

There are undeserved ADVANTAGES and DISADVANTAGES in life, from the standpoint of the individual, and these are heavily skewed to white people as compared to "Black" people. It is an advantage to have TWO parents, to have EDUCATED parents, to have RELIGIOUS parents, to have WEALTHY parents, to have HARD-WORKING, INDUSTRIOUS parents, and mostly to have INVOLVED parents. Conversely, it is a disadvantage to have only ONE parent, who is UNEDUCATED, NON-RELIGIOUS, POOR, LAZY, UNINVOLVED (in your life) and has poor life habits.

But these things are unrelated to race. Most of these things are controllable, at least to some extent, and weigh equally on the children regardless of race. Consider: A "white" child in a single parent home is THREE TIMES more likely to be long-term poor than a Black child in an intact (two-parent) family. A "white" child of a lazy, uneducated, poor, substance-abusing single mother is much more likely to end up in "trouble" than a Black child with better circumstances.

So talk of White Privilege is seen (by me, at least) as an attempt to BLAME white people for the cultural and personal failures of masses of Black men and mainly women, using "privilege" as an excuse for massive personal failure, regardless of how it is measured (wealth, education, substance abuse, incarceration, joblessness, etc.).

While racism exists, it seldom explains widespread poverty, ignorance, criminality, bastardy, or the making of disastrous life-choices, day after day. As long as opportunity exists (which is manifest in the few who succeed despite all the negatives that life hits one with), racism can't be blamed for the social ills plaguing the Black community, as mentioned above.

To paraphrase the Gettysburg Address, It is for us the living to take up the challenge of stopping the cycles of bastardy, abuse, scorn for education, and criminality, so that the next generations can fully exploit the near-infinite opportunities that do manifestly exist in our society.

"White Privilege" is an excuse for losers to justify their wretchedness, and blame it on others..
You started off coherent then you fell down, skinned your knees and busted your lip on the ground. When speaking of white privilege its merely the fact that this system was setup and codified by law to ensure whites have more opportunity than everyone else.
NYC SCHOOLS CHANCELLOR RICHARD CARRANZA HAS MADE WHITENESS ‘TOXIC’, DOE INSIDERS CLAIM:

“Racial tensions appear to be one manifestation of these internal battles.”

Meanwhile, the DOE has spent hundreds of thousands of dollars on consultants to coach supervisors on how to “disrupt the power structure and dismantle institutional racism,” a supervisor said.

“There’s been a lot of discussion of white supremacy and how it manifests in the workplace, conversations about race, and looking at how the white culture behaves,” said a white executive who received the training.

“White supremacy is characterized by perfectionism, a belief in meritocracy, and the Protestant work ethic,” the exec said, adding that whites who object when accused of deep-rooted bias are called “fragile” and “defensive.”

“Can you imagine if we scrutinized blackness or brownness? We’re being trained in anti-bias not to stereotype blacks, but they’re fostering a stereotyping of whites.”​

It’s like the mainstream left is the mirror image of the alt-right or something.

Forum List

Back