An honest question to conservatives.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Liberal, Aug 25, 2012.

1. Liberal

Liberal Libruhl! Libruhl!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +182
    The Citizens United is an ideologically conservative non-profit group that challenged the Federal Election Commission and aspects of BCR Act of 2002, etc.. I am sure you all know by now..

Read more here.

Basically opening the doors for a ton of Corporate spending in elections.

Do you, as a conservative, agree that this was a good ruling from the supreme court? And furthermore, that it was the right thing for a conservative "limited" government group to do?

Not trying to flame bait, I just want to see what conservative citizens really think about this. :eusa_angel:

Last edited: Aug 25, 2012
  2. Katzndogz

Katzndogz Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,337
    There was nothing in the Citizen's United ruling that prevents substantial corporate donations from going to the DNC. They are equally capable of getting millions of dollars in donations and do. The democrats are just losing the money election. The ruling was fair.

A limited government interferes in private activity as little as possible, including donating to whatever political party it wishes. Democrats just don't like the way donations are going. They don't complain when Unions heavily donate to democrats and Unions are as much as a collective entity as a corporation.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 5
  3. naturegirl

naturegirl Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +862
    Unions have been doing this for years, it was time to level the playing field. It's either all or none. Personally I think candidates should run on their experience and knowledge.

I'm not fond of election buying but it's been going on for years. Citizens United really didn't change that much, it just made it easier so it didn't have to stay hidden. ;)

4. Liberal

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +182
    I NEVER said that it was some "exclusive" ruling that was only for the RNC..

I don't like the existence of this ability at all for ANY party.

But, you really think that the injection of countless dollars into an election is acceptable? Does that not detract from the ability for Washington to get things done for people (you know, you and me)?

Has it not been proven that an election is where the corruption can start? Political contributions with strings attached for a favor at a later point.. I think that conservatives can agree that political corruption is on both sides of the isle, does this ruling not increase the chance of the corruption?

5. Liberal

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +182
    But, it has already shown that the ability to hide behind a PAC has increased the ammount of money coming in..

6. CrusaderFrank

CrusaderFrank Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +37,068
    McCain/Feingold should be scraped as well.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  7. PredFan

PredFan Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,652
    Yes. It was a good ruling because it was accurate. Good or bad should never be a concideration from the SCOTUS.

Yes, I don't see how it goes against "limited government" as you are implying.

8. Katzndogz

Katzndogz Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,337
    No. What is real corruption is when the government gives a company government money to get a portion back as political contributions as obama has done. When a company gives only its own money, it's not corruption.

Democrats find the fact that republicans win elections unfair.

9. JanPMa

JanPMa Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Yes, you're absolutely right, but that horse is out of the barn. Obama and McCain promised to limit their campaigns to government funding and Obama reneged. We all know how well that worked out for McCain. Citizens United levels the playing field by balancing the donations that go from unions to the Dems.....and they don't like it.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  10. asaratis

asaratis Uppity Senior Citizen Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,527
    Better for private sector corporations to buy the elections than Saudi Arabia, George Soros and union goons.

Besides, the second and third posts both hit nails on heads.