An Eagle Scout Reflects On Trumps Jamboree Speech

skews13

Diamond Member
Mar 18, 2017
597784791a306.image.jpg

Profound disappointment barely seems to scratch the surface of my feelings toward both President Donald Trump and the Boy Scouts of America after the president’s speech at the National Boy Scout Jamboree in West Virginia on Monday evening.

Trump, whose meandering address contained nuggets of advice cloaked in shameless self-aggrandizement, redoubled his attacks on both Democrats and civil institutions, derided “Obamacare,” and touted economic indicators that have been on the rise for years.

I am disappointed in the president for exploiting a captive audience of young people to engage in flagrant self-promotion and to widen the chasm of division that pollutes our politics. I am disappointed in attendees who applauded the president as he demeaned his predecessor Barack Obama (who, incidentally, was involved in scouting), his former opponent Hillary Clinton, and the media.

And I am disappointed in commenters on social media who posted horrifying side-by-side images and comparisons of the Jamboree and Hitler Youth rallies.

Each group — presented with a unique opportunity to celebrate values that should guide our nation —displayed an appalling lack of self-control.

In a time of unyielding rancor, the tenets of the Scout Law were used not as ideals to which we can aspire, but as weapons with which we can bludgeon our political opponents.

So here I offer an alternate message, one that could have been given by the president to a group that aims to embody so much of what we purport to value as a country.

What Trump could have said

On a foggy evening in London more than 100 years ago, a disoriented businessman named William Boyce received directions from a young man who expected nothing in return. He was a Scout doing a good turn. Inspired by this simple act of kindness, Boyce brought an organization to America that has been part of its fabric for 107 years.

In a time when our politics divides us, the Scout Law reminds us of our duty to ourselves, to one another and to our country. It extols the virtues of citizenship; it centers our mind on service; and it reminds us of our fundamental duty to love our neighbors as ourselves.

We find wisdom in the points of the Scout Law.

A Scout is trustworthy. He can trust his neighbor; his neighbor can trust him.

A Scout is loyal — not to any one political party or ideology, but to his peers and to his country.

A Scout is helpful. He knows that when one of us succeeds, we all succeed. To that end, when he has a hand to lend, he lends it, trusting that the next time he needs a hand, someone will lend him one.

A Scout is friendly, courteous and kind. He doesn’t need a reason to show kindness to someone else, and he doesn’t expect a quid pro quo. He just does what is right.

A Scout is obedient. Whether or not he agrees with a directive, he upholds it, and then later, if he believes it's unwise, he seeks to change it through proper channels. He respects leaders and authorities, realizing that they must make decisions, and he must respect them.

A Scout is cheerful. He maintains a positive attitude even when circumstances appear bleak. When the challenges appear insurmountable, he puts a smile on his face and presses forward because he realizes the only permanent failure is a failure to put forth one’s best effort.

A Scout is thrifty. He uses his time, his energy and his money wisely.

A Scout is brave. He stands up for what he believes is right even if that means he stands alone. Faced with a moral dilemma, he turns inward to confirm what he knows is right rather than looking outward to see what the crowd is doing.

A Scout is clean— in thought, word, and deed.

A Scout is reverent. He puts God ahead of everyone and everything else. He trusts in the divine wisdom of the Lord Almighty to guide him along his path.

In this age of division and incivility, I call upon all Americans to reflect on the values of the Scout Law.

When we’re willing to work as a team, caring more about the job getting done than who gets the credit, we can overcome so many of the self-imposed barriers before us.

When we realize that leadership means putting others before ourselves, remembering the words of the scout’s oath of office (I promise to do my best to be worthy of this office for the sake of my fellow scouts and my troop and the World Brotherhood of Scouting) —which never mention self-interest — we can put ourselves on the path to the more perfect union our nation's founders envisioned some 241 years ago.

For it is in the legacy of one simple good turn by a young man done in 1909 that we are gathered today. With that in mind, go forth and serve your communities and your country one good turn, one service project and one smile at a time, knowing that the impact of your actions will be felt for generations to come.

Benjamin Pontz, a 2015 Eagle Scout from Troop 56 in Strasburg, is a sophomore political science and public policy double major at Gettysburg College. He earned the Bronze Palm, which means he earned five additional merit badges as an Eagle Scout, and remained active in his troop as an Eagle Scout. He’s also a member of LNP’s Generation Next staff.

But wait a minute................Trump told us that the leader of the Boy Scouts called him to tell him what a wonderful speech it was. Oh wait............that was just another lie by Trump and Co.

Trump is trying to tell us how great it was and that everyone loved what he had to say. Hate to tell Trump, but I was a Boy Scout when I was younger, and attendance at his speech would have been a mandatory attendance event for the jamboree, and you can bet your last dollar that each and every Scout master got his troop together and told them what would and wouldn't be considered appropriate behavior.

Hell yeah it's gonna look good when you have a captive audience that has already been coached on how to behave.

Libs found a liberal eagle scout who was willing to criticize the President of the United States but where were libs when Hussein and the rest of the democrat quagmire were criticizing the BSA after they won the Supreme Court decision that allowed them to discriminate against homosexuals? This is a crazy issue that doesn't even make sense but it illustrates the desperation of the angry borderline psychotic left wing.

But wait a minute................Trump told us that the leader of the Boy Scouts called him to tell him what a wonderful speech it was. Oh wait............that was just another lie by Trump and Co.

Trump is trying to tell us how great it was and that everyone loved what he had to say. Hate to tell Trump, but I was a Boy Scout when I was younger, and attendance at his speech would have been a mandatory attendance event for the jamboree, and you can bet your last dollar that each and every Scout master got his troop together and told them what would and wouldn't be considered appropriate behavior.

Hell yeah it's gonna look good when you have a captive audience that has already been coached on how to behave.
I was a scout and so were both of my sons. This was a very well written letter by this young scout in a non partisan way simply describing to both sides his disappointment in the Presidents self congratulatory diatribe and how it was anathema to everything the scouts stand for. Let's see how many Tumpanzees show up to prove him right.

Just goes to show that most people are stupid sheep.

So why did he have to lie about getting a call from the head of the Boy Scouts? He's a fucking pathological liar. Look it up, idiot. It's someone who lies compulsively.

Boy Scouts: Top leaders didn't call Trump to praise speech as the ...
www.latimes.com/.../la-na-essential-washington-updates-boy-scouts-top-leaders-didn-t...
3 hours ago - Trump told the Wall Street Journal in an interview published Wednesday, "I got a call from the head of the Boy Scouts saying it was thegreatest ...
Boy Scouts: Top leaders didn't call Trump to praise speech | Fox News
www.foxnews.com/.../08/.../boy-scouts-top-leaders-didnt-call-trump-to-praise-speech.ht...
3 hours ago - Trump told The Wall Street Journal in an interview published Wednesday, "I got a call from the head of the Boy Scouts saying it was thegreatest ...
Boy Scouts: Top leaders didn't call Trump to praise speech - The ...
https://www.washingtonpost.com/.../boy-scouts...leaders...call-trump...speech/.../e008e8f...
6 hours ago - Trump told The Wall Street Journal in an interview published Wednesday, “I got a call from the head of the Boy Scouts saying it was thegreatest ...
Donald Trump: Boy Scouts 'Unaware' of Call Trump Claimed | Time.com
time.com/4883422/donald-trump-boy-scouts-wall-street-journal-transcript/
22 hours ago - The Boy Scouts told TIME they are unaware of any call from national leadership placed to the White ... Trump told the Wall Street Journal that after his controversial speech at the Boy Scouts National Jamboree in West Virginia, the head of the Boy Scouts called him and told him it was "the greatest speech ...
Boy Scouts unaware of any call to Trump praising National Jamboree ...
www.washingtonexaminer.com/boy-scouts-unaware...call...trump...speech/.../263042...
6 hours ago - The Boy Scouts cast doubt Wednesday over PresidentTrump's claim ... Wall Street Journal, Trump said he heard from the leaderof the Boy Scouts ... Boy Scouts saying it was the greatest speech that was ever made to them, ...

mrobama was an 'indonesian scout' with complete uniform of flowing robes , afro , a turban plus 'koran' Skews.

Libs found a liberal eagle scout who was willing to criticize the President of the United States but where were libs when Hussein and the rest of the democrat quagmire were criticizing the BSA after they won the Supreme Court decision that allowed them to discriminate against homosexuals? This is a crazy issue that doesn't even make sense but it illustrates the desperation of the angry borderline psychotic left wing.
There's the diversion back to Obama... So predictable. Well done sir!

Last edited:
597784791a306.image.jpg

Profound disappointment barely seems to scratch the surface of my feelings toward both President Donald Trump and the Boy Scouts of America after the president’s speech at the National Boy Scout Jamboree in West Virginia on Monday evening.

Trump, whose meandering address contained nuggets of advice cloaked in shameless self-aggrandizement, redoubled his attacks on both Democrats and civil institutions, derided “Obamacare,” and touted economic indicators that have been on the rise for years.

I am disappointed in the president for exploiting a captive audience of young people to engage in flagrant self-promotion and to widen the chasm of division that pollutes our politics. I am disappointed in attendees who applauded the president as he demeaned his predecessor Barack Obama (who, incidentally, was involved in scouting), his former opponent Hillary Clinton, and the media.

And I am disappointed in commenters on social media who posted horrifying side-by-side images and comparisons of the Jamboree and Hitler Youth rallies.

Each group — presented with a unique opportunity to celebrate values that should guide our nation —displayed an appalling lack of self-control.

In a time of unyielding rancor, the tenets of the Scout Law were used not as ideals to which we can aspire, but as weapons with which we can bludgeon our political opponents.

So here I offer an alternate message, one that could have been given by the president to a group that aims to embody so much of what we purport to value as a country.

On a foggy evening in London more than 100 years ago, a disoriented businessman named William Boyce received directions from a young man who expected nothing in return. He was a Scout doing a good turn. Inspired by this simple act of kindness, Boyce brought an organization to America that has been part of its fabric for 107 years.

In a time when our politics divides us, the Scout Law reminds us of our duty to ourselves, to one another and to our country. It extols the virtues of citizenship; it centers our mind on service; and it reminds us of our fundamental duty to love our neighbors as ourselves.

A Scout is loyal — not to any one political party or ideology, but to his peers and to his country.

A Scout is helpful. He knows that when one of us succeeds, we all succeed. To that end, when he has a hand to lend, he lends it, trusting that the next time he needs a hand, someone will lend him one.

A Scout is friendly, courteous and kind. He doesn’t need a reason to show kindness to someone else, and he doesn’t expect a quid pro quo. He just does what is right.

A Scout is obedient. Whether or not he agrees with a directive, he upholds it, and then later, if he believes it's unwise, he seeks to change it through proper channels. He respects leaders and authorities, realizing that they must make decisions, and he must respect them.

A Scout is cheerful. He maintains a positive attitude even when circumstances appear bleak. When the challenges appear insurmountable, he puts a smile on his face and presses forward because he realizes the only permanent failure is a failure to put forth one’s best effort.

A Scout is brave. He stands up for what he believes is right even if that means he stands alone. Faced with a moral dilemma, he turns inward to confirm what he knows is right rather than looking outward to see what the crowd is doing.

A Scout is reverent. He puts God ahead of everyone and everything else. He trusts in the divine wisdom of the Lord Almighty to guide him along his path.

In this age of division and incivility, I call upon all Americans to reflect on the values of the Scout Law.

When we’re willing to work as a team, caring more about the job getting done than who gets the credit, we can overcome so many of the self-imposed barriers before us.

When we realize that leadership means putting others before ourselves, remembering the words of the scout’s oath of office (I promise to do my best to be worthy of this office for the sake of my fellow scouts and my troop and the World Brotherhood of Scouting) —which never mention self-interest — we can put ourselves on the path to the more perfect union our nation's founders envisioned some 241 years ago.

For it is in the legacy of one simple good turn by a young man done in 1909 that we are gathered today. With that in mind, go forth and serve your communities and your country one good turn, one service project and one smile at a time, knowing that the impact of your actions will be felt for generations to come.

Benjamin Pontz, a 2015 Eagle Scout from Troop 56 in Strasburg, is a sophomore political science and public policy double major at Gettysburg College. He earned the Bronze Palm, which means he earned five additional merit badges as an Eagle Scout, and remained active in his troop as an Eagle Scout. He’s also a member of LNP’s Generation Next staff.
Running out of things to cry about so time to dig up old shit?

So you thought what Trump said in the speech was appropriate? What was your favorite part?

Our beloved President spoke to ten's of thousands of Boy Scouts who were shouting Trump!!, Trump! and USA!!, USA!!!.....and having a wonderful time.

Then along comes the looney left liberals, talking about how wrong the Scouts were in having fun and enjoying themselves while seeing our nation's leader and hearing him speak.

No wonder liberalism is defined as a mental illness. .... :cuckoo:

. "I said, 'Who the hell wants to speak about politics when I'm in front of the Boy Scouts?' Right?"

"Today, I said we ought to change it from the word 'swamp' to the word 'cesspool' or, perhaps, to the word 'sewer.'" (nothing political there)

"As the Scout Law says: 'A Scout is trustworthy, loyal' -- we could use some more loyalty, I will tell you that." (nothing political there)

"By the way, just a question, did President Obama ever come to a jamboree?"

"Oh, you're Boy Scouts, but you know life. You know life. So -- look at you."
"He so badly wanted it, he got bored with this life of yachts and sailing and all of the things he did in the south of France and other places." (nothing like talking about adult parties and oblique references to "adult entertainment")

"I saw him at a cocktail party, and it was very sad because the hottest people in New York were at this party." (some as young as 10 years old)

"I have to tell you our economy is doing great." (uh, OK)

"Do we remember that date? Was that a beautiful date? What a date." (election day)

"And you know we have a tremendous disadvantage in the Electoral College -- popular vote is much easier."
"I went to Maine four times because it's one vote, and we won. But we won -- one vote. I went there because I kept hearing we're at 269."
"But then Wisconsin came in. Many, many years -- Michigan came in."
"Wisconsin hadn't been won in many, many years by a Republican. But we go to Wisconsin, and we had tremendous crowds. And I'd leave these massive crowds. I'd say, 'Why are we going to lose this state?'"
"So I have to tell you what we did, in all fairness, is an unbelievable tribute to you and all of the other millions and millions of people that came out and voted for Make America Great Again." (because who wants to talk about politics)

"And by the way, under the Trump administration, you'll be saying 'Merry Christmas' again when you go shopping. Believe me. 'Merry Christmas.'"
"They've been downplaying that little, beautiful phrase. You're going to be saying 'Merry Christmas' again, folks."

"I've known so many great people." (the best people. Unbelievable people I'm sure)

So then this scout talks about what Trump could have said. And these are some of his words:

---------

And then the A$$ Wholes come out and start criticizing. Who do they criticize? Trump? No, the Eagle Scout. Can you believe it? They criticize the Eagle Scout.

597784791a306.image.jpg

Where to they find these FAKE eagle scouts?

597784791a306.image.jpg

So out of 45,000 scouts the Dim douche bags could only find one who had a problem with Trump's speech?

That says it all, doesn't it?

Our beloved President spoke to ten's of thousands of Boy Scouts who were shouting Trump!!, Trump! and USA!!, USA!!!.....and having a wonderful time.

Then along comes the looney left liberals, talking about how wrong the Scouts were in having fun and enjoying themselves while seeing our nation's leader and hearing him speak.

Notice how desperate they are to make it look like the Scouts don't love Trump.

as has been reported , because i never heard the speech but i i liked best when TRUMP mentioned 'mrobama' and the Scouts started booing Dean .

Sunni, hate to tell you but that was a captive audience that was told how to behave. I was a Scout, and I can assure you that Trump's speech was a mandatory attendance event, and the Scouts were told what would and wouldn't be appropriate behavior.

Notice how desperate they are to make it look like the Scouts don't love Trump.

Yep...it's the same with the Military and Police Officers.
Libs cant stand the fact that if push comes to shove they're fucked.

Forum List

Back