America's Teacher Shortage "Worse Than We Thought"

Discussion in 'Education' started by SweetSue92, May 18, 2019.

1. SweetSue92

SweetSue92 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,175
    This new report by the Economic Policy Institute implies that low pay is the biggest contributor to the ongoing (and worsening) teacher shortage. But in my opinion, the comments on the article below tell the story. It's lack of respect and severe discipline problems that seem intractable.

We as a society must determine if the behavior problems in our schools ARE intractable or not. Right now, it's a non-story: the media chooses to chase after RUSSIA! and other squirrels. So classrooms go without teachers, teachers are leaving in droves, and young people are not going into education.

By the time everyone notices the problem, it will be beyond too late.

America's teacher shortage, driven by low pay, is 'worse than we thought'

• Thank You! Thank You! x 3
  2. andaronjim

andaronjim Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,126
    Maybe if the public schools had a few less Anchor Babies, the stress on the teachers and the system wouldn't be as bad as the liberals thought? Send the diseased brats back to their home country along with their illegal family and soon most of the problems will correct themselves..

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Funny Funny x 2
  3. SweetSue92

SweetSue92 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,175
    No doubt, all the ESL and etc is a strain. But that's just a small part of the problems in schools.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. sparky

sparky Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,331
    Show me a profession under the control of outrageous gub'mit control, and i'll show you a shortage

~S~

• Funny and Agree!! Funny and Agree!! x 3
  5. Polishprince

Polishprince Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,180
    Remote learning can certainly help with this problem. Having the children stay at home and get taught online is something that has been done to great effect by the U. of Phoenix and other institutions on the collegiate level. No reason why it can't be extended to lower levels of education.

Much greater use of modern communications technology would even out the supply of teachers as well. It wouldn't be necessary for a teacher to go out to Mud Lick, Kentucky to teach the kids out there.

Online learning would bring a virtual end to snow days, and eliminate massive expenses like brick and mortar schoolhouses, transportation for students, school lunches, etc.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. wamose

wamose VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,368
    Education would be better, morality would make a comeback and the teacher shortage would shrink if the education cartel would include principalled conservatives. Right now we have far more liberal conditioning than we have education. Progressives have engineered a system that produces non thinking, like minded nincompoops..

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
  7. petro

petro Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,379
    The system is drastically failing young males who are simply checked out and disinterested in the indoctrination. Behavior and concentration problems are addressed through medication. Lack of discipline and structure, the death of personal responsibility has led to a generation of entitled misfits who are incapable of dealing with criticism and real world situations.
    And now there is a national movement to raise age limits on drinking, smoking, and other adult decisions we trusted to younger minds in the past.

The dramatic violence increase in public schools since the inception of the Dept. of Education is no coincidence.

8. Polishprince

Polishprince Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,180

When I was in school, they didn't drug us kids if we acted up. They just used brutality to get us in line, and the idea WORKED.

Higher salaries for teachers doesn't mean better education at all. When I was a kid, my teachers were nuns in the lower grades and mostly religious brothers in high school. None of them were paid shit and made the decision to live in a community and devote their lives to educating the youths. The parochial students scored better on tests and were better behaved than our government school peers.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Admiral Rockwell Tory

Admiral Rockwell Tory Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,740
    Uh, teachers are not employed by "gub'mint" in almost every case. Why do you think they are?

10. Admiral Rockwell Tory

Admiral Rockwell Tory Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,740
    University of Phoenix? That diploma mill? Are you serious?

My daughter-in-law went to that on-line racket and got her BA in Criminal Justice paid for by the VA. No one would even call her for an interview in any law enforcement capacity. They told her that degree was not worth the paper it was printed on!

The VA will no longer recognize a degree from that criminal organization and classifies the school as "educational malpractice". Because she went there and expended her VA benefits, they are now going to reinstate her benefits so she can go to a real school!

I happen to have taught in rural KY and our biggest problem is that the kids in rural areas have zero internet access. Great idea! Let's put them ll online to teach them, but they cannot get online!

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1