ND Teacher Shortage: Students Teachers To Be "Teachers of Record"

I cannot begin to explain to anyone who has not taught how valuable classroom time is compared to university instruction. The best educations schools get education majors in the field long before student teaching, but it's far from universal to do so.

At any rate, because of the ongoing and blistering teacher shortage, North Dakota is going to take "teachers" in their Senior year of college, during student teaching, and just...make them teachers. Oh, but if they have issues, they can ask the teacher down the hall.

Worse to come, I'm sure. Shortages all over the nation, still.

With the republican war on education in full swing anyone who still wants to be a teacher is braver than I.

With the republican war on education in full swing anyone who still wants to be a teacher is braver than I.

My tribe is doing to education what the Left did to the police a couple of years ago. The crime wave in Blue cities--with people leaving and etc--is happening in education right now, and will get worse and worse and worse.

Years ago I asked why there aren't federal grants that a teacher in a underserved/poor area apply for that would bring their pay up to some agreed upon median salary for the area in which they apply? ND would not need a NYC salary.

Just to address this from an HR standpoint.

If you bring in Teachers with 0 years of experience and pay them the median salary for the area, you create a severe compensation problem with existing employees.

Median being the middle value of a dataset, which some people think of as "average". They are not the same but the discussion doesn't change.

So if you bring in a zero year teacher, immediately pay them the median salary (which would typically be those who have 8-12 years of teaching experience on a grade/step model), then you just pole vaulted the new teacher to a salary greater than the existing teachers. That ain't going to fly in any organization that understands compensation policy.

To prevent that you would have to increase the pay of ALL teachers bumping up the scale until the previous "median" salary becomes the new entry level wage and establish a new "median" salary based on all the teachers that just got a pay bump.

So what is to happen, pay them (zero year teacher) this much higher "median" salary for the first year then return them back to their correct step? (Ya, that isn't going to go over well with the new hire knowing they are going to get a pay cut starting the second year.)

Keep the new teacher who started at the "median" salary as their base and then provide step increases over time so their pay goes up from there while existing teachers with more experience are left with lower salaries? (Ya, that isn't going to go over well with the existing teachers as they know they will be making permanently less that someone with less experience.)

WW
(HR Information System Admin)

Last edited:
Are there special issues in North Dakota vs. other areas of the US that are aggravating this shortage?

Doubt it, after decades of teaching being attacked as a profession, the shortage is nationwide.

I live in VA and we are also getting hit with the shortages. This year we started a teacher accession program for those those meeting certain educational benchmarks who didn't have a teaching license as teachers and they are placed in a training program, tuition assistance and assigned a mentor to create a full license track to be completed in 2-3 years.

WW

Forum List

Back