American Troops in Shackles... Literally!!

Discussion in 'Military' started by Bonnie, Jun 15, 2006.

1. Bonnie

Bonnie Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +669
    By Michelle Malkin

http://www.JewishWorldReview.com |

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    The same rule applies in the military as does the civilian world ... incarceration is based on the severity of a crime.

If a civilian was accused of kidnapping and murdering someone, odds are he wouldn't get bail.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. Bonnie

Bonnie Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +669

Even in light of no actual charges being filed??? And shackled no less??

4. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    That was not standing operating procedure when I was in unless the servicemembers under investigation are considered flight risks. They would be relieved of field duties and assigned administrative duties until charges were filed. Again, it also depends on the severity of the crime.

I consider it extreme; however, I do not know all the circumstances surrounding their incarceration, so I am just posting some of the "what if's."

5. Bonnie

Bonnie Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +669
    I don't know military procedure, but this over the top treatment seems very politically motivated to me?

6. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    Like I said, I don't know the facts surrounding the incarceration, but my first, best guess would be yes, it's politically motivated. The Marine Corps came down hard so no one could say they were ignoring the issue ...y'know, like the libbies did in regard to Abu Ghraib when they were wailing and squealing because the slodiers weren't sent to the stocks prior to charges being rendered?

Another point to consider is the Corps is as hard on its criminals as they are any enemy. My "other" next-best guess is that these Marines wouldn't be in shackles if the Corps didn't think it had a case.

7. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
  8. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    and again:

http://defendthedefenders.org/marsoc_20070508_letter_from_ilario.php

9. Rosotar

Rosotar Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +45
    It's also important to remember that these Marines are representatives of the United States. I agree with Gunny that the treatment of these guys suggests there is a good case against them.

Crimes like this are VERY serious in that they provide propaganda for our enemies and strengthen the resistance against us, much like conservatives defending this behavior and calling for leniency does. If guilty, these Marines have increased the danger to their fellow service members and to the United States. If guilty, these guys couldn't have done more to assist the enemy if they'd actually been on their payroll.

We shouldn't be shocked by lawless behavior on the part of our troops though. It starts at the top. When there is such blatant disregard for international law and human rights at the highest level of command it's no wonder that we see it occasionally on the battlefield. If the Commander in Chief himself has no moral compass then how can we expect moral decisions all the way down the chain of command? Add to that the fact that these soldiers have been pushed literally to the breaking point by a CIC who basically doesn't give a flying flip about their well being and you have a recipe for disaster.

BTW Bonnie....I don't think that SOP regarding military criminals is "politically motivated" but I think you're trying to capitalize on it for your own cheap politically motivated agenda!

Nice try but truly pathetic!

10. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Gunny's post was from nearly a year ago: Old 06-15-2006, 09:37 PM

The same problems for the troops.