D-Day at 80

Manonthestreet

Diamond Member
May 20, 2014
Led by Capt. Dale Dye -- a decorated Marine Corps veteran who conducted the original boot camp; served as the show's military adviser; and also played the role of Col. Robert Sink -- more than a dozen "Band of Brothers" cast members will honor the men who landed on those bloody beaches eight decades ago while also raising money for veterans' charities in the process. 'Band of Brothers' Actors Are Training to Parachute into Normandy for the 80th Anniversary of D-Day
PLease dont send Joe or Kammy to this. Send someone with a tad bit more gravitas.

Reminder: This massive battle was ordered with the commanders EXPECTING casualties to be about 25%, a significant percentage of them killed.

"We" no longer tolerate that level of risk in military adventures. Indeed, our soldiers would simply refuse to engage. The same is true of basically all "Western" nations today, including, conspicuously, Israel. Compare casualties in Vietnam (50k dead, more or less) with Iraq and Afghanistan - a small fraction of that number even though hostilities went on for a longer period.

Compare with Russia, Middle Eastern countries, any Islamic country, and other primitives. They will engage without regard to expected casualties. They will engage KNOWING that significant numbers of soldiers will be killed. They view it as the cost of engaging...not a problem.

Those who think people in other countries are "just like us" are fools.

Led by Capt. Dale Dye -- a decorated Marine Corps veteran who conducted the original boot camp; served as the show's military adviser; and also played the role of Col. Robert Sink -- more than a dozen "Band of Brothers" cast members will honor the men who landed on those bloody beaches eight decades ago while also raising money for veterans' charities in the process. 'Band of Brothers' Actors Are Training to Parachute into Normandy for the 80th Anniversary of D-Day
PLease dont send Joe or Kammy to this. Send someone with a tad bit more gravitas.
Combat Also Drove Goofball Kurt Vonnegut Into Escapism

The writer J.D Salinger (The Catcher in the Rye) fought in that operation. He suffered "PTSD." His glorification of spoiled and whiney teenagers and his hiding away from society after he quit writing proves once again that only crybabies suffer from that psychobabble ailment. But it gives a good excuse for the Chickenhawks who weaseled out of having to fight the Communists, so the fake VA pushes it.

Our difference: I despise Trump and love my country. I think you love the country, too.

Every generation has the right to choose the future they want. The newer ones do not want the 1945 to 1964. They do not want to be boomers.

Their choice, and they have the right to make it.

I think it is stupendous "Band of Brothers" actors will jump into Normandy. Several men I knew had jumped or flew gliders into Normandy, Heroes, in my opinion, every one of them.

BoB was great read and an even better series. I recently watched it on NETFLIX; if anyone can do this it's Captain Dye.

What "original boot camp? Marines were busy in the Pacific while Ike's Army was in charge of D Day

I will be there for the 80th commemorations, my fourth trip and my last, i have met the veterans and am amazed by their modesty, i will travel from my home in Lancashire on the 1st june drive down to Portsmouth stay the night in a hotel then take the ferry early Sunday morning to Normandy, i will be staying very near Pegasus Bridge for ten days and visit some landing beaches and hope to meet up with a few friends from other visits,and one last visit to Ver Sur Mer where the British Normandy memorial is just behind Gold Beach for over twenty thousand British Soldiers killed in normandy, the monument is my avatar, i will also visit Bayeux military cemetery where an Uncle who i never knew is buried he landed on Gold Beach on D-Day but was killed in action on the 18th June between Bayeux and Caen he was one of nine guys killed in his Battalion in the same action, i did some research on him his Regiment provided me with a lot of information, what i found very hard to believe was his age, he was just 17years old and was from Manchester, i will also visit the American Beaches, been to Omaha Beach once before.

I will be there for the 80th commemorations, my fourth trip and my last, i have met the veterans and am amazed by their modesty, i will travel from my home in Lancashire on the 1st june drive down to Portsmouth stay the night in a hotel then take the ferry early Sunday morning to Normandy, i will be staying very near Pegasus Bridge for ten days and visit some landing beaches and hope to meet up with a few friends from other visits,and one last visit to Ver Sur Mer where the British Normandy memorial is just behind Gold Beach for over twenty thousand British Soldiers killed in normandy, the monument is my avatar, i will also visit Bayeux military cemetery where an Uncle who i never knew is buried he landed on Gold Beach on D-Day but was killed in action on the 18th June between Bayeux and Caen he was one of nine guys killed in his Battalion in the same action, i did some research on him his Regiment provided me with a lot of information, what i found very hard to believe was his age, he was just 17years old and was from Manchester, i will also visit the American Beaches, been to Omaha Beach once before.
Why your last

This is the British Normandy Memorial it's an awesome construction, i was there last June and located my Uncles name inscibed on one of the pillars,Gold beach is just behind the memorial. Mr Billinge served with 44 Royal Engineer Commando as a sapper and was one of only four to survive from his unit.

Last edited:
This is the British Normandy Memorial it's an awesome construction, i was there last June and located my Uncles name inscibed on one of the pillars,Gold beach is just behind the memorial. Mr Billinge served with 44 Royal Engineer Commando as a sapper and was one of only four to survive from his unit.

If You Forget, You'll Regret

On the way from Indiana to Florida, I had the chance to visit the parents and the grave of one of my fellow Marines killed in Vietnam, but I couldn't deal with the emotions again, so I skipped it. There was too much pressure to let go of all that.

He had been shot in the face while firing the machinegun. The bullet went through his cheek and out his neck. This used to be called a "million-dollar wound" and a guaranteed ticket home. But after five months on the hospital ship Repose, the heartless Marine Corps sent him back and got him killed.

The first thing they teach in military command is never commit to a direct assault on an impregnable fortress. The victors write the history books so the alleged "secrecy" of the Normandy landing and the legitimate valor of Americans is the focus. Static defenses might have been overwhelmed but the mobile German army soon bottled up the Normandy heroes at a cost of thousands of lives in the "breakout". Ike's strategy was apparently to use the lives of as many of American draftees as it took.

The strategy always accounted for an eventual bottlenecking within the Normandy peninsula, and that happened until St Lo. The "breakout" in Brittany and Southern France came much more quickly, in part, because of favorable terrain and fewer German troops.

Forum List

Back