The Tradition of Valor Is Being Kept

Discussion in 'Military' started by Annie, Jun 16, 2006.

1. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
  2. CSM

CSM Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +708
    You may want to define the word valor (and honor too) as neither word seems to be in the lib/Dem vocabulary.

3. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770

I think I like the introduction, then the examples that do more to define it than any dictionary could do, I'm going to edit the URL above, as it seems to be on again, off again. It's the cached version, but seems easier to access:

http://72.14.207.104/search?q=cache...lor&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=1&client=firefox-a

4. waltky

waltky Wise ol' monkey Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,871
    Granny says lock `em up an' throw away the key...
    :clap2:
    House passes bill on lying about military medals
    May 21, 2013 WASHINGTON - People who falsely claim they have received a military medal in order to obtain money or government benefits could face up to a year in jail under legislation that easily passed the House on Monday.

5. waltky

waltky Wise ol' monkey Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,871
    IRS says veterans posts should be able to prove their members are veterans...
    :cool:
    IRS rule could cause problems for veterans
    September 2, 2013 — An Internal Revenue Service policy mandating nonprofit veteran’s organizations keep documents proving members served in the military isn’t going to be easy for the Dalton American Legion to follow, according to its commander.

6. regent

regent Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,763
    Reminds me of a true story. At the end of WWII a couple of us went over to visit a friend that had been in the service. He wasn't home, but his father said wait, and he went to a bedroom and brought out a framed document. It was a dishonorable discharge and the old man had a tear in his eye as he recounted how is son, "had gone through hell."
    As we left. we realized the old man could not read, and I often wonder if anyone ever told him?

7. BlueGin

BlueGin Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,875
    Interesting article I found once about the psychological reasons people do this. Interestingly enough some do it to associate themselves with the hardships not the heroics.

Politicians and Their Fake War Stories

It’s not uncommon for people — even public officials — to lie about their military service. What’s behind this kind of deception?

http://roomfordebate.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/05/19/politicians-and-their-fake-war-stories/?_r=0

8. whitehall

whitehall Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,759
    Just for kicks read Kerry's self recommended citation for the Silver Star. While you are at it you might review the shortest Medal of Honor citation in the book awarded to MacArthur. Don't try to tell me that Medal citations are written in stone and they should never be questioned. It happens all the time. Marine General Victor Krulak's awards during WW2 were questioned and reviewed by Army brass.

9. regent

regent Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,763
    Well one should read Senator Joseph McCarthy's record of medals.
    Be that as it may, however, the part of medals that is the tragedy is of those that should have received awards and didn't. In our rifle company, in one night engagement about fifteen soldiers were wounded by morter shell fragments and not one was put in for the purple heart. Later they medals became valuable for a going home ticket and too late.
    I can imagine some of the real heroic deeds that never came to light and only a few knew about them.

Wonder why army brass reviewed A Marine's awards? The navy reviewed Kerry's.

10. bianco

bianco VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +202

Any people joining the volunteer military these days, and thereby subjecting themselves to all that, deserve nothing but the highest praise, highest respect...and valour medals in appreciation.
    Of course not everyone thinks like that, are anti-war, blame the troops for what politicians decide, and attack anyone who goes to entertain the troops.

Beccy Cole sings a song...'Poster Girl'... she entertained her nation's troops overseas, was written to and told that her poster had been ripped off the wall in disgust.