American evangelical Christians seen as impetus behind ..

Anguille

Bane of the Urbane
Mar 8, 2008
... the Ugandan Anti-Homosexuality Bill of 2009 which calls for the death penalty for homosexuals and other draconian measures.

"For three days, according to participants and audio recordings, thousands of Ugandans, including police officers, teachers and national politicians, listened raptly to the Americans, who were presented as experts on homosexuality. The visitors discussed how to make gay people straight, how gay men often sodomized teenage boys and how “the gay movement is an evil institution” whose goal is “to defeat the marriage-based society and replace it with a culture of sexual promiscuity.”
Now the three Americans are finding themselves on the defensive, saying they had no intention of helping stoke the kind of anger that could lead to what came next: a bill to impose a death sentence for homosexual behavior.

Uganda has also become a magnet for American evangelical groups. Some of the best known Christian personalities have recently passed through here, often bringing with them anti-homosexuality messages, including the Rev. Rick Warren, who visited in 2008 and has compared homosexuality to pedophilia. (Mr. Warren recently condemned the anti-homosexuality bill, seeking to correct what he called “lies and errors and false reports” that he played a role in it.)"

Americans’ Role Seen in Uganda Anti-Gay Push - NYTimes.com

Seen by whom?

I think that in and of itself is what's important. I could see you as a heartless mindnumb robot. But if it's not true, it's not true.

So some people who want to smear evangelicals "see" them as the reason for these laws, that is not at all indicative of reality.

Words mean something.

Seen by whom?

I think that in and of itself is what's important. I could see you as a heartless mindnumb robot. But if it's not true, it's not true.

So some people who want to smear evangelicals "see" them as the reason for these laws, that is not at all indicative of reality.

Words mean something.

You sound defensive. Were you in Uganda recently?

Seen by whom?

Words mean something.

Nope. Not an evangelical either. I just think the choice of words is interesting.

I think they refer to themselves as American Evangelical Christians.

Seen by whom?

Here is someone:
"Of course, the radical evangelicals in question were -- or at least pretended to be -- horrified at this practical summation of their views, immediately wrote panicky letters to Ugandan officials to correct their unfortunate "misinterpretation," as damn well they should have.
"No, no, no!" they sort of said. "We didn't mean actually kill them. That would be wrong. We simply meant gently, lovingly rehabilitate. You know: drugs, imprisonment, maybe some beatings, public humiliation, brainwashing, genital torture, electroshock therapy like the Mormons used to do"
When scary Jesus makes the news

I can't count the number of times the conservative right wing Republcian Confederates go nuts when I bring up this stuff.
These Evangelicals are all over the Internet with their "message" of Jesus love and acceptance.

Now, this is a hoot. Here is a video by Rick Warren:

Rick Warren - Letter To The Pastors of Uganda from Dr. Rick Warren

Just before Obama spoke at Warren's church, he had to clean up his website and get rid of the rhetoric that "gays were NOT welcome" in his church.

340x_warrenchurchbansgays.jpg

"If a man lies with a male as with a women, both of them shall be put to death for their abominable deed; they have forfeited their lives." Leviticus 20:13 NAB

This in the same book as "Noah's Ark" and "Samson" and "Jonah and the Whale" and "The Flintstones" and "Casper the Friendly Ghost". Oh, wait, did I get the right "ghost"?

Rick Warren put aside his true feelings because he was receiving a "national spotlight". Evangelical Conservatives Republicans want to do that here. Only the law protects gay Americans from their violence. If you spread hateful religious beliefs against patriotic Americans, who have done nothing wrong, then you should have the balls, stand up, and admit it.

Last edited by a moderator:
... the Ugandan Anti-Homosexuality Bill of 2009 which calls for the death penalty for homosexuals and other draconian measures.

"For three days, according to participants and audio recordings, thousands of Ugandans, including police officers, teachers and national politicians, listened raptly to the Americans, who were presented as experts on homosexuality. The visitors discussed how to make gay people straight, how gay men often sodomized teenage boys and how “the gay movement is an evil institution” whose goal is “to defeat the marriage-based society and replace it with a culture of sexual promiscuity.”
Now the three Americans are finding themselves on the defensive, saying they had no intention of helping stoke the kind of anger that could lead to what came next: a bill to impose a death sentence for homosexual behavior.

Uganda has also become a magnet for American evangelical groups. Some of the best known Christian personalities have recently passed through here, often bringing with them anti-homosexuality messages, including the Rev. Rick Warren, who visited in 2008 and has compared homosexuality to pedophilia. (Mr. Warren recently condemned the anti-homosexuality bill, seeking to correct what he called “lies and errors and false reports” that he played a role in it.)"

Thanks for allowing three people represent all Christians in your mind.

Manson must represent the non-Christians. I don't think so.

Seen by whom?

Words mean something.

Nope. Not an evangelical either. I just think the choice of words is interesting.

In the minds of you people these evanelicals recommended the death penalty. You will carry that foolish belief to your graves.

I can't count the number of times the conservative right wing Republcian Confederates go nuts when I bring up this stuff.
These Evangelicals are all over the Internet with their "message" of Jesus love and acceptance.

Now, this is a hoot. Here is a video by Rick Warren:

Rick Warren - Letter To The Pastors of Uganda from Dr. Rick Warren

Just before Obama spoke at Warren's church, he had to clean up his website and get rid of the rhetoric that "gays were NOT welcome" in his church.

340x_warrenchurchbansgays.jpg

"If a man lies with a male as with a women, both of them shall be put to death for their abominable deed; they have forfeited their lives." Leviticus 20:13 NAB

This in the same book as "Noah's Ark" and "Samson" and "Jonah and the Whale" and "The Flintstones" and "Casper the Friendly Ghost". Oh, wait, did I get the right "ghost"?

Rick Warren put aside his true feelings because he was receiving a "national spotlight". Evangelical Conservatives Republicans want to do that here. Only the law protects gay Americans from their violence. If you spread hateful religious beliefs against patriotic Americans, who have done nothing wrong, then you should have the balls, stand up, and admit it.

You are full of it.

Thanks for allowing three people represent all Christians in your mind.

Manson must represent the non-Christians. I don't think so.
Thank you for your stupid neg rep. Thank you for telling me what I think. :cuckoo:

In the minds of you people these evanelicals recommended the death penalty. You will carry that foolish belief to your graves.

Leviticus 20:13 NAB
"If a man lies with a male as with a women, both of them shall be put to death for their abominable deed; they have forfeited their lives."

Romans 1:24-32 NLT
So God let them go ahead and do whatever shameful things their hearts desired. As a result, they did vile and degrading things with each other's bodies. Instead of believing what they knew was the truth about God, they deliberately chose to believe lies. So they worshiped the things God made but not the Creator himself, who is to be praised forever. Amen. That is why God abandoned them to their shameful desires. Even the women turned against the natural way to have sex and instead indulged in sex with each other. And the men, instead of having normal sexual relationships with women, burned with lust for each other. Men did shameful things with other men and, as a result, suffered within themselves the penalty they so richly deserved. When they refused to acknowledge God, he abandoned them to their evil minds and let them do things that should never be done. Their lives became full of every kind of wickedness, sin, greed, hate, envy, murder, fighting, deception, malicious behavior, and gossip. They are backstabbers, haters of God, insolent, proud, and boastful. They are forever inventing new ways of sinning and are disobedient to their parents. They refuse to understand, break their promises, and are heartless and unforgiving. They are fully aware of God's death penalty for those who do these things, yet they go right ahead and do them anyway. And, worse yet, they encourage others to do them, too.

-------------------

You can't throw around these primitive religious beliefs and then act surprised when people follow them to the letter. Otherwise, what's the point of throwing them around.

Does everything have to be explained?

How stupid and short-sided of Americans to think that our own religious fundementalists are to blame for Uganda's religious fundementalist problems. Uganda has had anti-gay religious leaders for years, it's a part of their culture, that's how things work in that part of the world. Do I support it? No. I'm stricty pro-gay marriage and vehemently pro-separation of church and state. However, don't try to fool the American people into thinking this is the fault of some of our American pulpit pimps when they have plenty of their own pulpit pimps in Uganda. They're grown ups over there and they make their own damn decisions. Don't complain about "imperialism" and us "forcing democracy down peoples throats abroad" and then try to make everyone speak out against a law being passed in Uganda. Stop blaming the American evangelicals. They have their own morals and have the right to express them as they please. And stop acting like the poor little Africans can't make intelligent decisions for themselves. If Uganda passes this law it'll be up to Ugandans.

How stupid and short-sided of Americans to think that our own religious fundementalists are to blame for Uganda's religious fundementalist problems. Uganda has had anti-gay religious leaders for years, it's a part of their culture, that's how things work in that part of the world. Do I support it? No. I'm stricty pro-gay marriage and vehemently pro-separation of church and state. However, don't try to fool the American people into thinking this is the fault of some of our American pulpit pimps when they have plenty of their own pulpit pimps in Uganda. They're grown ups over there and they make their own damn decisions. Don't complain about "imperialism" and us "forcing democracy down peoples throats abroad" and then try to make everyone speak out against a law being passed in Uganda. Stop blaming the American evangelicals. They have their own morals and have the right to express them as they please. And stop acting like the poor little Africans can't make intelligent decisions for themselves. If Uganda passes this law it'll be up to Ugandans.

You don't even know that what you are saying is crap. Go look up Rick Lively, Caleb Brundidge, Don Schmierer, Stephen Langa and find out what their "work" is in Uganda. Go find out the connection between right wing Christian political organization, "The Family" and Ugandan politicians and religious leaders, then come back and try to say that BS.

You don't even know that what you are saying is crap. Go look up Rick Lively, Caleb Brundidge, Don Schmierer, Stephen Langa and find out what their "work" is in Uganda. Go find out the connection between right wing Christian political organization, "The Family" and Ugandan politicians and religious leaders, then come back and try to say that BS.

It's absolute BS. We live in a global society, so the Hell what if some Evangelicals go to Uganda? Ugandans are not the mindless helpless negroes American liberals believe them to be (Lord Jesus, listen to me sounding like Limbaugh). They have their own culture, their own beliefs, and their own law system. Stop blaming everybody else for a law being made IN UGANDA. If you have a problem with someone it's the Ugandans. This law and laws like it have been in the books on that side of the World for years. MANY African nations have severe laws against homosexuality, Hell homosexuality is still illegal in Jamaica for God's sake. Culturally these people have THEIR OWN beliefs. With those people you've named did it ever cross your mind that maybe they've found a safe haven in these nations BECAUSE the culture was already so anti-gay? Or do you just assume because the white man goes to a country automatically he's trying to endoctrinate the poor little Africans that can't think for themselves?

I think he meant Ugandan evangelicals.

American Evangelicals don't need a man made law!!

It's absolute BS. We live in a global society, so the Hell what if some Evangelicals go to Uganda? Ugandans are not the mindless helpless negroes American liberals believe them to be (Lord Jesus, listen to me sounding like Limbaugh). They have their own culture, their own beliefs, and their own law system. Stop blaming everybody else for a law being made IN UGANDA. If you have a problem with someone it's the Ugandans. This law and laws like it have been in the books on that side of the World for years. MANY African nations have severe laws against homosexuality, Hell homosexuality is still illegal in Jamaica for God's sake. Culturally these people have THEIR OWN beliefs. With those people you've named did it ever cross your mind that maybe they've found a safe haven in these nations BECAUSE the culture was already so anti-gay? Or do you just assume because the white man goes to a country automatically he's trying to endoctrinate the poor little Africans that can't think for themselves?

Helpless negroes? You, sir, or madam, are an idiot.

These American Evangelicals presented themselves to the Ugandans as "experts". Qualified researchers with established "medical and psychological" procedures for combating the "dangerous mental illness" of homosexuality.
I've posted links showing Rick Lively explaining how gays are really connected to the Nazi's and are a dangerous threat to the family and how they have an agenda of spreading HIV to destroy the world.
Pastor Martin Ssempa is the protege of Rick Warren who has pushed a dangerous policy of abstinence only. Special UN envoy for HIV/AIDS in Africa, Stephen Lewis, has said their activism is resulting in many, many more cases of AIDS which shouldn't have happened.
And you say these people can think or themselves?

Listen, American Evangelicals believe the world is only a few thousand years old and "Noah's Ark" was a true historical event. The contamination here, you idiot, is that wacko religion and it's moronic indoctrination.

And I'll clue you in to something else, even though I know that Jesus is a mythological figure, like Zeus or Santa Claus, he had two pieces of scripture that Biblical scholars absolutely agree came directly from him. The "Lord's Prayer" and "prohibition against divorce". And yet how many Evangelicals are married over and over again?

You guys are sheep. You didn't even check out any of the guys I talked about. Lemmings, sheep. Few Evangelicals actually know much about their dangerous religion.

Last edited by a moderator:

He's an idiot for disagreeing with your presumption that they are helpess? What evidence do you have that they are helpless and unable to govern themselves?

These American Evangelicals presented themselves to the Ugandans as "experts". Qualified researchers with established "medical and psychological" procedures for combating the "dangerous mental illness" of homosexuality.

And because theyve done that they've somehow forced them to adopt laws that have basically been around for decades?

I've posted links showing Rick Lively explaining how gays are really connected to the Nazi's and are a dangerous threat to the family and how they have an agenda of spreading HIV to destroy the world.

Um, they are a threat to the family. They are one of the biggest organized groups trying to destroy it.

Pastor Martin Ssempa is the protege of Rick Warren who has pushed a dangerous policy of abstinence only. Special UN envoy for HIV/AIDS in Africa, Stephen Lewis, has said their activism is resulting in many, many more cases of AIDS which shouldn't have happened.

Yeah, just because someone reaches different conclusions than you doesnt mean they cant think for themselves. Or are you that arrogant to think otherwise? You think you are the only free thinker in the world, and that no one else is a free thinker unless they agree with you on every point. Ironic no?

And for the record, AIDs has got to be one of the most preventable diseases in existance. If people were more responsible, it wouldnt be spread at all.

Listen, American Evangelicals believe the world is only a few thousand years old and "Noah's Ark" was a true historical event. The contamination here, you idiot, is that wacko religion and it's moronic indoctrination.

And because you disagree, somehow you are right and they are wrong? You are making alot of assumptions, the main one being that you cant be wrong.

And I'll clue you in to something else, even though I know that Jesus is a mythological figure, like Zeus or Santa Claus, he had two pieces of scripture that Biblical scholars absolutely agree came directly from him. The "Lord's Prayer" and "prohibition against divorce". And yet how many Evangelicals are married over and over again?

You dont know jack. And if you did youd realize how little there really is in this world that we can know.

And ideals are something to be strived for, not ignored. The whole point of Christianity if you missed it is that even though we may have made mistakes in the past we can overcome them and be forgiven. So you see, unlike you we acknowledge our mistakes and try to do better. We believe that we can be redeemed and become new people. We can move on with your life.

Sadly, you will only ever be bitter unless you let go of the pride and anger you hold.

You guys are sheep. You didn't even check out any of the guys I talked about. Lemmings, sheep. Few Evangelicals actually know much about their dangerous religion.

Im not an evangelical. Their religion isnt dangerous. In fact, this world would be a much better place if people actually followed the evangelical faith.

Id rather have an evangelical by my side then you.

sir and no I'm not.

You don't think Uganda has their own "experts", religious leaders, and medical proffessionals that have been saying the same thing for decades? This is NOTHING new to Uganda. Your acting as if the evangelicals are using mindless puppets to kill off homosexuals in the third world. Ugandans and Sub-Saharan Africans have a culture that has been very anti-homosexual. When the Anglican Church voted against same sex marriage within the church it was the African fellowship that voted almost unanimously against it. AFRICAN CULTURE HAS ALWAYS BEEN ANTI-HOMOSEXUAL. Damn it, I wish you'd get that through your head.

Yes, absolutely I do. Because I recognize that Ugandans are HUMAN FREAKING BEINGS not slave puppets to westerners who can convince them of anything they want. Sure the Martin Ssempa message may be more accepted there then here, but that's because of the Ugandan cultural predjudices towards homosexuality that ALREADY EXIST.

Yeaup and some of this world's so called "intellectuals" believe that human beings were created by aliens and that martians created the Pyramids. Stupidity exists in various forms.

Let me clue you in on something: plenty of fundementalist churches outlaw divorce, like many Pentecostal Churches and a couple of fundementalist baptist churches. Whether or not Yahshuah was a mythological creature isn't up for debate here so I'll leave it alone.

Just for your information, I'm not an evangelical.

Forum List

Back