American crap movie!!

Batman vs Superman is reported to have cost 400 million to make, and is already getting bad indications from the press.

The superhero movie has really driven Hollywood to take gigantic risks on movies. Out of the top 20 movies that have lost the most money, 11 have been made in the last 10 years. John Carter, 47 Ronin, Cowboys and Aliens all lost 60-140 million dollars.

The first Paranormal Activity cost $15,000 to make and grossed 115 million dollars. Why is it so hard for Hollywood to figure what sells and what doesn't? Certainly stories like Jurassic Park and Star Wars are almost guaranteed to make back whatever is spent making them, but there is a real market for good ideas in Hollywood it would seem.

I'm not a writer, but had an idea based loosely on Demolition Man.

Instead of waking up in a paradise, like Stallone and Snipes did, what if the power ran out, (or what ever), and the cryogenic containers opened after an apocalypse?

Bad guys against not quite so bad guys, and all of them against mutants.

Batman vs Superman is reported to have cost 400 million to make, and is already getting bad indications from the press.

The superhero movie has really driven Hollywood to take gigantic risks on movies. Out of the top 20 movies that have lost the most money, 11 have been made in the last 10 years. John Carter, 47 Ronin, Cowboys and Aliens all lost 60-140 million dollars.

The first Paranormal Activity cost $15,000 to make and grossed 115 million dollars. Why is it so hard for Hollywood to figure what sells and what doesn't? Certainly stories like Jurassic Park and Star Wars are almost guaranteed to make back whatever is spent making them, but there is a real market for good ideas in Hollywood it would seem.
they know what sells,its just that they allow some people to make bad movies.....a super hero movie done right will sell....

Don't pay attention to the reviews of the big movies, you can't trust them. Critics panned Man of Steel, which I think is a WONDERFUL movie.

You're going to compare big budget blockbuster types to Paranormal Activity? :lol:

Also, I find it interesting that you say superhero movies have driven Hollywood to take big risks then point out various non-superhero movies that have lost money. :p

You're going to compare big budget blockbuster types to Paranormal Activity? :lol:

Also, I find it interesting that you say superhero movies have driven Hollywood to take big risks then point out various non-superhero movies that have lost money. :p
Like most communists, he praises stupidity and insufficient funds as the ideal.

You're looking for the flame zone. You have nothing but misery to contribute here. Buh bye.

the next film which will be according to you ??

Batman vs Superman vs Aliens vs Beetlejuice ...???

Of course everyone knows Batman is the man.

keep-calm-batman.jpg

You're looking for the flame zone. You have nothing but misery to contribute here. Buh bye.

I'm sorry, which part of my post was a flame?

Batman v Superman is an entirely different kind of movie than was Paranormal Activity. It's not just about the budget, it's about the subject matter, the actors and director, the target audience, not to mention the expectations. I would also argue that Paranormal Activity was a pretty bad movie. I can't speak for BvS yet.

You said superhero movies have driven Hollywood to take big risks, didn't you? You immediately followed that up by listing 3 non-superhero movies that lost a lot of money, didn't you? ;)

I'm sorry, which part of my post was a flame?

Batman v Superman is an entirely different kind of movie than was Paranormal Activity. It's not just about the budget, it's about the subject matter, the actors and director, the target audience, not to mention the expectations. I would also argue that Paranormal Activity was a pretty bad movie. I can't speak for BvS yet.

You said superhero movies have driven Hollywood to take big risks, didn't you? You immediately followed that up by listing 3 non-superhero movies that lost a lot of money, didn't you? ;)

You are in search of argument where none exists.

My wife wanted to see Batman vs Superman, so we went last weekend. It's very visually stunning and the action sceens are impressive.

However, for people like me, who grew up reading these characters, and know their stories, the general reaction seems to be the same (at least among those I've talked to).... neither if the titular characters really resembled their comic book counterparts in attitude or personality. The throw-in, next movie tie in character doesn't even really look like her source material base.

What movie studios should realize (at least in my opinion) is that DC and Marvel audiences are different. Marvel audiences don't seem to mind directors screwing with the source material. DC audiences care a lot more about it. That means "remaking" characters tends to lead to less interest from the fanbase, as many previous Superman and Batman interpretations have shown.

My wife wanted to see Batman vs Superman, so we went last weekend. It's very visually stunning and the action sceens are impressive.

However, for people like me, who grew up reading these characters, and know their stories, the general reaction seems to be the same (at least among those I've talked to).... neither if the titular characters really resembled their comic book counterparts in attitude or personality. The throw-in, next movie tie in character doesn't even really look like her source material base.

What movie studios should realize (at least in my opinion) is that DC and Marvel audiences are different. Marvel audiences don't seem to mind directors screwing with the source material. DC audiences care a lot more about it. That means "remaking" characters tends to lead to less interest from the fanbase, as many previous Superman and Batman interpretations have shown.

I disagree. I think Nolan took plenty of liberties with the characters he used, yet his Batman movies were very successful.

More, when you talk about characters like Batman and Superman, they have been around for so long, there are tons of different iterations of the characters. There isn't really a single version of the characters to put into a movie; there are many to choose from.

Finally, I think that much of the audiences for these movies have read very few, if any, of the comics. They know who the big characters are, but they don't have the kind of set-in-stone ideas about what they should be.

I haven't even seen BvS yet. I was going to see it opening weekend, but then there were scheduling problems and I did something else. I thought Man of Steel was a decent movie, though. :dunno:

Forum List

Back