America was FOUNDED on secession

Oh. You mean a puppet govt. did that after the fact. The fact is that the southern states had to meet a bunch of conditions to get all of their political rights back.

No, idiot, I'm talking about the legal government of Virginia DURING the war, NOT AFTER. Can you READ? That is the government that consented to West Virginia's becoming its own state BEFORE West Virginia was accepted by Congress, NOT AFTER.

Lord Almighty.
The elected government of Virginia DURING the war remained in Richmond. The self appointed and unelected bunch that fashioned themselves the government of Virginia had no authority.

That government ABDICATED ITSELF as a state government of the United States by declaring secession. By declaring secession every seat of the legislature of Virginia under the Untied States WENT VACANT. You can't claim that a government which declares secession from the United States to be a state government of the United States, that's fucking moronic.

Those are death camps, moron. Slave owners had a legal obligation to see to the welfare of their slaves, the Nazis did not. Slaves in the U.S. were treated much like domesticated animals are nowadays - slaves in Nazi death camps were treated worse than any domesticated animal and worse than most wild animals.

death camps were slave labor and it was cost effective. how one treats their slaves is irrelevant to the facts. but, do you know the cost of invading nations, rounding up Jews and other undesirables, and shipping them all over Europe with armed guards cost?
Not if you consider GIs mocking you when shells didn't go off by yelling "Made in Czechoslovakia!" at you, or everything from fuel pumps for tanks to guidance systems for V-1/V-2 rockets being monkey-wrenched by the slave laborers "cost effective".

Haven't figured out whether your grasp of history or economics is more atrocious.....Both are epically horrible. :lol:

USMB's Pseudo Scholar chimes in? How special. Yeah, the Nazi War Machine was cost inefficient.

Watch lots of WWII movies where slave laborers brought NAzi manufacturing to it's knees?

It's not nonsense, it's the reality, any state that even attempted such a folly would be declared a martial law area and the leaders arrested and imprisoned.

Address the issue. Why is it ok for the original 13 colonies to secede from England but wrong for say, Florida or Wisconsin to secede from the USA.?

The relationship between the Colonies and Great Britain was one of non-equals, not unlike a slave/master relationship. No contract so configured could be binding.

When a state enters the Union, however, it enters into a contract among equals. Not only is an equal relationship forged between the new state and the other states, but so too between the people of the new state and all the citizens of all the other states as well.

This contract between and among the equal states is consequently permanent:
When…Texas became one of the United States, she entered into an indissoluble relation. All the obligations of perpetual union, and all the guaranties of republican government in the Union, attached at once to the State. The act which consummated her admission into the Union was something more than a compact; it was the incorporation of a new member into the political body. And it was final. The union between Texas and the other States was as complete, as perpetual, and as indissoluble as the union between the original States.

Texas v. White

Some of the Founders likened to slavery, again The Declaratory Act & The Intolerable Acts. However one phrases it, the war of 1776 was not one of secession.

Address the issue. Why is it ok for the original 13 colonies to secede from England but wrong for say, Florida or Wisconsin to secede from the USA.?

The relationship between the Colonies and Great Britain was one of non-equals, not unlike a slave/master relationship. No contract so configured could be binding.

When a state enters the Union, however, it enters into a contract among equals. Not only is an equal relationship forged between the new state and the other states, but so too between the people of the new state and all the citizens of all the other states as well.

When…Texas became one of the United States, she entered into an indissoluble relation. All the obligations of perpetual union, and all the guaranties of republican government in the Union, attached at once to the State. The act which consummated her admission into the Union was something more than a compact; it was the incorporation of a new member into the political body. And it was final. The union between Texas and the other States was as complete, as perpetual, and as indissoluble as the union between the original States.

Texas v. White

Some of the Founders likened to slavery, again The Declaratory Act & The Intolerable Acts. However one phrases it, the war of 1776 was not one of secession.
:cool:

Definitely not.

The Industrial Revolution made slavery not cost effective.

Quite true. A slave cost $60,000-$80,000 in today's money. Then you have to feed, clothe, house, and provide the basic essentials of living and medical care for them for life. It's cheaper just to hire an emplyee, pay them a wage, and let them sort those issues out for themselves.

Not quite. The invention of the cotton gin made large scale plantation operations a profitable activity. Save for that, slavery might well have petered out. However, in order to harvest that much cotton required a considerable workforce and that made slavery viable. It was the decision to restrict slavery from expanding into new states thus preventing cotton farming to grow which put the south over the edge. Ultimately, it wasn't about liberty. It was about money.

I'll agree that it was about money - and that included the value of the slaves and cotton profits as well as tariffs and subsidizing northern infrastructure with southern tax money. It was also about culture and social issues. It was about a lot of things.

Slavery is actually considered more of an issue now than it was then. The northern nationalist historians started that crap. Followed by the progressives and the Marxists, and the revisionists. Makes it nice and cozy to say it was a noble war to free the slaves rather than a war over taxes and cultural differences.

I believe that slavery would still have petered out and in not much longer than it took to fight the war. I see no way that slavery would have lasted as long as 1870 had the war not been fought. The North, Great Britain, and France, who were all the South's best cotton customers, were applying too much pressure in favor of abolition. Attitudes in the South were changing in favor of abolition too.

One of the biggest questions of the day was what to do with them once they were freed. The Southern abolitionist (There were 5 times as many abolitionist societies in the South as there were in the North.) wanted to educate them and integrate them. Then you had Henry Clay, Abraham Lincoln, and the American Colonization Society that wanted to repariate them back to Africa.

The Northern abolitionists kept agitating the sitiation rather than working towards a solution. They tended to be their own worst enemy. The very reason that it was illegal to teach them to read and write was that the abolitionists kept printing pamphlets trying to incite the slaves to rise up and kill their masters. As long as they were illiterate, they couldn't read the pamphlets. Even then, a lot of slave owners taught them anyway. Jefferson Davis taught his slaves. Robert E. Lee's wife and daughter ran an illegal school at Arlington. Stonewall Jackson taught his servants so that they could read and understand the Bible.

We know that compensated emancipation worked because that's exactly how Europe and South America did it. Yet, when compensated emancipation was proposed in the United States, the Northern abolitionists shut that idea down by 1849.

The real reason that slavery flourished in the South was a matter of population growth. The South needed laborers to clear the land and work the fields to feed and clothe the nation, but most Europeans were immigrating to the North because the climate was more similar to the climate where they had come from in Europe. Immigrants tended to see the South as a hot, humid, malarial, mosquito and snake infested place.

All that said, I firmly believe that even if the South had emancipated the slaves by 1860, the Civil War would still have been fought because emancipation didn't solve all of the tariff, trade, sectional, religious, and culrural issues between the sections. The Deep South didn't come into the Union until after the Louisiana Purchase and it evolved first under Spanish and French influence, whereas the North had originated under British influence.

Texas v. White

Then how did the Colonies break away from England?

[

You'll hear no argument from me saying that slavery was a good thing. It was wrong. But your's is a specious argument. Five Union states still had slavery. Washington D.C. had slavery until 1862. U.S. Grant was a slaveholder and didn't free his until 8 months after the war and the 13th Amendment made him. Lincoln said in his inaugural address that he had no intention of ending slavery where it already existed and that those who nominated and elected him knew he had said that and had never recanted it.

Everything you say is true and it's amazing how americans have been brainwashed into thinking the CW was started to free the slaves!!! How could that be when the North's capital had slavery?

Midway thru the war, lincoln started to play up the slavery angle to keep the french and british from entering the war on the side of the south. But for liberals to say lincoln started the war to free the slaves is absurd.

[

You'll hear no argument from me saying that slavery was a good thing. It was wrong. But your's is a specious argument. Five Union states still had slavery. Washington D.C. had slavery until 1862. U.S. Grant was a slaveholder and didn't free his until 8 months after the war and the 13th Amendment made him. Lincoln said in his inaugural address that he had no intention of ending slavery where it already existed and that those who nominated and elected him knew he had said that and had never recanted it.

Everything you say is true and it's amazing how americans have been brainwashed into thinking the CW was started to free the slaves!!! How could that be when the North's capital had slavery?

Midway thru the war, lincoln started to play up the slavery angle to keep the french and british from entering the war on the side of the south. But for liberals to say lincoln started the war to free the slaves is absurd.

To say Lincoln started the war to free the slaves is absurd.

To say slavery wasn't the major dividing issue that led to the war is also absurd.

To say slavery wasn't the major dividing issue that led to the war is also absurd.

The war was about states' rights, and slavery was just the touchstone. The states' rights debate was ongoing since 1776 or before...

[

Lincoln didn't start the civil war, and it was over slavery, specifically the question of slavery in the western states.

[
That's exactly what was happening. Railroad subsidies were a big part of it too.

When Lincoln entered the political scene in 1832 in Illinois, he immediately started campaigning for taxing to subsidize internal improvements in the state. His own law partner, William Herndon, called it "reckless and unwise". The Illinois legislature appropriated $12 million to build roads, canals, and railroads. By the end of the decade, none of the projects were completed, the state had a load of debt and an empty treasury, and it took the state years to recover.

Illinois amended its state constitution in 1848 to prohibit tax dollars from being spent on any kind of private enterprise. When Lincoln hit the national political stage, he started doing it all over again.

Lincoln was in fact a very successful corporate lawyer and a crook who loved to fleece the public. All this talk about him being a supporter of the common man is hogwash. History is written by the victors.

[

I guess that's why Lincoln said in his First Inaugura Address:

"I have no purpose, directly or indirectly, to interfere with the institution of slavery in the States where it exists. I believe I have no lawful right to do so, and I have no inclination to do so. Those who nominated and elected me did so with full knowledge that I had made this and many similar declarations and had never recanted them..."

Oh, wait!

I guess that's why Lincoln said in his First Inaugura Address:

"I have no purpose, directly or indirectly, to interfere with the institution of slavery in the States where it exists. I believe I have no lawful right to do so, and I have no inclination to do so. Those who nominated and elected me did so with full knowledge that I had made this and many similar declarations and had never recanted them..."

Oh, wait!
. Did I pretty much just say that you moron?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back