America Rejects Conservatives & Conservativism

Mustang

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2010
39° 44 mins 21 secs N, 104° 59 mins 5 secs W
For several months leading up to the 2012, conservatives seemed to be quite confident that victory was theirs...for the taking. Conservatives seemed downright cocky about it, frankly. Arrogant, really. Defiant, as well.

In fact, conservatives seemed quite confrontational toward anyone who questioned them and/or challenged them and their 'conviction' that the election was merely a formality.

And in the last week or so, several conservatives dismissed the polls and flat out predicted a Republican landslide. Michael Barone did. So did George Will. As did a host of others. Even the Romney camp was reportedly VERY confident of victory.

So, I guess I have a question, mostly for conservatives, but anyone can offer an opinion. How does it feel to realize that Americans all across the country (and in 8 out of the 9 swing states) rejected conservatism and conservatives running for office? I'm not asking anyone to reveal their emotions or their emotional state. What I'm curious to know is whether or not conservatives now see that there is a very real possibility that they erred when it came to reading the mood of the electorate. Are conservatives willing to consider the error of their ways in their stated policies and their approach to people in general and different groups? Or do conservatives just think that they need to be MORE conservative, and reject political and policy moderation even more than they already have in order to win future elections?

America rejected the current conservatives and the current incarnation of conservatism.

Once the absolutist, "no compromise" loons are marginalized, the party has a chance to come back. But not until then.

America needs and deserves two strong, credible parties.

How about the leftytoons actually do something to solve the problems instead of endzone dances like five year olds.

Last edited:
That happened to a degree with Goldwater, though he was not into the branch of things called 'religious right' today.
Somehow, Reagan inherited the mantle of intellectual purity of Goldwater and popularized the image with his personality and presentation.
Of course, it is good to conserve some things. Others, like love and generosity require liberal applications.

many americans accept the former conservative positions of smaller, less intrusive govt and fiscal restraint.

where they lose people is with the social issues and the mistaken belief that very rich people a) create all jobs and b) will run away if you raise their taxes.

they need to lose the hardliners on these issues and move back to the center (read: reality).

i voted republican in every presidential election from the time i was eligible to vote through the 2000 election.

i haven't voted for a republican candidate for potus since then and unless they start cleaning house, i won't again.

Last edited:
So it's full spend ahead, Damn jobs, Damn job creators. We'll show them how to spend now. There's not a brain in a room full of progressive liberals.

America rejected the current conservatives and the current incarnation of conservatism.

Once the absolutist, "no compromise" loons are marginalized, the party has a chance to come back. But not until then.

Well, stridency is certainly not the kind of approach that generally wins converts. But that's pretty much all I hear on talk radio. That and a great deal of contempt for people with opposing views. I certainly understand that talk radio tactics represent a business model for the hosts who often feel a need to 'outconservative' the next guy by being just that much more bombastic. Maybe they should consider the possibility that their alienating more people than they're winning over. I think that would be an interesting study to find out how talk radio influences (both pro and con) the electorate and their voting habits.

Well, stridency is certainly not the kind of approach that generally wins converts. But that's pretty much all I hear on talk radio. That and a great deal of contempt for people with opposing views. I certainly understand that talk radio tactics represent a business model for the hosts who often feel a need to 'outconservative' the next guy by being just that much more bombastic. Maybe they should consider the possibility that their alienating more people than they're winning over. I think that would be an interesting study to find out how talk radio influences (both pro and con) the electorate and their voting habits.

I think America is rejecting Social Cons, And Screaming for some real Fiscal Cons.

• Thanks
Reactions: del
The gerrymandering of Republican districts has made it so only the most wacko religious right conservatives can win. And then you have primary elections on the state level like Mourdock beating Luger? Are you kidding me?

The wheels have come off the Republican Crazy Train.

Conservatives need to realize that arguing facts and logic is no longer sufficient to win national elections. Recent advertising studies show that, unlike the shrinking majority of white consumers, minority consumers are more influenced by ads appealing to their emotions rather than ads describing the qualities of the product. From now on, national elections and candidates will have to be rock stars.

Well put.

The fans of the radio hosts don't seem to understand the agendas of their heroes. They take this absolutist, us against them stuff seriously, and then it manifests itself in their political views. It's like All Star Wrestling, these radio hosts have fans who think their schtick is real.

What we end up with is people (as we see on this board) who fancy themselves an online Rush or Sean, and they don't see how they're being used by those people for ratings.

http://www.usmessageboard.com/politics/257728-the-psychology-of-partisanship.html

Conservatives need to realize that arguing facts and logic is no longer sufficient to win national elections. Recent advertising studies show that, unlike the shrinking majority of white consumers, minority consumers are more influenced by ads appealing to their emotions rather than ads describing the qualities of the product. From now on, national elections and candidates will have to be rock stars.

Wow that was some racist bullshit. Maybe Republicans should actually... you know, use facts instead of creating their own?

For several months leading up to the 2012, conservatives seemed to be quite confident that victory was theirs...for the taking. Conservatives seemed downright cocky about it, frankly. Arrogant, really. Defiant, as well.

In fact, conservatives seemed quite confrontational toward anyone who questioned them and/or challenged them and their 'conviction' that the election was merely a formality.

And in the last week or so, several conservatives dismissed the polls and flat out predicted a Republican landslide. Michael Barone did. So did George Will. As did a host of others. Even the Romney camp was reportedly VERY confident of victory.

So, I guess I have a question, mostly for conservatives, but anyone can offer an opinion. How does it feel to realize that Americans all across the country (and in 8 out of the 9 swing states) rejected conservatism and conservatives running for office? I'm not asking anyone to reveal their emotions or their emotional state. What I'm curious to know is whether or not conservatives now see that there is a very real possibility that they erred when it came to reading the mood of the electorate. Are conservatives willing to consider the error of their ways in their stated policies and their approach to people in general and different groups? Or do conservatives just think that they need to be MORE conservative, and reject political and policy moderation even more than they already have in order to win future elections?
Just proves that those who voted for obamaturd have NO idea what this country is about. Obamaturd won because of the electoral vote. Saying he won because most people wanted him is a lie.

Well, if you've rejected us I don't feel badly about hoping for your failure then asshole. And you will fail. It's a mathamatical certainty. You don't have asscess to enough money to accomplish your goals. It makes me laugh.

Obamaturd got reelected because loafers love being taken care of by the gov't.

America needs and deserves two strong, credible parties.

America deserves exactly what they voted for. Four more years of a clusterfuck.

Forum List

Back