America, Not Keith Ellison, decides what book a congressman takes his oath on

100 bucks says...if muslims gained congress they would vote islam the national religion and outlaw christianity.....

any of you secularist or christians been to mecca to the great mosque?

Any religion which punishes people for practicing another religion or somehow penalizes the practice of another faith is not a fit religion to follow, not that I find any worth following anyways.

But more to the point, your wager is pointless.

The ceremony for Congressmen is usually held in a group. There is no book. The secondary mock ceremony is where he might use such a book, and who cares what book he takes a picture with?

Here is a good description of what happens...

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/story?id=2693870&page=1

All 435 members stand on the floor and swear in together, no books, just raising their right hand. Afterward they have "re-enactment" ceremonies for pictures, etc. It isn't really the ceremony, that was already done.

The separation of church and state is pretty easy to solve. Instead of trying to save christmas from the state, try saving your institutions from the state. For example, remove schooling from state funding and control, and then each school can celebrate whichever religious ceremonies they see fit.

The separation of church and state is pretty easy to solve. Instead of trying to save christmas from the state, try saving your institutions from the state. For example, remove schooling from state funding and control, and then each school can celebrate whichever religious ceremonies they see fit.
Yes! Governments create institutions that they should never have started, thus creating all sorts of problems. The liberal answer: more programs and laws. The Conservative answer: get rid of the institution that creates the problems.

The point so many here are missing is that there is no requirement for an elected official to take their oath of office upon a Bible. it is a tradition, not law.

The point so many here are missing is that there is no requirement for an elected official to take their oath of office upon a Bible. it is a tradition, not law.

In this case it isn't even a tradition. Nobody takes the oath of office on any book at all for Congressmen. They take it as one large group raising their right hands only.

So the point of the tradition is wasted here. There is no tradition of anybody taking that oath on any book whatsoever.

In this case it isn't even a tradition. Nobody takes the oath of office on any book at all for Congressmen. They take it as one large group raising their right hands only.

So the point of the tradition is wasted here. There is no tradition of anybody taking that oath on any book whatsoever.

Exactly. I was a little irritated when I first saw this story, but then I found out that the actual swearing in is done in a large group. There is no Bible, Koran, Torah, or anything of the sort. They raise their right hands and repeat after the man speaking. The swearing on the Bible is purely ceremonial and is done for publicity. I really don't care what he does there. He could swear himself in on a copy of Battlefield Earth (by L. Ron Hubbard) for all I care.

Right, so the fact that he's making a POINT of using the Koran is what makes it such an in-your-face action. You can bet the Islamofascists around the world are cheering about it -- and not in a way that admires America for its religious freedom.

Right, so the fact that he made a POINT of having his own ceremony using the Koran is what makes it such an in-your-face action. You can bet the Islamofascists around the world are cheering about it -- and not in a way that admires America for its religious freedom.

Yep, but freedom comes with a price. If we deny this guy use of a Koran when swearing in, then how long before 'bigoted Christian hate-mongers' are denied the use of the Bible in similar ceremonies?

Yep, but freedom comes with a price. If we deny this guy use of a Koran when swearing in, then how long before 'bigoted Christian hate-mongers' are denied the use of the Bible in similar ceremonies?

I don't want to deny anybody their religious freedom. But it's these multi-culturalism wars that are going to tear up America.

right now you should go find a native american and get in on the giant joke that is your concern over culture that "tears an American society apart"...

chief.

:happy2:

:dev3:

Exactly. I was a little irritated when I first saw this story, but then I found out that the actual swearing in is done in a large group. There is no Bible, Koran, Torah, or anything of the sort. They raise their right hands and repeat after the man speaking. The swearing on the Bible is purely ceremonial and is done for publicity. I really don't care what he does there. He could swear himself in on a copy of Battlefield Earth (by L. Ron Hubbard) for all I care.

So in other words this Muslim politician is just stirring up his Islamic base.

:bow3: :bow3: :bow3: :ali:

right now you should go find a native american and get in on the giant joke that is your concern over culture that "tears an American society apart"...

chief.

:happy2:

I don't find it to be a joke. What exactly is the native american joke?

I don't find it to be a joke. What exactly is the native american joke?

oh.. say.. the last 200 years of American history that all but destroyed the indegenous SOCIETIES?

DOH! Did I just break it to ya that the trail of tears wasnt a fun holiday getaway for the injuns?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

say... I bet no on one a reservation is laughing at people JUST LIKE YOU right about now... the irony is rich..

oh.. say.. the last 200 years of American history that all but destroyed the indegenous SOCIETIES?

DOH! Did I just break it to ya that the trail of tears wasnt a fun holiday getaway for the injuns?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

say... I bet no on one a reservation is laughing at people JUST LIKE YOU right about now... the irony is rich..

Today we're still warring with barbarians who are only slightly more advanced than the former American Indian and we shall win again. If the Indians of today wish to keep their bennies they better help win this war instead of laughing at "the irony"..... or else the jokes on them....again. How's that for irony?
:banana2:

Today we're still warring with barbarians who are only slightly more advanced than the former American Indian and we shall win again. If the Indians of today wish to keep their bennies they better help win this war instead of laughing at "the irony"..... or else the jokes on them....again. How's that for irony?

Oh looky.. another christians threatening violence....

How novel.

I guess stepping into the mid east is just the modern branch of Manifest Destiny, eh dude? HILARIOUS that you are perfectly willing to APPLY such a concept but shrink up like slug in saltwater when you don't get that superior feeling... say... i bet no Germans ever felt vastly superior to everyone else either...

yes.. the irony is RICH in them THAR hills!

HAHAHA!

PS....

don't worry... in four decades your religious pregeny will be convinced that you are just another ATHIEST and have totally warped the word of god to fit your hateful opinion... you know... pretty much like you think about the religios Klan and Hitler?

HAHAHAHAHAHA!

:whip:

I think most Native Americans were far more 'advanced' (civil) than modern day Islamic extremists.

Forum List

Back