Amelia Earhart - Makes you Wonder what else the Government has lied about

Sure looks like the two..interesting.
Notice that there are no guards or armed/unarmed soldiers/police for someone who was supposedly "were captured by the Japanese military". I don't see the Electra L-10E. It's a big plane. 149 of them were built.Lockheed Model 10 Electra - Wikipedia

amelia-earhart-marshall-islands-1937.jpg

Lockheed-Electra-10E-NR16020-by-F.X.-OGrady-1937.jpg

amelia_earhart_electra.jpg

Idk, I just said it looks like them. The truth will probably never be known
Amelia Earhart Photo Debunked After a 2nd Theory Bites Dust

can't feature an experienced pilot running out of fuel. she was looking another place to sit down
On such flights, it happens. Yes, I think an experienced pilot would try to ditch under power rather than as a glider, but the previous book I mentioned pointed out why that would be catastrophic. In short, the huge fuel tank in the back wasn't part of the aircraft; it's weight and a few straps held it in place. A ditching, or flipping upside down, would have probably broken it loose. The escape hatches in the cockpit are in the overhead and opened out. If, due to the weight and balance of the aircraft, it flipped on ditching, the weight of the water would have held them closed until water pressure equalized in the cockpit. That's a lot of time to be underwater.

Sure looks like the two..interesting.
Notice that there are no guards or armed/unarmed soldiers/police for someone who was supposedly "were captured by the Japanese military". I don't see the Electra L-10E. It's a big plane. 149 of them were built.Lockheed Model 10 Electra - Wikipedia

amelia-earhart-marshall-islands-1937.jpg

Lockheed-Electra-10E-NR16020-by-F.X.-OGrady-1937.jpg

amelia_earhart_electra.jpg
That picture was in a book published 2 years BEFORE she even made her last flight! :laugh:

Amelia Earhart Photo Debunked After a 2nd Theory Bites Dust
Thanks, but you're late! :laugh:

The picture has been proved to be 2 years prior to Amelia's disappearance:
History Channel investigating claims about Amelia Earhart photo and documentary timeline
In a July 9 blog post, Yamano explained that "the photograph was first published in Palau under Japanese rule in 1935, in a photo book; Motoaki Nishino, 'Umi no seimeisen : Waga nannyou no sugata... So the photograph was taken at least two years before Amelia Earhart disappeared in 1937 and a person on the photo was not her."

According to NPR, the photobook was later digitized and published online by Japan's National Diet Library.

Yamano told The Guardian that he found the photo by searching “Jaluit atoll," with the time frame of the 1930s.

wow a thread about Amelia Earhart.....her name appears in all of my big collection of books from the 1920s and 1930s...she was hot property back then....very very famous back then

Earhart only got publicity because she looked like a female Lindbergh
She was not highly respected as a pilot

wow a thread about Amelia Earhart.....her name appears in all of my big collection of books from the 1920s and 1930s...she was hot property back then....very very famous back then

Not highly respected by some Liberal men, but well respected by many other people. ;)

FWIW, Lindbergh was not only against the US going to war with Germany, but was a big fan of the Nazi government. :)

Amelia Earhart - Facts & Summary - HISTORY.com

Achievements - Amelia Earhart
  • January 3, 1921 – Began flying lessons with Neta Snook
  • July 1921 – Bought first plane, the Kinner Airster (named “The Canary”)
  • October 22, 1922 – Broke women’s altitude record when she rose to 14,000 feet
  • June 17-18, 1928 – First woman to fly across the Atlantic; 20hrs 40min (Fokker F7, Friendship)
  • Summer 1928 – Bought an Avro Avian, a small English plane famous because Lady Mary Heath, Britain’s foremost woman pilot, had flown it solo from Capetown, South Africa, to London
  • Fall 1928 – Published book, 20 Hours 40 Minutes, toured, and lectured; became aviation editor of Cosmopolitan magazine
  • August 1929 – Placed third in the First Women’s Air Derby, also known as the Powder Puff Derby; upgraded from her Avian to a Lockheed Vega
  • Fall 1929 – Elected as an official for National Aeronautic Association and encouraged the Federation Aeronautique Internationale (FAI) to establish separate world altitude, speed, and endurance records for women
  • June 25, 1930 – Set women’s speed record for 100 kilometers with no load and with a load of 500 kilograms
  • July 5, 1930 – Set speed record for of 181.18mph over a 3K course
  • September 1930 – Helped to organize and became vice president of public relations for new airline, New York, Philadelphia, and Washington Airways
  • April 8, 1931 – Set woman’s autogiro altitude record with 18,415 feet (in a Pitcairn autogiro)
  • May 20-21, 1932 – First woman to fly solo across the Atlantic; 14 hrs 56 min (it was also the 5th anniversary of Lindberg’s Atlantic flight; awarded National Geographic Society’s gold medal from President Herbert Hoover; Congress awarded her the Distinguished Flying Cross; wrote The Fun of It about her journey
  • August 24-25, 1932 – First woman to fly solo nonstop coast to coast; set women’s nonstop transcontinental speed record, flying 2,447.8 miles in 19hrs 5min
  • Fall 1932 – Elected president of the Ninety Nines, a new women’s aviation club which she helped to form
  • July 7-8, 1933 – Broke her previous transcontinental speed record by making the same flight in 17hrs 7min
  • January 11, 1935 – First person to solo the 2,408-mile distance across the Pacific between Honolulu and Oakland, California; also first flight where a civilian aircraft carried a two-way radio
  • April l9 – 20, 1935 – First person to fly solo from Los Angeles to Mexico City; 13hrs 23min
  • May 8, 1935 – First person to fly solo nonstop from Mexico City to Newark; 14hrs 19min
  • March 17, 1937 – Amelia and her navigator, Fred Noonan, along with Captain Harry Manning and stunt pilot Paul Mantz, fly the first leg of the trip from Oakland, California, to Honolulu, Hawaii, in 15 hours and 47 minutes
  • June 1, 1937 – Began flight around the world June 1937; first person to fly from the Red Sea to India
Lindbergh to Congress: Negotiate with Hitler - Jan 23, 1941 - HISTORY.com
On this day, Charles A. Lindbergh, a national hero since his nonstop solo flight across the Atlantic, testifies before the House Foreign Affairs Committee on the Lend-Lease policy-and suggests that the United States negotiate a neutrality pact with Hitler.....

During the mid-1930s, Lindbergh became familiar with German advances in aviation and warned his U.S. counterparts of Germany’s growing air superiority. But Lindbergh also became enamored of much of the German national “revitalization” he encountered, and allowed himself to be decorated by Hitler’s government, which drew tremendous criticism back home.

Upon Lindbergh’s return to the States, he agitated for neutrality with Germany, and testified before Congress in opposition to the Lend-Lease policy, which offered cash and military aid to countries friendly to the United States in their war effort against the Axis powers. His public denunciation of “the British, the Jewish, and the Roosevelt Administration” as instigators of American intervention in the war, as well as comments that smacked of anti-Semitism, lost him the support of other isolationists. When, in 1941, President Roosevelt denounced Lindbergh publicly, the aviator resigned from the Air Corps Reserve. He eventually contributed to the war effort, though, flying 50 combat missions over the Pacific. His participation in the war, along with his promotion to brigadier general of the Air Force Reserve in 1954 by President Dwight D. Eisenhower, a popular Pulitzer Prize-winning book, The Spirit of St. Louis,, and a movie based on his exploits all worked to redeem him in the public’s eyes.

Not highly respected by some Liberal men, but well respected by many other people. ;)

FWIW, Lindbergh was not only against the US going to war with Germany, but was a big fan of the Nazi government. :)

Amelia Earhart - Facts & Summary - HISTORY.com

Achievements - Amelia Earhart
  • January 3, 1921 – Began flying lessons with Neta Snook
  • July 1921 – Bought first plane, the Kinner Airster (named “The Canary”)
  • October 22, 1922 – Broke women’s altitude record when she rose to 14,000 feet
  • June 17-18, 1928 – First woman to fly across the Atlantic; 20hrs 40min (Fokker F7, Friendship)
  • Summer 1928 – Bought an Avro Avian, a small English plane famous because Lady Mary Heath, Britain’s foremost woman pilot, had flown it solo from Capetown, South Africa, to London
  • Fall 1928 – Published book, 20 Hours 40 Minutes, toured, and lectured; became aviation editor of Cosmopolitan magazine
  • August 1929 – Placed third in the First Women’s Air Derby, also known as the Powder Puff Derby; upgraded from her Avian to a Lockheed Vega
  • Fall 1929 – Elected as an official for National Aeronautic Association and encouraged the Federation Aeronautique Internationale (FAI) to establish separate world altitude, speed, and endurance records for women
  • June 25, 1930 – Set women’s speed record for 100 kilometers with no load and with a load of 500 kilograms
  • July 5, 1930 – Set speed record for of 181.18mph over a 3K course
  • September 1930 – Helped to organize and became vice president of public relations for new airline, New York, Philadelphia, and Washington Airways
  • April 8, 1931 – Set woman’s autogiro altitude record with 18,415 feet (in a Pitcairn autogiro)
  • May 20-21, 1932 – First woman to fly solo across the Atlantic; 14 hrs 56 min (it was also the 5th anniversary of Lindberg’s Atlantic flight; awarded National Geographic Society’s gold medal from President Herbert Hoover; Congress awarded her the Distinguished Flying Cross; wrote The Fun of It about her journey
  • August 24-25, 1932 – First woman to fly solo nonstop coast to coast; set women’s nonstop transcontinental speed record, flying 2,447.8 miles in 19hrs 5min
  • Fall 1932 – Elected president of the Ninety Nines, a new women’s aviation club which she helped to form
  • July 7-8, 1933 – Broke her previous transcontinental speed record by making the same flight in 17hrs 7min
  • January 11, 1935 – First person to solo the 2,408-mile distance across the Pacific between Honolulu and Oakland, California; also first flight where a civilian aircraft carried a two-way radio
  • April l9 – 20, 1935 – First person to fly solo from Los Angeles to Mexico City; 13hrs 23min
  • May 8, 1935 – First person to fly solo nonstop from Mexico City to Newark; 14hrs 19min
  • March 17, 1937 – Amelia and her navigator, Fred Noonan, along with Captain Harry Manning and stunt pilot Paul Mantz, fly the first leg of the trip from Oakland, California, to Honolulu, Hawaii, in 15 hours and 47 minutes
  • June 1, 1937 – Began flight around the world June 1937; first person to fly from the Red Sea to India
Lindbergh to Congress: Negotiate with Hitler - Jan 23, 1941 - HISTORY.com
On this day, Charles A. Lindbergh, a national hero since his nonstop solo flight across the Atlantic, testifies before the House Foreign Affairs Committee on the Lend-Lease policy-and suggests that the United States negotiate a neutrality pact with Hitler.....

During the mid-1930s, Lindbergh became familiar with German advances in aviation and warned his U.S. counterparts of Germany’s growing air superiority. But Lindbergh also became enamored of much of the German national “revitalization” he encountered, and allowed himself to be decorated by Hitler’s government, which drew tremendous criticism back home.

Upon Lindbergh’s return to the States, he agitated for neutrality with Germany, and testified before Congress in opposition to the Lend-Lease policy, which offered cash and military aid to countries friendly to the United States in their war effort against the Axis powers. His public denunciation of “the British, the Jewish, and the Roosevelt Administration” as instigators of American intervention in the war, as well as comments that smacked of anti-Semitism, lost him the support of other isolationists. When, in 1941, President Roosevelt denounced Lindbergh publicly, the aviator resigned from the Air Corps Reserve. He eventually contributed to the war effort, though, flying 50 combat missions over the Pacific. His participation in the war, along with his promotion to brigadier general of the Air Force Reserve in 1954 by President Dwight D. Eisenhower, a popular Pulitzer Prize-winning book, The Spirit of St. Louis,, and a movie based on his exploits all worked to redeem him in the public’s eyes.

Why Amelia Earhart Just Isn't All She's Cracked Up To Be

Amelia was a good pilot not a great pilot

She was famous because she got the rides to break aviation milestones. Doesn't mean other women could not have done the same if given the same chances Amelia was

Why did Amelia Earhart get the rides? Her husband was a renowned publicist George Eastman who was intent in making his wife famous. Amelia even got her hair cut so she would look more like Charles Lindbergh. The public ate it up

Her death seems more related to being in over her head to make an around the world flight and poor judgment

...Amelia was a good pilot not a great pilot...
Now we can agree. Yes, she was a good pilot and good pilots are respected unlike your initial statement that "She was not highly respected as a pilot".

She was not highly respected by some precisely because she was a female pilot. There were better women pilots who were far less respected, but those were the times.

Earhart was often hampered from the same assets and accomplishments of men simply because she was a woman. She accomplished what she did in spite of those who tried to hold her back. Same goes for other minorities like Bessie Coleman and every woman who became a WASP. WASP's weren't considered military so if they died in a crash, the other women had to take up a collection to send the body home.

Coleman, Bessie - National Aviation Hall of Fame

WASP Museum | Home

I thought it was a pretty good theory while it lasted
An interesting conspiracy theory, yes, but like most CTs, not logical. Why would this be such a secret for 80 years? We hung a bunch of Japanese for war crimes. Why not hang a couple for killing Earhart? Why is there no record? Why would the US and/or Japan keep this a secret?

Why do some people think everything is a conspiracy?
I've wondered that myself. Given that they are sane and rational, the prevailing theory seems to be that a conspiracy theory has a calming effect on people confused and/or worried by the chaos of reality, especially where people are concerned. Thinking they are "in the know" allows them to rest easier.

I've wondered that myself. Given that they are sane and rational, the prevailing theory seems to be that a conspiracy theory has a calming effect on people confused and/or worried by the chaos of reality, especially where people are concerned. Thinking they are "in the know" allows them to rest easier.
I'm thinking you're spot on with that assessment.

I didn't read much on this, but that picture isn't 'conclusive' of anything at all.

Because the US Government has lost all credibility. It is easier to believe a conspiracy theory rather than an explanation from the Government.

An interesting conspiracy theory, yes, but like most CTs, not logical. Why would this be such a secret for 80 years? We hung a bunch of Japanese for war crimes. Why not hang a couple for killing Earhart? Why is there no record? Why would the US and/or Japan keep this a secret?
The commemorative stamps did help make it more believable for me. I would like to hear the back story on those stamps now.

Nothing new. The theory that Amelia was captured by the Japanese was portrayed on an old episode of Unsolved Mysteries years ago...complete with local witnesses. Wouldn't surprise me if true and the government has been covering it up.

The commemorative stamps did help make it more believable for me. I would like to hear the back story on those stamps now.
Why would commemorative stamps made 50 years after the event make it more believable? I, too, would like to hear the backstory on why a Third World Country made the stamps to sell on the 50th Anniversary of her disappearance. Did you try Googling the backstory like you did the stamps?

I'd also like to hear why, if true, this story has never been revealed by either Japan or the US. What is the motivation for keeping it secret?

Nothing new. The theory that Amelia was captured by the Japanese was portrayed on an old episode of Unsolved Mysteries years ago...complete with local witnesses. Wouldn't surprise me if true and the government has been covering it up.
Why would "the government" cover it up?

Forum List

Back