Amazon announces 100K new jobs

richmond2
I have to go with this, Amazon may be akin to Walmart...the nations largest employer that has of course wiped out 100,000's of small businesses across America
Amazon is responsible for making thousands of new small businesses. You apparently don't know how it works.
Amazon’s Third-Party Sellers Ship Record-Breaking 2 Billion Items In 2014, But Merchant Numbers Stay Flat

But is it responsible for new jobs?

Do you seriously think I couldn't buy every single thing I ever bought on Amazon elsewhere?
What does that have to do with Amazon making thousands of new small businesses?

???? Seriously?

If Amazon didn't exist I would simply buy things elsewhere, supporting jobs there.
You clearly have not paid attention. Amazon employs thousands and in addition, they have thousands of independent small businesses selling on their site.

Ok you win. Amazon is creating tons of jobs, there are no retail stores closing out as a result. Gotcha.

richmond2
Amazon is responsible for making thousands of new small businesses. You apparently don't know how it works.
Amazon’s Third-Party Sellers Ship Record-Breaking 2 Billion Items In 2014, But Merchant Numbers Stay Flat

Do you seriously think I couldn't buy every single thing I ever bought on Amazon elsewhere?

???? Seriously?

If Amazon didn't exist I would simply buy things elsewhere, supporting jobs there.
You clearly have not paid attention. Amazon employs thousands and in addition, they have thousands of independent small businesses selling on their site.

Ok you win. Amazon is creating tons of jobs, there are no retail stores closing out as a result. Gotcha.
You apparently have trouble comprehending the written word. At no time have I stated retail stores are not closing.

Are you aware there are over 2 million third party sellers selling their products on Amazon? Do you know what this means?
Third-party merchants selling on Amazon hit record numbers

The number of people directly employed by amazon exceeds 268,000.
Amazon reaches new high of 268,900 employees — skyrocketing 47% in just one year

Now add this total the number of people who support all those third party sellers and Amazon corporate, and you have a significant number of people employed because Amazon exists. Are more people employed due to Amazon than those lost from brick and mortar stores closing, I do not know. Do you?

richmond2

???? Seriously?

You apparently have trouble comprehending the written word. At no time have I stated retail stores are not closing.

Are you aware there are over 2 million third party sellers selling their products on Amazon? Do you know what this means?

Amazon reaches new high of 268,900 employees — skyrocketing 47% in just one year

Now add this total the number of people who support all those third party sellers and Amazon corporate, and you have a significant number of people employed because Amazon exists. Are more people employed due to Amazon than those lost from brick and mortar stores closing, I do not know. Do you?

THEREFORE the conclusion:

It's not clear that Amazon is adding any NET jobs to our economy.

???? Seriously?

Damn...are you purposely being argumentative or are you stupid?

???? Seriously?

You are fucking retarded.

I wasn't responding to your post, you were respondinding to mine that argued that Amazon may not be actually adding net jobs to economy.

You have now conceded that you do not know if jobs lost due to Amazon in other retailers is made up by new jobs Amazon supports, thereby implicitly agreeing with my conclusion...while telling me that I'm being disagreeable for the sake of.

Last edited:

I wasn't responding to your post, you were respondinding to mine that argued that Amazon may not be actually adding net jobs to economy.
More...really?

I clearly stated early in the thread, I did not know if Amazon created more jobs than were lost. You just wanted to argue with me.

Why?

I have to go with this, Amazon may be akin to Walmart...the nations largest employer that has of course wiped out 100,000's of small businesses across America

I haven't seen any studies on the net outcome of Amazon, not to say some aren't out there - but perhaps not enough time has past to see full effect.
Everyone agrees that Americans will spend their paychecks on stuff...no matter who is selling the stuff.
So in that context, a dollar spent at Amazon is a dollar not spent somewhere else. In all of these dollars being spent...is it a net gain in employment, or a net loss? The companies that Amazon is having a crushing effect on....are they outweighed by new startups created in the Amazon store?
I don't know...
I don't know either, but I do know there are a lot of people making money on Amazon as third party sellers. It is much more efficient way for Americans to buy products.

Aye but efficiency can hurt.
In an interview a few months back Chinese top advisor when asked what is the greatest threat to both Chinese and American economies....he replied "what to do with excess population".
There will soon be 325 million people in America. Every year that goes by there are less people needed to serve that population...and that will continue. So increased efficiencies via technology or mergers that allow companies to get bigger and bigger - is it a good thing when the end result is an increasingly supply of employable people with a diminishing demand?
I am not sure you are correct with all that.

Technology has done wonders for all of us. Yes there is the fear that technology will force many people out of the work force. Is the answer to prevent technology from advancing? I don't think so.

I have long thought that huge corporations should be broken up. They can attain too much power resulting in them controlling our government and buying off stinking criminal politicians....but this is a different topic from improvements in technology.

Corporatism is annihilating the middle class and has created a H U G E concentration of wealth never seen in our history.
Corporatism is the single biggest threat to the average American, far more than ISIS or any other threat.
So much so, that our Republic is no longer a Democratic Republic. It is a Plutocratic Corporatocracy. That's a fact.
I am as pro business as it gets, and because of that - I am anti-corporate...in the sense of what corporatism has become today.

Not clear Amazon is going to create net jobs in our economy. It competes with traditional retail businesses that are losing jobs.

MACYs just closed up a lot of stores for example, SEARS too.

We just have to go along with it and keep faith in growth of productivity.

I love being able to buy used books from them, though. That's all I've ever used them for.

More...really?

I clearly stated early in the thread, I did not know if Amazon created more jobs than were lost. You just wanted to argue with me.

Why?

YOU WERE RESPONDING TO MY ORIGINAL POST. I WAS NOT RESPONDING TO YOUR. How can you possibly tell me that I'm the one who started arguing with you??

What the fuck is wrong with you?

I haven't seen any studies on the net outcome of Amazon, not to say some aren't out there - but perhaps not enough time has past to see full effect.
Everyone agrees that Americans will spend their paychecks on stuff...no matter who is selling the stuff.
So in that context, a dollar spent at Amazon is a dollar not spent somewhere else. In all of these dollars being spent...is it a net gain in employment, or a net loss? The companies that Amazon is having a crushing effect on....are they outweighed by new startups created in the Amazon store?
I don't know...
I don't know either, but I do know there are a lot of people making money on Amazon as third party sellers. It is much more efficient way for Americans to buy products.

Aye but efficiency can hurt.
In an interview a few months back Chinese top advisor when asked what is the greatest threat to both Chinese and American economies....he replied "what to do with excess population".
There will soon be 325 million people in America. Every year that goes by there are less people needed to serve that population...and that will continue. So increased efficiencies via technology or mergers that allow companies to get bigger and bigger - is it a good thing when the end result is an increasingly supply of employable people with a diminishing demand?
I am not sure you are correct with all that.

Technology has done wonders for all of us. Yes there is the fear that technology will force many people out of the work force. Is the answer to prevent technology from advancing? I don't think so.

I have long thought that huge corporations should be broken up. They can attain too much power resulting in them controlling our government and buying off stinking criminal politicians....but this is a different topic from improvements in technology.

Corporatism is annihilating the middle class and has created a H U G E concentration of wealth never seen in our history.
Corporatism is the single biggest threat to the average American, far more than ISIS or any other threat.
So much so, that our Republic is no longer a Democratic Republic. It is a Plutocratic Corporatocracy. That's a fact.
I am as pro business as it gets, and because of that - I am anti-corporate...in the sense of what corporatism has become today.
The REAL perpetrator is Big Government. Corporatism cannot exist if government does not allow it. Unfortunately, big gov and big biz sleep together.

More...really?

Why?

YOU WERE RESPONDING TO MY ORIGINAL POST. I WAS NOT RESPONDING TO YOUR. How can you possibly tell me that I'm the one wanting to argue with you??

You win!

Gotcha!

More...really?

Why?

YOU WERE RESPONDING TO MY ORIGINAL POST. I WAS NOT RESPONDING TO YOUR. How can you possibly tell me that I'm the one wanting to argue with you??

You win!

Gotcha!

Great, now go get a brain and stop wasting thread space with your ridiculous nonsense.

More...really?

Why?

You win!

Gotcha!

Great, now go get a brain and stop wasting thread space with your ridiculous nonsense.
Just copying you.

Forum List

Back