Amazon announces 100K new jobs

When you see large companies like Amazon and Costco investing in big money like that you know which direction the economy is headed.
Yes they invested zero dollars until Trump
A gauge of U.S. small business confidence rose to a 12-year high in December as optimism about the economy intensified among business owners following the November election, the National Federation of Independent Business said on Tuesday.

Have a nice day!
U.S. small business confidence soars to 12-year high: group
Thanks, Obama.

Amazon announces U.S. hiring spree
Amazon.com Inc (AMZN.O) on Thursday said it plans to create more than 100,000 jobs in the United States, from software development to warehouse work, becoming the latest company to boast a hiring spree since Donald Trump won the U.S. presidential election in November.
The world's largest online retailer will grow its full-time U.S. workforce by more than 50 percent to over 280,000 in the next 18 months, it said in a press release.
Amazon is spending heavily on new warehouses so it can stock goods closer to customers and fulfill orders quickly and cheaply. The new hires, from Florida to Texas and California, will be key to the company's promise of two-day shipping to members of its Amazon Prime shopping club, which has given it an edge over rivals.
BGC Partners analyst Colin Gillis said hiring was expected. "Amazon continues to meaningfully grow above e-commerce rates and continues to take share from traditional retailers," he said.
The e-commerce giant said in October it would add 26 fulfillment centers in 2016, mostly in North America. More are under construction.
----
Hell yeah!
Pluses and minuses:

Amazon to Create 100,000 New Jobs in U.S. in Next 18 Months

Still, Amazon’s move could do less to help the U.S. economy than is immediately apparent. Research groups have argued that the company kills more jobs than it creates because it has disrupted the traditional retail industry. Critics also say tax breaks and other incentives that have helped fuel Amazon’s warehouse growth weren’t worth the investment because they create mostly low-wage jobs, many of them temporary.

-----------------------
Wow, destroy the US Retail industry. All those buildings going empty.
-----------------------

Amazon’s new positions “are for people all across the country and with all types of experience, education and skill levels -- from engineers and software developers to those seeking entry-level positions and on-the-job training,” Amazon said. In addition to the fulfillment center positions, new hires will work on cloud technology, machine learning and advanced logistics, Amazon said.

------------------------

Engineers, software developers, cloud technology, machine learning, advanced logistics.
OK, that lets out Republicans. What's left? Stockboys?

-----------------------

Stuff has to be planned carefully. Seems for Republicans, those days are over. They will ruin the lives of their minions chasing rainbows and waterfalls. Never looking at the big picture.

have any idea if Trump had any hand in it? sure hope so.

NONE, this was in the works for a while now.
Hasn't stopped Trump from taking credit before
such as
Sprint for one. Ford's Mexico plant. What were the other ones? I can't remember and don't feel like looking them up.
Ford explicitly said it had nothing to do with trump. The only one he did have something to do with was Carrier, and he promised prohibitively expensive tax breaks to make that happen.
The CEO tweeted he did. And there was some public statement about it too. Ill see if I can find it.

Amazon.com Inc (AMZN.O) on Thursday said it plans to create more than 100,000 jobs in the United States, from software development to warehouse work, becoming the latest company to boast a hiring spree since Donald Trump won the U.S. presidential election in November.
The world's largest online retailer will grow its full-time U.S. workforce by more than 50 percent to over 280,000 in the next 18 months, it said in a press release.
Amazon is spending heavily on new warehouses so it can stock goods closer to customers and fulfill orders quickly and cheaply. The new hires, from Florida to Texas and California, will be key to the company's promise of two-day shipping to members of its Amazon Prime shopping club, which has given it an edge over rivals.
BGC Partners analyst Colin Gillis said hiring was expected. "Amazon continues to meaningfully grow above e-commerce rates and continues to take share from traditional retailers," he said.
The e-commerce giant said in October it would add 26 fulfillment centers in 2016, mostly in North America. More are under construction.
----
Hell yeah!

They gotta love that new corporate tax rate of 15%.

I'm sure we will see more than one company doing the same.

When you see large companies like Amazon and Costco investing in big money like that you know which direction the economy is headed.
A gauge of U.S. small business confidence rose to a 12-year high in December as optimism about the economy intensified among business owners following the November election, the National Federation of Independent Business said on Tuesday.

Have a nice day!
Thanks, Obama.
Yeah, Obama leaving has caused a spike in the economy.

NONE, this was in the works for a while now.
Hasn't stopped Trump from taking credit before
such as
Sprint for one. Ford's Mexico plant. What were the other ones? I can't remember and don't feel like looking them up.
Ford explicitly said it had nothing to do with trump. The only one he did have something to do with was Carrier, and he promised prohibitively expensive tax breaks to make that happen.
The CEO tweeted he did. And there was some public statement about it too. Ill see if I can find it.

Despite Trump victory lap, Ford wasn't planning to move plant to Mexico

Have a nice day!
Thanks, Obama.

Lmao, you probably believe that. Imma guess you have at least three dead animals on your wall.

Have a nice day!
Thanks, Obama.

Lmao, you probably believe that. Imma guess you have at least three dead animals on your wall.
"If the question is when markets will recover, a first-pass answer is never."
NY Times Paul Krugman,
election night.

Paul Krugman: The Economic Fallout

Not clear Amazon is going to create net jobs in our economy. It competes with traditional retail businesses that are losing jobs.

MACYs just closed up a lot of stores for example, SEARS too.

We just have to go along with it and keep faith in growth of productivity.

I have to go with this, Amazon may be akin to Walmart...the nations largest employer that has of course wiped out 100,000's of small businesses across America
Amazon is responsible for making thousands of new small businesses. You apparently don't know how it works.
Amazon’s Third-Party Sellers Ship Record-Breaking 2 Billion Items In 2014, But Merchant Numbers Stay Flat

I haven't seen any studies on the net outcome of Amazon, not to say some aren't out there - but perhaps not enough time has past to see full effect.
Everyone agrees that Americans will spend their paychecks on stuff...no matter who is selling the stuff.
So in that context, a dollar spent at Amazon is a dollar not spent somewhere else. In all of these dollars being spent...is it a net gain in employment, or a net loss? The companies that Amazon is having a crushing effect on....are they outweighed by new startups created in the Amazon store?
I don't know...

I have to admit I love Amazon... Living in Alaska we're rather limited on selection (like we don't have a custom PC mod supply shop up here, nowhere but Best Buy special order for computer components, nowhere to buy but the most junky musical instruments, etc.)

Not clear Amazon is going to create net jobs in our economy. It competes with traditional retail businesses that are losing jobs.

I have to go with this, Amazon may be akin to Walmart...the nations largest employer that has of course wiped out 100,000's of small businesses across America
Amazon is responsible for making thousands of new small businesses. You apparently don't know how it works.
Amazon’s Third-Party Sellers Ship Record-Breaking 2 Billion Items In 2014, But Merchant Numbers Stay Flat

I haven't seen any studies on the net outcome of Amazon, not to say some aren't out there - but perhaps not enough time has past to see full effect.
Everyone agrees that Americans will spend their paychecks on stuff...no matter who is selling the stuff.
So in that context, a dollar spent at Amazon is a dollar not spent somewhere else. In all of these dollars being spent...is it a net gain in employment, or a net loss? The companies that Amazon is having a crushing effect on....are they outweighed by new startups created in the Amazon store?
I don't know...
I don't know either, but I do know there are a lot of people making money on Amazon as third party sellers. It is much more efficient way for Americans to buy products.

I don't know...
I don't know either, but I do know there are a lot of people making money on Amazon as third party sellers. It is much more efficient way for Americans to buy products.

Aye but efficiency can hurt.
In an interview a few months back Chinese top advisor when asked what is the greatest threat to both Chinese and American economies....he replied "what to do with excess population".
There will soon be 325 million people in America. Every year that goes by there are less people needed to serve that population...and that will continue. So increased efficiencies via technology or mergers that allow companies to get bigger and bigger - is it a good thing when the end result is an increasingly supply of employable people with a diminishing demand?

----
Hell yeah!

have any idea if Trump had any hand in it? sure hope so.

Of course he did. He met with Bezos and other tech giants a few weeks back. Bezos promised to create the jobs just before he knelt down to kiss Trump's ring. It was in the papers.

I don't know...

In an interview a few months back Chinese top advisor when asked what is the greatest threat to both Chinese and American economies....he replied "what to do with excess population".
There will soon be 325 million people in America. Every year that goes by there are less people needed to serve that population...and that will continue. So increased efficiencies via technology or mergers that allow companies to get bigger and bigger - is it a good thing when the end result is an increasingly supply of employable people with a diminishing demand?

You are getting dangerously close to hitting the jackpot. And once that happens, your fellow nutbags won't like you very much. Are you prepared for that?

I don't know...

I am not sure you are correct with all that.

Technology has done wonders for all of us. Yes there is the fear that technology will force many people out of the work force. Is the answer to prevent technology from advancing? I don't think so.

I have long thought that huge corporations should be broken up. They can attain too much power resulting in them controlling our government and buying off stinking criminal politicians....but this is a different topic from improvements in technology.

I don't know...

You are getting dangerously close to hitting the jackpot. And once that happens, your fellow nutbags won't like you very much. Are you prepared for that?
Go away doofus.

richmond2

But is it responsible for new jobs?

Do you seriously think I couldn't buy every single thing I ever bought on Amazon elsewhere?
What does that have to do with Amazon making thousands of new small businesses?

???? Seriously?

If Amazon didn't exist I would simply buy things elsewhere, supporting jobs there.

I do presume in the lower 48 there is that option, buying elsewhere, so yes there is an arguable effect on local economies - but no one cared about that negative effect in the fight for $15/h so why should/would they care about it when a "non-local" company sweeps in and takes up the market share?

Not to mention it's all customer driven, I would have to guess that folks in the lower 48 choose to shop on Amazon, or even Wal-mart, because it's cheaper. That's the power of consumer choice, if the local places are charging more and not offering an offset of worth to the customers they take a hit.

And yes, local "grass root" movements for Buy local are a valid and good counter attack to the lower costs. In my case they just don't have it up here, but I'd much rather help the community I live in than another states, or another countries as the case may be.

richmond2

But is it responsible for new jobs?

Do you seriously think I couldn't buy every single thing I ever bought on Amazon elsewhere?
What does that have to do with Amazon making thousands of new small businesses?

???? Seriously?

If Amazon didn't exist I would simply buy things elsewhere, supporting jobs there.
You clearly have not paid attention. Amazon employs thousands and in addition, they have thousands of independent small businesses selling on their site.

Forum List

Back