Alternative Burials

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by California Girl, May 12, 2011.

1. California Girl

California Girl BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,965
    I was reading this article and it occurred to me that I've never really given any thought to the downside of dying, or as the author puts it 'how to die without killing the planet' (I thought that was pretty funny).

I quite like the alternatives rather than traditional burials or cremation. Some of the facts in that article are quite depressing reading.... like the facts about cemeteries and the impact of cremations!! Wow, I soooo did not know this stuff.

Have a read and consider the options. Which of the options outlined in the article would you choose? Do you care about the damage to the planet that you cause by dying, you selfish SOBs? :lol:

2. Blagger

Blagger BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +407
    Although I haven't read the article, California Girl (logging-in takes up most of my time on USMB nowadays) I've been interested in alternative, presently controversial methods of disposing of the deceased for some time now. Being interested in all things ancient, I've always regarded the funeral pire as a humbling and overwhelmingly solemn occasion. It was an ancient tradition all over ancient Europe - famously associated with the Romans, and it served as an occasion as much as a chance to dispose of a body or number of bodies. There are several pagan movements that have campaigned to dispose of their dead in accordance to pre-Christian tradition. As long as it doesn't impact on those that disagree with burning the dead as a means of corpse disposal, I honestly can't see the problem. And at any rate, Europeans - in Europe or beyond - should be made more aware of their pre-Christian heritage, in my opinion, that is.

P.s. As odd (grissly, even) as it may seem, after encountering the funeral pire in all the literature I've read on antiquity, I'd jump at the chance to attend a funeral pire - purely to satisfy a morbid curiousity, I admit.

3. California Girl

California Girl BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,965
    You really should take a look. It considers the environmental impacts of both burial and cremation - neither of which are good for the environment. And then outlines some different alternatives, like 'eco' burials (which I'm gonna find out more about because I quite like the look of those) as well as stuff like donating your body for research.

I found it fascinating.... it's not a long read and well worth it.

4. chikenwing

chikenwing Guest

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,960
    I would rather feed a tree,than be part of the blood sucking system we are subject to know. melting back into the earth is the way it should be.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. chikenwing

chikenwing Guest

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,960
    There is a cemetery not all that far from us that you can be buried in a pine box or wicker or just wrapped up in cloth,but you can't have been embalmed,cheap personal and sensible.

6. California Girl

California Girl BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,965
    According to the article, that's an 'eco' burial. The facts in the article about cemeteries and cremation were pretty disgusting.

7. Wiseacre

Wiseacre Retired USAF Chief Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,194
    What about doing an Osama, buried at sea. No burial, no cremation, got it. Truth be told, I don't give a flyin' fuck, you can do whatever you want with my leftovers but you gotta wait 'til I'm dead.

8. California Girl

California Girl BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,965
    I kind of fancy going to the 'body farm'. That sounds fun! LOL

9. xsited1

xsited1 Agent P

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,307
    Nobody is buried or cremated. Papier-mâché copies are made of the bodies and that's what is put in the ground or buried. The bodies are sent to a Soylent Green processing plant where they are processed and shipped to various fast food restaurants around the world.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  10. Big Fitz

Big Fitz User Quit *****

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,475
    Everything you wanted to know about Death...but were afraid to ask.

(in graphic novel format)

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Big-Book-Death-Bronwyn-Carlton/dp/1563891662/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1305226607&sr=1-1]Amazon.com: The Big Book of Death (9781563891663): Bronwyn Carlton: Books[/ame]

Oddities not in the book that I have heard of.

Editor in Chief of Marvel Comics Mark Gruenwald was cremated and had his ashes put into the ink of "Squadron Supreme" special issue.

Hunter S. Thompson had his ashes put in fireworks and shot off over his compound.

The inventor of the Frisbee had his ashes put into the plastic of a special issue frisbee made by Wham-o IIRC.

The book is fantastic. I particularly love the sections on "Famous Last Words", strange deaths and the art of embalming. The mechanics of execution are also particularly intriguing.