All the movies you must see

If you mean the movie reels, they have probably been trashed. This movie was released 54 years ago and it was far from being a blockbuster. The master has obviously been made available on DVD and now it is out being streamed. Probably somewhere in some warehouse, the masters are stored with the chemicals being eroded which is typical of movies that are not big hits. According to to Library of Congress only 14% of commercial films made are still around today. Half the films made before 1950 are gone and 90% of silent films are gone.
So the collectors are the only ones concerned with them and most of the collectors are film-makers themselves. If an old film like this is selected to be restored then the reels might not be available and a theater copy would need to be used, if available.

You'd think that the studios would want to keep everything locked away no matter how popular it was, but like NASA they appear to throw most of their originals out.

So the collectors are the only ones concerned with them and most of the collectors are film-makers themselves. If an old film like this is selected to be restored then the reels might not be available and a theater copy would need to be used, if available.

You'd think that the studios would want to keep everything locked away no matter how popular it was, but like NASA they appear to throw most of their originals out.
The dollar is king in the movie industry like no other industries. Movies up to 1970 were made for a theater or TV release. The first theater release lasted typically 3 or 4 months. Then the second release went to secondary theaters in small towns and the suburbs. Then they hit drive-ins and very low admission theatres with double bills. So after about year for most films, the money making days were over and the master went to the vault. Unfortunately many of these vaults were not made to achieve films centuries. They were storage rooms where the masters deteriorated.

By the end of the 40s every studio in Hollywood was having problems with TV stealing their audience and it only got worst in 50s. Liberty Pictures was absorbed by RKO and within a few years RKO when bust and most it's vault went to Paramount who sold parts of the holding to serval smaller companies. All studios were losing producers and directors who were creating their own small companies. Most these companies were absorbed by the 70s. The masters from these productions were all over the place deteriorating. Copies were made from master and sold to TV productions companies, who copied them over and over until they were unusable.

By 1990 many great movies had deteriorated so badly they were hardly watchable with bad soundtracks, faded color, and missing segments . Movies like My Fair Lady, A Star is Born, The Ten Commandments, The Jazz Singer, and many more would have been gone today had not been for a number of Hollywood actors, directors, and producers who poured many millions into film restoration. I saw My Fair Lady after the restoration on a big screen and it looked and sounded just as good as did over 50 years ago.

Last edited:
The dollar is king in the movie industry like no other industries. Movies up to 1970 were made for a theater or TV release. The first theater release lasted typically 3 or 4 months. Then the second release went to secondary theaters in small towns and the suburbs. Then they hit drive-ins and very low admission theatres with double bills. So after about year for most films, the money making days were over and the master went to the vault. Unfortunately many of these vaults were not made to achieve films centuries. They were storage rooms where the masters deteriorated.

By the end of the 40s every studio in Hollywood was having problems with TV stealing their audience and it only got worst in 50s. Liberty Pictures was absorbed by RKO and within a few years RKO when bust and most it's vault went to Paramount who sold parts of the holding to serval smaller companies. All studios were losing producers and directors who were creating their own small companies. Most these companies were absorbed by the 70s. The masters from these productions were all over the place deteriorating. Copies were made from master and sold to TV productions companies, who copied them over and over until they were unusable.

By 1990 many great movies had deteriorated so badly they were hardly watchable with bad soundtracks, faded color, and missing segments . Movies like My Fair Lady, A Star is Born, The Ten Commandments, The Jazz Singer, and many more would have been gone today had not been for a number of Hollywood actors, directors, and producers who poured many millions into film restoration. I saw My Fair Lady after the restoration on a big screen and it looked and sounded just as good as did over 50 years ago.

The majority of those older films that could be saved are probably already found, I suppose every once in a while someone finds a missing reel as I've read happened with some lost American films that were found in foreign vaults, but those rare discoveries are probably reaching their end. Now that everything is digital the materials available to collectors continuously shrink. That will drive prices up as demand slowly rises.

Actually, some movies are being filmed but the negatives are scanned into digital format to be released theatrically:

34 in 2017

45 in 2018

51 in 2019

19 in 2020

37 in 2021

5 in 2022

These are most likely incomplete lists but this "Anamorphic" digitial format seems to be the popular choice of film-makers nowadays.

Looks like the IMDb folks have a more in depth look at what movies were filmed than the magazine guys.

What I consider a film worth watching, is not (more than likely) what you consider a film worth watching.

And like most people, what "critics" say are the best movies are always propaganda movies of some type. "Critics" are PAID to "yeah" or "nay" movies they are TOLD to by their bosses. So I have absolutely NO interest in hearing anything a "critic" has to say about ANYTHING.

That being said, here's some of my favorite movies:

Anything by Doris Day
Anything by Sally Field
The Thin Man series
The Charlie Chan series
The Ma and Pa Kettle series
The Blondie series
The Topper series
Anything by Don Knotts
The Ghost and Mrs Muir
Doctor Doolittle (original)
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
Willie Wonka (original)
The Dirty Dozen
The 13 Ghosts (original)
All Quiet on the Western Front
pretty much anything John Wayne did
pretty much anything Clint Eastwood did
For Petes Sake
Whats Up Doc
Born Free
The Three Lives of Thomasina
Anything with Patrick McGoohan
All the James Bond films
Superman (Christopher Reeve)
Batman (Michael Keaton)
first 3 Star Wars
first 3 Star Treks (original cast)
American Werewolf in London
Victor Victoria
Thouroughly Modern Millie
Alien
Who Slew Auntie Roo
The Poseiden Adventure (Shelly Winters)
Anything with Claudette Colbert
The John Wick series
Bright
The Equalizer (Denzel Washington)
Kill Bill series
V for Vendetta
Inglorious Basterds
Thelma and Louise
Smokey and the Bandit series
Best Little Whorehouse in Texas
The Prestige
anything with Jody Foster
Mildred Pierce
Pocket Full of Miracles
Now Voyager
Whatever Happened to Baby Jane (Joan Crawford)
Mildred Pierce
Humouresque
Georgy Girl
Gattica
The Postman
Unbreakable
The Sixth Sense
My Bodyguard
The Goonies
Deathwish series (Charles Bronson)
anything with Glenn Ford
Mame (both Lucille Ball and Roselind Russell)
Close Encounters
E.T.
Ghostbusters
Mrs. Doubtfire
Caddyshack
Clue
Rocky Horror Picture Show
Legend (Tim Curry)
Mission Impossible series
Steel Magnolias
Whackiest Ship in the Army
the Matt Helm series
Planet of the Apes (original)
It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World
The Great Race
Around the World in 80 Days (original)
Pandoras Box (silent movie)
Joan of Arc (silent movie)
Tron
War Games
Johnny Neumonic
Evolution
Riddick series
Killer Klowns from Outer Space

There's more, but thats enough for now.

The majority of those older films that could be saved are probably already found, I suppose every once in a while someone finds a missing reel as I've read happened with some lost American films that were found in foreign vaults, but those rare discoveries are probably reaching their end. Now that everything is digital the materials available to collectors continuously shrink. That will drive prices up as demand slowly rises.
Very true, finding original film stock 100 years old that can be restored is nearly impossible. This is because the silver nitrate on the celluloid is deteriorating by 50 years and at 100 years the images become unrecognizable. There were a few people or organizations years ago who realized that these old films will have historical and possibly monetary value so they transferred the old movies to new stock giving them many years of new life. Today there are a number of film libraries in the world dedicate to preserving the old movies and restoring them.

The restoration process can be long and tedious. Often sections of the movie can not be restored. Thus begins the search for copies of the film that have that section. The cost of restoration is high. A black and white feature film with sound ranges from $50,000-$250,000. For a color feature with sound, the costs can range from $80,000-$450,000 to restore. So even if we have all parts of an old movie and it is suitable for restoration, it may not be restored because of the cost, lack of historical significance, or quality of the production. Some of the productions were so bad the studio didn't want to put their name on it, so they sold the movies to a minor studio for practically nothing or buried the film in their archives.

The Judy Garland movie, A Star is Born (1954) went through extensive restoration. All of the sound track was found and restored but there is still 10 mins of the video that has not been found. TCM showed the restored version with the missing ten minutes recently.

Last edited:

You're right, many movie studios are all about how much they can make this quarter. Movies that aren't making money today, or near the future are of no value. This is usually small movie makers who pull together a staff to make a few movies. Then their best and only director leaves and they're screwed. Then what happens to their inventory of masters. And sometimes more important, what happen to the copywrites, did they get transferred, and who owns them. There are a lot of movies made by small production companies years ago that won't be shown because a distributor does know who owns right to the movie. There are databased that can search but not everything is there

image.jpeg
The Blue Angel (1930)

Actually, some movies are being filmed but the negatives are scanned into digital format to be released theatrically:

34 in 2017

45 in 2018

51 in 2019

19 in 2020

37 in 2021

5 in 2022

These are most likely incomplete lists but this "Anamorphic" digitial format seems to be the popular choice of film-makers nowadays.
There are a number directors that prefer film. Advantages of shooting with film:
  • With a higher dynamic range, film is better at capturing white’s and blacks’ details and can’t be replicated with digital cameras. Also, film can capture subtle details lost in digital photography.
  • Film is more forgiving of minor focusing issues and exposure problems.
  • Film captures photos at higher resolution than most digital cameras.
However, digital has one really big advantage over film in movie making. The Director can see the result of shooting a scene immediately after shooting and it can be edited or re-shot before the actors leave and the set is torn down.

There are a number directors that prefer film. Advantages of shooting with film:
  • With a higher dynamic range, film is better at capturing white’s and blacks’ details and can’t be replicated with digital cameras. Also, film can capture subtle details lost in digital photography.
  • Film is more forgiving of minor focusing issues and exposure problems.
  • Film captures photos at higher resolution than most digital cameras.
However, digital has one really big advantage over film in movie making. The Director can see the result of shooting a scene immediately after shooting and it can be edited or re-shot before the actors leave and the set is torn down.

Digital can also be manipulated endlessly with computers removing the need for colored and tinted lenses.

Digital can also be manipulated endlessly with computers removing the need for colored and tinted lenses.
I think for most directors who choose film it is just a matter of experience with the medium. However, the fact that a shoot can be reviewed and even edited immediate is very useful and saves money. It eliminates the need to reshoot scenes after the film comes back from the lab days after the scene was shot. By that time the actors may not all be available and set may have been taken down.

I a saw a movie a few weeks ago where a woman was wearing a white dress climbing out of a window. The next scene showed her coming out the window to the street wearing a black dress. When the director was asked about this blooper he indicated that it wasn't worth reshooting.

Last edited:
I was actually thinking about this movie twice today, once at work and once on the way home and guess what. Three shuffles, cut and draw and its the movie I was thinking about. Talk about chances.

OIP.jpeg
Edge of Tomorrow (2014)

Screenshot_20221118-131317~01.png
Figures in a Landscape (1971)

I saw this movie on TV in the 90s, they showed this throughout the summer at 3am.

I made a list some months ago with about 250 movies that I must see and now I cant find the damn thing, so here I am trying to make a new list. What movies do I absolutely need to see if I haven't seen them yet? I like action comedy and scifi but I am willing to give most any film a good chance.
The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

Forum List

Back