All the movies you must see

Brick Gold

Gold Member
Jan 30, 2022
I made a list some months ago with about 250 movies that I must see and now I cant find the damn thing, so here I am trying to make a new list. What movies do I absolutely need to see if I haven't seen them yet? I like action comedy and scifi but I am willing to give most any film a good chance.

I made a list some months ago with about 250 movies that I must see and now I cant find the damn thing, so here I am trying to make a new list. What movies do I absolutely need to see if I haven't seen them yet? I like action comedy and scifi but I am willing to give most any film a good chance.
Crash

"Plan 9 From Outer Space"

1200px-Plan_9_Alternative_poster.jpg

Whenever I see a list of the top 100 movies or whatever made by film critics, they're never ones I want to see. I have no interest in 'culturally significant' (aka promotes leftwing values) films. Citizen Kane was rated by People Magazine as the best of all time. Huh? Some Like it Hot is routinely rated as one of the greatest comedies. I saw it awhile ago. It was average. But it was rated so highly because of the homo reference at the end. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. Same thing. A weird perverse film, but so lauded by the 'experts'. Well, the 'experts' are full of crap. They're twisted leftwingers.

But it was rated so highly because of the homo reference at the end.

No, it was rated so highly because of the superb performances by Jack Lemmon, Tony Curtis, and the genius writing talents of Billy Wilder and IAL Diamond. They even managed to get a halfway decent performance out of Marilyn Monroe.

It's a much better movie than "Citizen Kane" which is merely a more innovative movie.

No, it was rated so highly because of the superb performances by Jack Lemmon, Tony Curtis, and the genius writing talents of Billy Wilder and IAL Diamond. They even managed to get a halfway decent performance out of Marilyn Monroe.

It's a much better movie than "Citizen Kane" which is merely a more innovative movie.
Again, I found it middling as a comedy, but that's me.

No review I've read fails to mention the 'culturally significant' theme. Pushing the leftwing agenda. That's what's big in Hollywood.

Whenever I see a list of the top 100 movies or whatever made by film critics, they're never ones I want to see. I have no interest in 'culturally significant' (aka promotes leftwing values) films. Citizen Kane was rated by People Magazine as the best of all time. Huh? Some Like it Hot is routinely rated as one of the greatest comedies. I saw it awhile ago. It was average. But it was rated so highly because of the homo reference at the end. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. Same thing. A weird perverse film, but so lauded by the 'experts'. Well, the 'experts' are full of crap. They're twisted leftwingers.
Totally agree on Citizen Kane. If that’s the best movie of all time I must have no taste, because I thought it was a snooze fest

People who get paid to watch movies all the time (film critics) tend to have different perspectives on what is good and what is not good. They are not looking for the same things as the casual viewer, who wants to be entertained - and who PAID MONEY to be entertained.

The new Top Gun movie is killing it because...it is ENTERTAINING. Who gives a shit what the film critics think?

Okay, I will start the list off with all the movies I saw last year that I rated 7/10 or higher. You must see these movies because they're that damn good.

Tropic Thunder (2008)
Zoolander (2001)
The Gentlemen (2019)
Edge of Tomorrow (2014)
How Do You Know (2010)
The Men Who Stare At Goats (2009)
Billionaire Boys Club (2018)
Kingsmen: The Golden Circle (2017)
The Secret Life of Walter Mitty (2013)
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (1998)
The Imaginarium Of Doctor Parnassus (2009)
Oceans Eleven (2001)
Dr. Strangelove (1964)
Metropolis (1927)
The Wolf Of Wall Street (2013)
Phenomenon (1999)
The Departed (2006)
Ruthless People (1986)
Wise Guys (1986)
Hail, Ceasar! (2016)
300 (2006)
Troy (2004)
Gladiator (2000)
Drowning Mona (2000)
Get Shorty (1995)
Twins (1988)
The Apartment (1960)
Oblivion (2013)
Lone Survivor (2013)
Wild Strawberries (1957)
The Cat And The Canary (1927)
Being John Malkovich (1999)
Eraserhead (1977)
Souls For Sale (1923)
One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest (1975)
Forbidden Planet (1956)
Kelly's Heroes (1970)
Australia (2008)
The War Of The Worlds (1953)
In The Line Of Fire (1993)
Macbeth (1971)
The Merchant Of Venice (2004)
Pan's Labyrinth (2006)
The Lost World (1925)
The Seventh Seal (1957)
The Lord Of The Rings Trilogy (2001, 2002, 2003)
True Grit (2010)
The Andromeda Strain (1971)
Brainstorm (1983)
First Men in the Moon (1964)
Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow (2004)
Jack and the Beanstalk (1952)
Starship Troopers (1997)
It Came From Outer Space (1953)

People who get paid to watch movies all the time (film critics) tend to have different perspectives on what is good and what is not good. They are not looking for the same things as the casual viewer, who wants to be entertained - and who PAID MONEY to be entertained.

The new Top Gun movie is killing it because...it is ENTERTAINING. Who gives a shit what the film critics think?
I'm not much of a critic or reviewer but I know what I like. Don't analyze really, just watch and move on. I'm with you on the I'm-there-to-be-entertained perspective.

Not much of interest on IMDb except the same old same old. You got Top Gun, Mission Impossible, both Tom Cruise movies, probably as great as anything he's done. There's a serious lack of great films in recent years because all these movie makers are trying to play politics and put a big agenda in their works, really makes it seem dumb and uninteresting. Instead of going hey this would make a great movie they start with hey I got this political slant I gotta play now how can we dress it up. Really kills the whole idea. I want more great movies not some carefully crafted propaganda.

Forum List

Back