Alito

ScreamingEagle said:
Kennedy and other Dims went on the attack today and accused Alito of guilt by association, a well-known tactic used by totalitarians such as Hitler, Stalin, and Pol Pot.

The savage beast was pretty good last night!

manu1959 said:
watching todays hearings....

once again i would like someone to point out the line in the constitution where it says:

a woman is guaranteed an abortion as a constitutional right

i still can't find it....can someone help me out....feinstien, schumer, and kennedy all have seem to have found it....

You have to go to one of their offices and read their copy. But be careful, when you open the drawer that contains it, it moves, it ruffles around, it may be able to jump out and wander off, you see, its a "living, breathing document".....

ScreamingEagle said:
True, he has. However, I think it is important to point out the totally low-life and un-American totalitarian tactics of the leadership of the Democratic Party.

Any self-respecting Democrat should resign from their party after today's dispicable display. :nine:

I havent heard Liebermans name mentioned. Not surprising, one of the few sensible Dems around.

LuvRPgrl said:
The savage beast was pretty good last night!

Allright, another Savage fan...wondering if anyone else here listens much. I think he put the incident into the proper perspective.

LuvRPgrl said:
You have to go to one of their offices and read their copy. But be careful, when you open the drawer that contains it, it moves, it ruffles around, it may be able to jump out and wander off, you see, its a "living, breathing document".....

LOL!

LuvRPgrl said:
I havent heard Liebermans name mentioned. Not surprising, one of the few sensible Dems around.

Hopefully he and Zell Miller will reclaim the Democrat Party some day.

Laura Ingram belonged to the same Princeton group that the Dims were accusing Alito of belonging to. Zell Miller claimed that he would be proud to belong to any group that Laura Ingram belonged to. :)

A former clerk under Alito speaks out. She is a San Francisco attorney and a staunch died-in-the-wool California liberal. However, she is embarrassed by the distorted Dimwit attacks and does not want to see a filibuster. If anything, I'd say this protest by a San Francisco liberal is an indicator of how low the Dims have stooped in their inquisition of Sam Alito.

Liberal Former Alito Clerk: Don't "F" Alito
By opposing Alito, my fellow liberals and I run the real danger of shooting ourselves in our own left foot.
Jan 12, 2006
by Susan Sullivan

Most efforts at evaluating the nomination of Samuel Alito to the United States Supreme Court have fallen along predictable party lines. By opposing the nomination however, my fellow liberals and I run the real danger of shooting ourselves in our own left foot.

I was one of Judge Alito's law clerks from 1990-1991, the year the Casey decision was decided. I consider myself a social progressive. I am a card-carrying member of the ACLU and a liberal pro-choice advocate who supports abortion rights. I favor gun control, support gay marriage and oppose the death penalty. I also don't have a problem if you want to take "God" out of the Pledge of Allegiance. In short, no one is likely to mistake me for a conservative any time soon. Yet, I support the nomination of Judge Alito, because I know from having worked closely with him, that he is not a political ideologue and is not intent on advancing a conservative political agenda.

As a liberal, what scares me is not the prospect of having Sam Alito on the Supreme Court; what scares me is the way my fellow liberal Democrats are behaving in response to the nomination. I’m appalled and embarrassed by the fear mongering, the personal attacks and what I see as an irresponsible and misleading distortion of his real judicial record as well as his character. Now the threat of a filibuster lurks, and Senator Kennedy’s tirade about documents being concealed seems like little more than a pretext to justify such a threat.

In light of the Alito feeding frenzy, I feel compelled as a liberal and a former clerk to speak out and attempt to offer a different perspective to perhaps stem, or at least counter, what I see as a short-sighted, ill-considered and counter-productive attack strategy, made, sadly, by the very same liberal groups whose mission and philosophy I ordinarily support and embrace. I did not want to be part of the spin, but I don’t know how to stop it except to say what I know and hope some will listen.

http://www.townhall.com/opinion/columns/SusanSullivan/2006/01/12/182113.html

I think it worth mentioning that if a "conservative judicial agenda" can be said to exist, it's primary goal is strict adherence to the U.S. Constitution. The only people who would consider this a "bad agenda" would be those who perceive representative government as a threat.

What kind of jackass would feel that way? Oops...

manu1959 said:
watching todays hearings....

once again i would like someone to point out the line in the constitution where it says:

a woman is guaranteed an abortion as a constitutional right

i still can't find it....can someone help me out....feinstien, schumer, and kennedy all have seem to have found it....

It's in the back pages of the document entitled

"The law proclaims women have more power than men "

dilloduck said:
It's in the back pages of the document entitled

"The law proclaims women have more power than men "

Oh, I thought perhaps they left a "fill in the blank" area in case they missed anything.

Screaming Eagle, Im only a part time fan. Sometimes he hits things on the nail head, but I think often he takes things a bit far. Besides, I seem to be a lone wolf on the conservative side of things but I believe in open borders, world wide. I think Im most consistent on that though, as my roots say, "freedom" includes traveling anywhere in the world, it dont belong to no one.

WASHINGTON(AP) Samuel Alito coasted toward probable confirmation as the 110th Supreme Court justice Thursday, with the only question after 18 hours of grueling Senate interrogation being how many Democrats would support him.

Alito said nothing to undermine his solid support by the Senate's majority Republicans during three days of aggressive questioning by Democrats who challenged his credibility, judicial philosophy and independence.

"I am my own person, with whatever abilities I have and whatever limitations I have," Alito declared as he wrapped up his final public appearance before senators begin voting on his nomination to replace retiring Justice Sandra Day O'Connor.

Democrats contend the former Reagan administration lawyer is likely to swing the court to the right...

http://www.rr.com/flash/index.cfm

...ummm - per the wishes of the American people, as expressed in five of the last six election cycles. It's...a liberal's worst nightmare...it's...it's...representative government!!!

musicman said:
...ummm - per the wishes of the American people, as expressed in five of the last six election cycles. It's...a liberal's worst nightmare...it's...it's...representative government!!!

ARGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG NOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

have abused apportionment in the past--but the history is much older than that (google "gerrymander," and see how far it goes back). Republicans have raised it to a new level of precision, using computer models, voting rolls, and mid-census redistricting.

Ironically, DeLay himself may be the next victim of his own apportionment scheme. His own district is periliously close now, due to his loss of prestige, and many are predicting he will lose his re-election bid--which would have been sealed up if he'd left the Texas districts as they were.

I don't have two personalities--just one here. I am willing to criticize both sides. "Spin," for example, is a terrible invention of the Clinton White House, which Bush and Rove learned all they could from. We all would have been better off without it.

Mariner.

Mariner said:
have abused apportionment in the past--but the history is much older than that (google "gerrymander," and see how far it goes back). Republicans have raised it to a new level of precision, using computer models, voting rolls, and mid-census redistricting.

Ironically, DeLay himself may be the next victim of his own apportionment scheme. His own district is periliously close now, due to his loss of prestige, and many are predicting he will lose his re-election bid--which would have been sealed up if he'd left the Texas districts as they were.

I don't have two personalities--just one here. I am willing to criticize both sides. "Spin," for example, is a terrible invention of the Clinton White House, which Bush and Rove learned all they could from. We all would have been better off without it.

Mariner.

So the GOP finally realized how to outmanoeuver the DNC?

Mariner said:

Mariner.

Nothing wrong with the GOP beating the Dems to the punch. You know if the Dems had thought of it first, to go to that level, using computers and all, they would have.

VERY interesting to see how the Supreme Court views the aggressive Texas tactics. DeLay pushed the envelope pretty far. Even in a friendly House he earned numerous ethics rebukes. It's very difficult to justify redistricting in-between census years. It's also very difficult to justify either party having control of districting, since it effectively deprives people of the right to vote--which is pretty much the definition of living in a democracy. I support neutral apportionment by independent parties, with a goal of maximum equality in voting power, e.g. one person, one vote.

Mariner.

Forum List

Back