Alaska sues Biden over oil

Robert W

Platinum Member
Gold Supporting Member
Sep 9, 2022
We can argue here over oil leases controlled in the USA
The Alaska Industrial Development and Export Authority, which held the leases before they were canceled, is asking the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia to restore them, arguing the federal government's decision violates a clear Congressional mandate in a 2017 tax bill to open up the Arctic to drilling.

"The federal government is determined to strip away Alaska’s ability to support itself, and we have got to stop it,” said Republican Alaska Governor Mike Dunleavy in a statement.

The Alaska Industrial Development and Export Authority, which held the leases before they were canceled, is asking the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia to restore them, arguing the federal government's decision violates a clear Congressional mandate in a 2017 tax bill to open up the Arctic to drilling.

"The federal government is determined to strip away Alaska’s ability to support itself, and we have got to stop it,” said Republican Alaska Governor Mike Dunleavy in a statement.
So, we get to keep the National Artic Wildlife Reserve, but North Slope drilling gets to increase by the largest project in Alaska in 30 years in Alaska in National Petroleum Reserve. Hmmm. Sounds good to me.

For the "Drill Baby Drill" crowd, we are pumping at higher rates than ever before. At the same time, other countries are limiting the pumping into the markets to keep the price high. It should be noted, we have the 8th largest proven reserves on the planet, while some of those above us have almost 3 times as much petroleum in the ground, yet pumping less. Is it best we pump the most, in an effort to deplete our earliest, while assuring even greater short term profits (presently at historic highs), though the other countries having more control over the amount pumped can easily limit their production, negating the effects of our production increases on the international market, the very market that does in fact regulate international price, by regulating supply? Exxon did a study that said we would deplete reserves in maybe 50 years. Obviously, these other countries have much longer, to their long term benefit. We cannot "drill baby drill" our way to cheap gasoline and if we do, we will end up supporting those limiting countries sooner, if we do not have alternatives in place in the time frame.

You tell me the answer. I am interested to hear as applied to short term and long term goals and economic realities.

Palin cancelled 4 major oil projects in Alaska to give each citizen cash instead.

These people are idiots.

So, we get to keep the National Artic Wildlife Reserve, but North Slope drilling gets to increase by the largest project in Alaska in 30 years in Alaska in National Petroleum Reserve. Hmmm. Sounds good to me.

For the "Drill Baby Drill" crowd, we are pumping at higher rates than ever before. At the same time, other countries are limiting the pumping into the markets to keep the price high. It should be noted, we have the 8th largest proven reserves on the planet, while some of those above us have almost 3 times as much petroleum in the ground, yet pumping less. Is it best we pump the most, in an effort to deplete our earliest, while assuring even greater short term profits (presently at historic highs), though the other countries having more control over the amount pumped can easily limit their production, negating the effects of our production increases on the international market, the very market that does in fact regulate international price, by regulating supply? Exxon did a study that said we would deplete reserves in maybe 50 years. Obviously, these other countries have much longer, to their long term benefit. We cannot "drill baby drill" our way to cheap gasoline and if we do, we will end up supporting those limiting countries sooner, if we do not have alternatives in place in the time frame.

You tell me the answer. I am interested to hear as applied to short term and long term goals and economic realities.
Thank you for asking. First don't you think the claims by Alaska are valid claims? Why force Alaska to be victims? We are also pumping less in various wells. They are depleting.

Here is what I don't get about the anti-oilers.

But for oil, we would not have so many benefits as we currently have. I dread the idea of the horse and buggy days. Biden loves railroads. What happens to the rest of us who can't reach railroads? Here in Idaho Biden gave us the middle finger by denying our request for restoring our rail system. I have been into a railroad station in Boise that is a museum. Though the rails are there, you can't get a ticket to anywhere.

I frankly am not persuaded that oil is not presently being formed in particular areas of Earth. But our very lives, our prosperity, our ways to travel depend on oil. We can't drive our aircraft using windmills. Prop planes have particular disadvantages that jets have.

Beating up on oil is bad national policy.

I replied. I want to take the time and effort to thank you for a very thoughtful and well explained post to me.

Palin cancelled 4 major oil projects in Alaska to give each citizen cash instead.

These people are idiots.
You are probably thinking of former Governor Frank Murkowski...

JUNEAU, Alaska — The state of Alaska plans to strip oil companies of their leases on the Point Thomson oil and gas field after finding that the primary lease holder, Exxon Mobil, failed to come up with a viable plan for developing the field's vast reserves.

Governor Frank Murkowski, alongside the natural resources commissioner, Mike Menge, announced the decision Monday, just one week shy of the end of Murkowski's administration.

The governor said that Exxon Mobil, despite being granted numerous extensions over several decades, failed to make good on its obligations as operator of the field.

Thank you for asking. First don't you think the claims by Alaska are valid claims? Why force Alaska to be victims? We are also pumping less in various wells. They are depleting.

Here is what I don't get about the anti-oilers.

But for oil, we would not have so many benefits as we currently have. I dread the idea of the horse and buggy days. Biden loves railroads. What happens to the rest of us who can't reach railroads? Here in Idaho Biden gave us the middle finger by denying our request for restoring our rail system. I have been into a railroad station in Boise that is a museum. Though the rails are there, you can't get a ticket to anywhere.

I frankly am not persuaded that oil is not presently being formed in particular areas of Earth. But our very lives, our prosperity, our ways to travel depend on oil. We can't drive our aircraft using windmills. Prop planes have particular disadvantages that jets have.

Beating up on oil is bad national policy.
Obviously not beating up on the oil industry, as they are pumping more than ever before and Alaska's Willow project will only add to that. What do you make of the projection that US oil production will increase by another 1 Million Barrels a day in 2024?
But, like I said, or inferred, is it wise to try to go to max pumping beyond the projections in order to have short term spike, if it will not lower price at the pumps (as bigger oil reserve countries continut to cut their production) and pump more now, might mean we run out sooner.
Do you have information that says world proven reserves by country are wrong? Or just have the feeling they are wrong? You say "not persuaded that oil is not presently being formed in particular areas of Earth." What gives you the impression those areas of the earth are in the US, if you do not believe the analysis of oil giants, such as Exxon.

If you are worried about depleting oil than you must be against solar and wind power, inefficient use of natural resources requires massive amounts of oil

These people are idiots.
The payouts to Alaska citizens are from fees and profits from oil projects. Cancelling projects would not increase them by a dime. I can’t find any references that Palin cancelled anything. Please post your source if you have one.

Since greenies are wedded to the idea that fossil fuel is killing the planet I’m not believing that you are worried about America running out of oil too soon

I think the left worries that we wont run out soon enough

If you are worried about depleting oil than you must be against solar and wind power, inefficient use of natural resources requires massive amounts of oil
No. We need the total mix of all energy sources. Look at what the government does, when left alone, to work toward broad based efficiencies. TVA, for example supplying power to many states, using Nuclear, HydroElectric, Gas, Coal, Wind and Solar, while cutting back on Coal for cleaner air and keeping costs down to some of the lowest in the country, while providing not only power, but navigation, flood control, conservation, parks and natural area, etc.

Since greenies are wedded to the idea that fossil fuel is killing the planet I’m not believing that you are worried about America running out of oil too soon

I think the left worries that we wont run out soon enough
I'm certainly not worried about it running out soon. I will be 70 on my next birthday. I won't be around, even for the wildest hair on fire short term doom dates. Those dates do exist though. One thing is for certain. When we do run out, we will be buying from the people that are cutting back their production now, to keep the prices and profits up, if we have not made our power sources broad based to the point of redundancy. That is, if they will sell it to us, as several of them have already proven not to be our friends.

I'm certainly not worried about it running out soon. I will be 70 on my next birthday. I won't be around, even for the wildest hair on fire short term doom dates. Those dates do exist though. One thing is for certain. When we do run out, we will be buying from the people that are cutting back their production now, to keep the prices and profits up, if we have not made our power sources broad based to the point of redundancy. That is, if they will sell it to us, as several of them have already proven not to be our friends.
I think you long for the day when gasoline is unaffordable for the average driver and greenies can save the planet by forcing everyone to ride electric mass transit

The free market does not need lefty puppet masters deciding what to do

Government is a parasite feasting off the effort and creativity of private individuals

I think you long for the day when gasoline is unaffordable for the average driver and greenies can save the planet by forcing everyone to ride electric mass transit

The free market does not need lefty puppet masters deciding what to do

Government is a parasite feasting off the effort and creativity of private individuals
No. I just think all things do run out, sooner or later. If you start with less and use it up quickest, everybody with much more will still have some, (maybe a lot) when yours is gone.

Do the free markets need prompting and pushing from the righties that want as much as possible now, whether they leave any for their kids. If already producing more than anybody, why push for more?

Government(s)? Gee, I thought the oil companies were garnering the lions share of profits, along with the countries with command/demand government controlled production.

How are you going to make the countries with much larger supplies of oil, open their spickets to allow oil and gasoline prices to fall? What economic force can you bring to bear?

No. I just think all things do run out, sooner or later. If you start with less and use it up quickest, everybody with much more will still have some, (maybe a lot) when yours is gone.

Do the free markets need prompting and pushing from the righties that want as much as possible now, whether they leave any for their kids. If already producing more than anybody, why push for more?

Government(s)? Gee, I thought the oil companies were garnering the lions share of profits, along with the countries with command/demand government controlled production.

How are you going to make the countries with much larger supplies of oil, open their spickets to allow oil and gasoline prices to fall? What economic force can you bring to bear?

We offer incentives

For instance libs used to complain bitterly about bush41’s close friendship with the the Saudi royal family

But he could get their cooperation when oil and saudi-hating libs cannot

The Saudi’s helped America win the Cold War against the communists in Russia

No. We need the total mix of all energy sources. Look at what the government does, when left alone, to work toward broad based efficiencies. TVA, for example supplying power to many states, using Nuclear, HydroElectric, Gas, Coal, Wind and Solar, while cutting back on Coal for cleaner air and keeping costs down to some of the lowest in the country, while providing not only power, but navigation, flood control, conservation, parks and natural area, etc.
What we don't need is dinosaurs. Giant wind and solar projects that eat up land by the square mile and millions of tons of natural resources.

What we don't need is the government's green economy they state will cost over a $100 trillion

What we don't need is an unpredictable electricicity source such as wind and solar

We don't need extremely weak sources of electricity, solar and wind.

What we do need us a source of electricity that is cheap and can provide us with electricity 24 hours a day, all year long. Which is Nuclear power

We offer incentives

For instance libs used to complain bitterly about bush41’s close friendship with the the Saudi royal family

But he could get their cooperation when oil and saudi-hating libs cannot

The Saudi’s helped America win the Cold War against the communists in Russia
What incentive do you have in mind, protecting their oil fields, so they don't have to, just to help the murderous Prince out? We are doing that now, I thought. The Saudis are not our friends. They proved that, financing 911. Be careful who you sleep with. Your dick may shrivel and fall off, while you are the one getting fked.

What we don't need is dinosaurs. Giant wind and solar projects that eat up land by the square mile and millions of tons of natural resources.

What we don't need is the government's green economy they state will cost over a $100 trillion

What we don't need is an unpredictable electricicity source such as wind and solar

We don't need extremely weak sources of electricity, solar and wind.

What we do need us a source of electricity that is cheap and can provide us with electricity 24 hours a day, all year long. Which is Nuclear power
I am in a state where 49% of the power comes from nuclear. but they are still diversified, and it is a good thing.

Forum List

Back