Al Franken Really Should Just Stop Preaching

Bonnie

Jun 30, 2004
Wherever
Sun: Air America Insider 'Sickened' by Corruption

A one-time top executive of the celebrated liberal radio network Air America complained earlier this year that he was "sickened" after learning that the company was being kept afloat by a corrupt $875,000 loan from a New York City Boys & Girls Club, the New York Sun reported this week.

"The notion that money left the Gloria Wise Boys & Girls Club so that Evan [Cohen] could pretend that he was investing in Air America sickened me to my core," David Goodfriend, a former Clinton administration official, said in a deposition in an unrelated civil suit against the network.

At the time - May 2004 - Mr. Cohen served as both chairman of Progress Media, the corporate entity that controlled Air America, and as developmental director for Gloria Wise. Cohen allegedly obtained the $875,000 loan from Gloria Wise with the understanding that the money would be repaid with interest.

A transcript of Goodfriend's May 16, 2005, deposition was obtained by the New York Sun, which revealed damaging excerpts on Tuesday.

Mr. Goodfriend said in the deposition, for instance, that when investors found out about the Gloria Wise loan they concluded, "I think we better just form a new company clean of any old liabilities."

Goodfriend interpreted that move to mean the Boys & Girls Club would not see their money repaid.

When news of the loan first became public in July, Air America initially insisted that it was a debt incurred by previous owners and that its new owners, Piquant LLC, had no obligation to repay the loan.

After negative publicity began to grow, however, Air America executives changed their tune, first promising to repay the loan in installments - and then finally paying off the entire principal earlier this month.

In comments that echo Goodriend's assessment of Mr. Cohen, top Air America star Al Franken complained in August that he was "a crook."

"Here's the deal," the Air America host told his audience. "The first guy who was chairman of the board of Air America - Evan Cohen - was a crook, it turns out. I mean, I guess that's the only way to put it."

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2005/9/21/111027.shtml?et=y

Why are you guys bashing Franken? Is what he said not true? It sounds like Cohen found a loophole that would've allowed him to embezzle the money, thus skirting his company's debt to the boys and girls club. He is a crook. Am I missing something?

Hagbard Celine said:
Why are you guys bashing Franken? Is what he said not true? It sounds like Cohen found a loophole that would've allowed him to embezzle the money, thus skirting his company's debt to the boys and girls club. He is a crook. Am I missing something?

Well the fact that he's a liar leads me to the conclusion that he can't be taken seriously on any other level. Where is Franken's outrage at this??? And what is he going to do make amends??

What do you mean? Franken called Cohen a crook. He is outraged. What did he lie about?

Air America made amends by paying the loan off after the bad publicity and firing Cohen.

Hagbard Celine said:
What do you mean? Franken called Cohen a crook. He is outraged. What did he lie about?

Air America made amends by paying the loan off after the bad publicity and firing Cohen.

Easier than telling from my mouth here are the facts

by Brian Maloney and Michelle Malkin
Sept. 7, 2005
(Part II of this installment is at The Radio Equalizer)

Take a close look at this signature.

It belongs to Air America host and crusader for truth Al Franken. It is contained in a legal document we have obtained that exposes the Grand Canyon-sized chasm between what Al Franken says and what Al Franken does.

On July 27, our blogs first reported on a shady loan scheme between Air America Radio and the Gloria Wise Boys & Girls Club (which is now under investigation by both NYC's Department of Investigation and NYS Attorney General Eliot Spitzer). National mainstream media outlets have failed to give the deal--and Air America's continued money-flow crisis--the scrutiny they deserve.

Air America has yet to formally offer to pay back the loan in full, and knowledgeable sources tell us the liberal radio network is contemplating how to stem the lingering bad publicity. Anticipating further negative press, the company is apparently poised to "settle" the matter very soon.

Along with the network's current management and shell-game-playing owners, Al Franken has gotten a pass, even from some conservative commentators who have claimed that it's unfair to blame the liberal radio network's financial and legal entanglements on its on-air talent.

Those claims are wrong.

According to a November 2004 settlement agreement between former Air American head honchos Evan Cohen and Rex Sorensen and Air America's current owners and investors at Piquant LLC, Al Franken was smack dab in the middle of negotiations over the debts owed by the liberal radio network--including the Gloria Wise loan. The agreement was signed to clear the decks in advance of the questionable asset transfer from Air America's old owners, Progress Media and Radio Free America, to Piquant. (This is the transfer being challenged by Multicultural Radio Broadcasting Inc. as a "fraudulent conveyance," which we first reported exclusively in the first installment in our investigative blog series, "A Trail of Debts.")

Far from being an innocent party with no knowledge of Air America's money woes, Franken was a signatory to the agreement. The document, published here for the first time, exposes how Franken misled his listeners and the press about his knowledge of the charity loan.

Let's flash back to what Al Franken claimed he knew and didn't know about the dubious loan deal in his August 8, 2005, Air America radio monologue:

FRANKEN: Anyway, so here's the deal. So the first guy who was the chairman of the board of of Air America, a guy named Evan Cohen, was a crook, it turns out. I guess that's the only way to put it (laughter) and, but, he got a job.... (interruption)
THE TRUTH: Although Franken claims that Cohen “was a crook,” Cohen has neither been charged nor convicted of embezzling any of the Gloria Wise Boys & Girls Club money. Franken himself acknowledges just a few moments later (see below) that he believes the money was probably used “for [Air America] operations,” including Franken’s salary. Thus, Franken’s insinuation that Cohen stole the money is unsubstantiated.

In a phone interview from Hawaii this week, Cohen (who we reached through a relative) told us: "Was what I did stupid? Yes. Illegal? No." He emphasized that "not a dime" of the $875,000 in question went to him. Apparently, Franken got at least one thing right.

Franken continues:

FRANKEN: Ok, it turns out he was on the board, or worked for, this Gloria Wise Boys and Girls Club in the Bronx or something.
"Or something." Make a note of that.

And he uh, borrowed (laughter) $875,000 from, I don't know why they did it, and I don't know where the money went, I don't know if it was used for operations (softer, especially fast), which I imagine it was. I think he was robbing Peter to pay Paul.
THE TRUTH: Again, if the money was borrowed from Gloria Wise to cover Air America’s operating costs, as Franken imagines and Cohen alleges, then there is no basis for Franken’s insinuation that Cohen stole the $875,000 in question.

Now, for a Burger King whopper:

FRANKEN: And about three weeks into the life of Air America, I became an involuntary investor. I stopped being paid.
So now, we started to make arrangements, and I didn't know anything about this until late last week...

THE TRUTH: Franken signed the settlement agreement, which includes detailed information about the Gloria Wise loan, on November 22, 2004. (See signature above.) The document shows that the signatories knew about the Gloria Wise scheme and other liabilities...

You can see the memo at the website
http://michellemalkin.com/archives/003487.htm

Well that seems pretty petty on Franken's part, but in his defense, Malkin has selectively quoted him to paint him in a false light.

She left out this part. "Mr. Franken also said that the network's new owners "don't legally have to pay it back" - referring to the loans - "because we're a different company or something."

"But morally we do," he said.

Bronx Boys Club's Finances Investigated

I think Michelle Malkin's viewpoint might be a tad slanted to the right. Maybe.

Hagbard Celine said:
Well that seems pretty petty on Franken's part, but in his defense, Malkin has selectively quoted him to paint him in a false light.

She left out this part. "Mr. Franken also said that the network's new owners "don't legally have to pay it back" - referring to the loans - "because we're a different company or something."

"But morally we do," he said.

Bronx Boys Club's Finances Investigated

I think Michelle Malkin's viewpoint might be a tad slanted to the right. Maybe.

Wrong, as your own post illustrated, Michelle posted all that was needed, since your link was from her:

Many links:

http://michellemalkin.com/archives/003487.htm
INSIDE AIR AMERICA: AL FRANKEN'S LYING LIES
By Michelle Malkin · September 07, 2005 02:22 AM

Inside Air America: Al Franken's Lying Lies
Part of an ongoing investigative blog series

by Brian Maloney and Michelle Malkin
Sept. 7, 2005
(Part II of this installment is at The Radio Equalizer)

Take a close look at this signature.

frankensig.JPG

It belongs to Air America host and crusader for truth Al Franken. It is contained in a legal document we have obtained that exposes the Grand Canyon-sized chasm between what Al Franken says and what Al Franken does.

On July 27, our blogs first reported on a shady loan scheme between Air America Radio and the Gloria Wise Boys & Girls Club (which is now under investigation by both NYC's Department of Investigation and NYS Attorney General Eliot Spitzer). National mainstream media outlets have failed to give the deal--and Air America's continued money-flow crisis--the scrutiny they deserve.

Air America has yet to formally offer to pay back the loan in full, and knowledgeable sources tell us the liberal radio network is contemplating how to stem the lingering bad publicity. Anticipating further negative press, the company is apparently poised to "settle" the matter very soon.

Along with the network's current management and shell-game-playing owners, Al Franken has gotten a pass, even from some conservative commentators who have claimed that it's unfair to blame the liberal radio network's financial and legal entanglements on its on-air talent.

Those claims are wrong.

According to a November 2004 settlement agreement between former Air American head honchos Evan Cohen and Rex Sorensen and Air America's current owners and investors at Piquant LLC, Al Franken was smack dab in the middle of negotiations over the debts owed by the liberal radio network--including the Gloria Wise loan. The agreement was signed to clear the decks in advance of the questionable asset transfer from Air America's old owners, Progress Media and Radio Free America, to Piquant. (This is the transfer being challenged by Multicultural Radio Broadcasting Inc. as a "fraudulent conveyance," which we first reported exclusively in the first installment in our investigative blog series, "A Trail of Debts.")

Far from being an innocent party with no knowledge of Air America's money woes, Franken was a signatory to the agreement. The document, published here for the first time, exposes how Franken misled his listeners and the press about his knowledge of the charity loan.

Let's flash back to what Al Franken claimed he knew and didn't know about the dubious loan deal in his August 8, 2005, Air America radio monologue:

FRANKEN: Anyway, so here's the deal. So the first guy who was the chairman of the board of of Air America, a guy named Evan Cohen, was a crook, it turns out. I guess that's the only way to put it (laughter) and, but, he got a job.... (interruption)

THE TRUTH: Although Franken claims that Cohen “was a crook,” Cohen has neither been charged nor convicted of embezzling any of the Gloria Wise Boys & Girls Club money. Franken himself acknowledges just a few moments later (see below) that he believes the money was probably used “for [Air America] operations,” including Franken’s salary. Thus, Franken’s insinuation that Cohen stole the money is unsubstantiated.

In a phone interview from Hawaii this week, Cohen (who we reached through a relative) told us: "Was what I did stupid? Yes. Illegal? No." He emphasized that "not a dime" of the $875,000 in question went to him. Apparently, Franken got at least one thing right.

Franken continues:

FRANKEN: Ok, it turns out he was on the board, or worked for, this Gloria Wise Boys and Girls Club in the Bronx or something.

"Or something." Make a note of that.

And he uh, borrowed (laughter) $875,000 from, I don't know why they did it, and I don't know where the money went, I don't know if it was used for operations (softer, especially fast), which I imagine it was. I think he was robbing Peter to pay Paul.

THE TRUTH: Again, if the money was borrowed from Gloria Wise to cover Air America’s operating costs, as Franken imagines and Cohen alleges, then there is no basis for Franken’s insinuation that Cohen stole the $875,000 in question.

Now, for a Burger King whopper:

FRANKEN: And about three weeks into the life of Air America, I became an involuntary investor. I stopped being paid.

So now, we started to make arrangements, and I didn't know anything about this until late last week...

THE TRUTH: Franken signed the settlement agreement, which includes detailed information about the Gloria Wise loan, on November 22, 2004. (See signature above.) The document shows that the signatories knew about the Gloria Wise scheme and other liabilities...

settle1104.JPG

...likely since at least May 2004:

settleliab.JPG

In other words, Franken claimed on the air he knew nothing of the Gloria Wise "or something" fiasco nine months after he signed a legal agreement that specifically outlined the loans to Gloria Wise and required Air America to pay them back.

Cohen told us: "Al Franken calling me a crook is a little like the pot calling the kettle black."

Indeed.

Another Frankenlie:

FRANKEN: So, um, we had to do, forensic, or not we, but the guys who run the thing, the new management, did forensic accounting, and discovered this big loan from this Boys and Girls Club, and Rob Glaser, the new guy, who is the head of this new company Piquant, said OK, we don't legally have to pay it back, because we're a different company I guess, but we morally do, so they start making arrangements to pay it back.

THE TRUTH: Franken suggests that Piquant had no legal obligation to repay the Gloria Wise loan. This is patently false. The settlement agreement, which is legally binding, requires Piquant to pay back the loan. Franken signed that agreement (see above) and unless he has an evil twin, he knew exactly what he was doing and what was in the agreement--and signed it knowingly and freely:

frankenknew.JPG

Yet another Franken untruth:

And just as that was happening, the Gloria Wise Boys and Girls Club went belly up, and started being investigated by the state, or the city, or something, and so this all halted that.

THE TRUTH: Franken suggests that Piquant’s decision to repay the loan in May 2004 occurred at the same time that the city’s investigation began. The New York Sun, however, has reported that the city began its probe 19 months ago--5 months before Piquant LLC agreed to pay back the loan in May 2004. If the Sun’s reporting is accurate, it directly contradicts Franken’s timeline.

Also false: Franken’s claim that “the Gloria Wise Boys and Girls Club went belly up.” The Club is still operative.

Another big whopper (buried in an ad hominem attack):

Now the Washington Times started making a big deal out of it, and the New York Post, and a woman named Michelle Malkin, (laughter)...

GUEST: So you're getting pretty close to the bottom of the barrel. (laughter)

FRANKEN: Yes, the bottom of the barrel, now and I don't get it because in the Post, they just put my picture up, not only that, they show pictures of the last article they did too, you know how they do that in the Post? (laughter)

So they show a picture of me and a picture of me (laughter)....

So I'm trying to be as responsible as I can, to know as much as I can about this, but I really have nothing to do with it. (laughter)

THE TRUTH: Franken’s signature is on the settlement agreement in which Piquant LLC agreed to repay the loan. (See above.) This directly contradicts Franken’s statement that he had “nothing to do with it.”

As for Cohen, the man Franken publicly distanced himself from as a "crook," the settlement agreement that Franken and his colleagues signed secures "continuing assistance" from Cohen and his former Air America officer/business partner Rex Sorensen in any controversy or legal matter involving Piquant and provides for reimbursing them for their consulting services:

frankenknew2.JPG

By his own word and hand, Al Franken is a man who has done and will do business with a "crook." Ain't that the truth, Al?

In his August 8, 2005 radio monologue (now we know why he sounded so nervous), Franken concluded:

So that's that. If anyone wants to know more about it, we'll talk about it again.

We've been all ears, but Air America has not returned phone calls seeking comment on our reports. Perhaps Franken is saving it up for his new book, scheduled for release in October.

You'll love the title.

Our exposé of Franken, Air America, Sheldon Drobny, and Piquant's lies continues over at The Radio Equalizer. Don't miss it.

Related:

Denver Post critic Joanne Ostrow gets it: "Air America's shame aired."

Update by Michelle, 7:08 am EDT: About two and a half hours after this post was published, the New York Sun published this article by David Lombino. The article includes a fascinating quote from Franken about the Settlement Agreement:

In an interview with the Sun on August 1, Mr. Franken said he did not know anything about the transfers from the Gloria Wise Boys & Girls Club until late the previous month. He said he did not know whether the $875,000 was absorbed by the radio network or not, and he characterized the network's decision to pay back Gloria Wise as a "moral obligation."

Yesterday, Mr. Franken stood by his earlier statement. He said that, on the advice of his lawyer, Gunnar Erickson, he signed the agreement last fall that erased legal claims he had against Messrs. Cohen and Sorensen because they owed him money, but he said he did not see the list of liabilities that included the Gloria Wise transfers.

"I am not an investor, and I didn't see this thing," Mr. Franken, the comedian and best-selling author who hosts Air America's daily show "The O'Franken Factor," said.

That's right, he smoked a joint but didn't inhale signed the document but didn't read it. This is the "the other guys are crooks, I'm just an idiot" defense. As Franken's former colleague Dana Carvey aka Church Lady might say, "How conveeeenient!"

It sure is nice to know that O'Franken is around to blow the whistle on the "lying liars" who don't tell The Truth.

Finally, let's not forget Air America's statement, still on its web site, that "The current owners of Air America Radio have no obligation to Progress Media's business activities." Did anyone at Air America read the Settlement Agreement? Just wondering.

Air America's call-in number is 1-866-303-2270. Listen live here. Tell them what you read here, and let us know if they respond.

Update II: Captain Ed wants to know when the MSM will start giving Franken, a possible candidate for the U.S. Senate, the scrutiny he deserves:

Now we have a presumed candidate for Senator in 2008 who participated in an arguably fraudulent shell game with Lyndon LaRouche supporters in order to stiff creditors, among them a non-profit whose earmarked grant money went into their pockets. Will anyone here at the Minneapolis Star-Tribune or the Saint Paul Pioneer Press find that interesting enough to publish?

Power Line's Scott Johnson is also pressing the local media:

Some day the Minneapolis Star Tribune will take notice of the Air Ameriscam scandal involving Minneapolis's own Al Franken, but apparently not any time soon.

And PostWatch is still searching in vain for Washington Post coverage of Air America's money pit.

Some reader feedback from corporate lawyer Phillip A.:

The Settlement Agreement says that Piquant "assumed certain specific liabilities" from Progress (1.10), but doesn't specifically identify them. The schedule of liabilities (Schedule 15.2.4) is referenced in Sections 15.2.4 and 15.3.4, pursuant to which Cohen and Sorensen represent that those are all of the liabilities that could possibly encumber the AAR assets. This implies, but doesn't guarantee, that Piquant has assumed those liabilities. In fact, we know from Multicultural's lawsuit that Piquant didn't assume that liability. In sections 21.7-9 Piquant indemnifies Cohen and Sorensen against claims arising out of those liabilities (excluding Multicultural's claims). Again, this is not the same as Piquant directly assuming the obligation. In paragraph 87 of Multicultural's claim from May 24, 2005, Multicultural states that Piquant has assumed the Gloria Wise obligation, but it makes this assertion "information and belief" and cites no source.

Despite significant evidence that it did so, a couple of things still lead me to question whether Piquant really assumed the Wise debt under the Asset Purchase Agreement. First, the description of the debt on the schedule refers to money "purportedly advanced to Progress" from Gloria Wise. This sounds to me as if Piquant is trying to preserve the position that no real obligation exists. Second, as you point out, Air America's website still says: "The current owners of Air America Radio have no obligation to Progress Media's business activities." If Piquant assumed the Wise debt under the APA, this is just a bald-faced lie. Piquant apparently is advised by Latham & Watkins, one of the country's premier law firms. I can't believe that L&W would let them post that. But, ultimately, only the Asset Purchase Agreement can provide a definitive answer.

Some reader feedback from lawyer Bill C.:

I'm a lawyer and any of Al's talk about how he didnt read the agreement before he signed it would mean nothing if it were ever before a court. In other words, any statement by Al that he didnt read the agreement before signing or was just given the signature page by his lawyer to sign means nothing and the law would impute to him knowledge of the entire agreement. Every word. For example: New York law: "A party that signs a document is conclusively bound by its terms absent a valid excuse for having failed to read it." Guerra v. Astoria Generating Co., L.P., 8 A.D.3d 617, 779 N.Y.S.2d 563 (2d Dep't 2004). Wisconsin law: "Failure to read a contract before signing it will generally not affect its validity." State Farm Fire & Casualty Co. v. Home Ins. Co., 88 Wis. 2d 124, 129, 276 N.W.2d 349, 351 (Ct. App. 1979); see also Caulfield v. Caulfield, 183 Wis. 2d 83, 93, 515 N.W.2d 278, 283 (Ct. App. 1994) ("y failing to read the contract before signing it, [plaintiff] was negligent as a matter of law and barred from proceeding on her claim that the [defendant] fraudulently induced her to sign the note.")

Previous:

Inside Air America: The Sheldon Drobny Files
Wednesday scandal updates
New York Post: The Money Pit
Inside Air America: The Lizz Winstead case
Fraudulent Conveyance 101
Multicultural Radio says Air America owes it $1.5 million
Inside Air America: An investigative blog report (Part II)
Air Enron: Morning update
Inside Air America: An investigative blog report (Part I)
Air Enron: Al Franken needs help
Air Enron updates
Air Enron: The dam bursts
Air Enron: NYTimes corrects
Air Enron: MSM errs and lags
Air Enron: The NYTimes speaks! (or rather, whispers)
Air Enron: Heads roll, victims shafted
Air Enron: No letting up
Air Enron: Franken speaks again
Air Enron: Elite media blackout contd.
Air Enron: quotes of the day
Air Enron: Spitzer steps in
Air Enron: questions, questions
Air Enron: the blame game
Air Enron: thumb-twiddling MSM
Silence of the race hustlers
Air Enron: Al Franken speaks
Air Deadbeat: the saga continues
The Air America loophole
Air America is scrambling
Air America: Don't blame us
Air America: Stealing from poor kids?!

My link wasn't from her, it's from the NYT. Sorry I made a mistake. I didn't think I saw that quote in there. I must have missed it.

Anyway, since the loan has been paid back in full, I don't get what the point of all this is.

Hagbard Celine said:
My link wasn't from her, it's from the NYT. Sorry I made a mistake. I didn't think I saw that quote in there. I must have missed it.

Anyway, since the loan has been paid back in full, I don't get what the point of all this is.

Face it, you don't know your hole from the ground and you are trying to play the board for fools. We are not, though we certainly don't agree with you, en masse.

You know, with an Administration filled with incompetencies that lies about the reasons for going to war, a liberal pundit lying about a loan that has now been paid-off seems like it's less important than you guys are making it out to be.

The leading conservative pundit, Rush Limbaugh is a drug addict and a bigot. Shall we talk about him too?

Hagbard Celine said:
You know, with an Administration filled with incompetencies that lies about the reasons for going to war, a liberal pundit lying about a loan that has now been paid-off seems like it's less important than you guys are making it out to be.

The leading conservative pundit, Rush Limbaugh is a drug addict and a bigot. Shall we talk about him too?
Whatever does any of this have to do with the topic at hand? Running out of arguments or you are just a tool?

Hagbard Celine said:

BUSTED! UNMASKED! ABORT - I SAY AGAIN - ABORT! SEE DIRECTIVE #1A OF LIBERAL HANDBOOK: WHEN CONFRONTED WITH TRUTH, DILUTE- DEFLECT- MISDIRECT!

THAT IS ALL.

My point is that arguing over this point is moot. Air America paid off the loan, so the fact that a radio dj lied about it doesn't matter at all. It has no bearing on anything. The loan is paid off, so it's over. You guys just want to flame somebody's reputation. That's the whole rightwing agenda.

Franken is just a pundit like Rush Limbaugh. Arguing over his politics and taking him this seriously is like arguing over how seriously we should take the stories on the front of the National Enquirer.

Now you guys have figured out a way to flame me by saying I'm "diluting" the argument when in fact I have presented a perfectly reasonable counter to your argument! You guys are just so eager to flame somebody. You're like a bunch of big gorillas throwing luggage around a room.

You guys are just so eager to flame somebody. You're like a bunch of big gorillas throwing luggage around a room.

LOL hardly. But It really is kind of ridiculous for Franken to be talking about the president being a liar with no proof but rederic when he's ass deep in his own shit........Great he paid back the loan, he was suposed to, but he still lied until he was called out on it.

A radio personality who has the ear of...hundreds... of listeners, has demonstrated that he will lie when he deems it expedient to do so. That has a bearing on EVERYTHING.

Hagbard Celine said:
My point is that arguing over this point is moot. Air America paid off the loan, so the fact that a radio dj lied about it doesn't matter at all. It has no bearing on anything. The loan is paid off, so it's over. You guys just want to flame somebody's reputation. That's the whole rightwing agenda.

Franken is just a pundit like Rush Limbaugh. Arguing over his politics and taking him this seriously is like arguing over how seriously we should take the stories on the front of the National Enquirer.

Now you guys have figured out a way to flame me by saying I'm "diluting" the argument when in fact I have presented a perfectly reasonable counter to your argument! You guys are just so eager to flame somebody. You're like a bunch of big gorillas throwing luggage around a room.

Yep. Lie until you get caught. This is actually consistent with the dem concept of morality. Morality is a tool used by whitey to opress others(stop them from stealing).

Forum List

Back