Al Bores Movie Bombs at Box Office

Mr.Conley said:
Sorry...what are you trying to say? Use your English coherently.

What about the half that didn't vote for them? What about all the rural people in northern Louisianna who voted in a way that screwed us. What about all the jobs and economic desolation that disbanding the city would bring? You want to do this by rendering a person's land and home, generally their primary source of capital via a mortgage, valueless. Every house in NO, from the 20 grand shack to the 7 million dollar mansion will become worthless. What are those people going to do now that you've obliterated all that value and all the money they put into buying that house and slowly paying off the mortgage? Because of you, it's gone, but they've still got to pay the remainder of the mortgage to the bank, but they'll need to get another loan for another house as well. But first they have to find work elsewhere, because their job in the city is gone. Why is it gone though? Because your vaunted do-nothing government failed to deliver on the levees, and then kicked them out of their homes and told them not to come back, but didn't do anything about the fact that you just made these people homeless, jobless, and unable to pay their debts.

So Conley,

How is school, make good grades, what are you majoring in, why not Tulane? Seems you mentioned Boston before, why?

You believe in Al Gore's science flick right? If so why wouldn't you think it is a good idea to get the hell out of New Orleans. Al is claiming that the seas are going to rise 20 feet, that puts most of New Orleans 40-50 feet below the seas. Doesn't that turn on that light bulb above your head, shouldn't you be worried about your parents and your grandmother. How about the 500,000 people that are supposedly coming back to New Orleans. Do you realize how high 50 feet is? Do you know how wide the base of a 50 foot levee would have to be?

Oh and Conley, there's only 1 n in Louisiana, north or south.

The solution is simple......sell the property to Disney, Trump, Steve Wynn and any other developers that want to take a chance on reviving New Orleans into a workable place but don't rebuild housing there unless it is the floating kind like Sausolito, California. Those guys could turn New Orleans into an American Venice with gaming and amusement to support it. That is it's only hope.

sitarro said:
How is school, make good grades, what are you majoring in, why not Tulane? Seems you mentioned Boston before, why?
School is good. I'm on track to graduate magna cum laude with a dual concentration in Economics and East Asian studies. I didn't go to Tulane because I wanted to go to my current school. Tulane was just a safety school for me. Since my school's around Boston, that's why I'm up there.
sitarro said:
You believe in Al Gore's science flick right? If so why wouldn't you think it is a good idea to get the hell out of New Orleans. Al is claiming that the seas are going to rise 20 feet, that puts most of New Orleans 40-50 feet below the seas. Doesn't that turn on that light bulb above your head, shouldn't you be worried about your parents and your grandmother. How about the 500,000 people that are supposedly coming back to New Orleans. Do you realize how high 50 feet is? Do you know how wide the base of a 50 foot levee would have to be?
I haven't seen it. I don't know what he is saying.

While you are correct that most of NO is below sea level, the areas closer to the river and the lake are higher than or only slightly below sea level. We only need to build levees that are high enough for those areas, not levees large enough for the deepest areas. We already have such levees in some spots along the Mississippi. While 70% of the city is below sea level , a pretty significant proportion of that is only a few feet below. In most of those areas, people are raising their houses by 3-10ft depending on how far below they are. That reduces the burden on the levees and will decrease damage in case of a flood.

Okay, I checked online at moviefone. Truth is being shown at one theatre in downtown NO. Appartently the AMC chain is waiting until next week to introduce it at tleast in our area. That puts it on a smaller release N4 will probably be 300-1500. I expect a weekend gross of a few million. It all depends on what the number of theatres is, and I can't find a definite number for that.

Mr.Conley said:
Okay, I checked online at moviefone. Truth is being shown at one theatre in downtown NO. Appartently the AMC chain is waiting until next week to introduce it at tleast in our area. That puts it on a smaller release N4 will probably be 300-1500. I expect a weekend gross of a few million. It all depends on what the number of theatres is, and I can't find a definite number for that.

I guess those theatres showing this flop need a tax write off

Mr.Conley said:
While it is true that the film only made $367,311 on it's first week out. You have to realize that the film was only shown in 4 theatres worldwide. At the theatres where is was open, its average gross per theatre was $91,828, which is actually quite good. Even X-Men 3, which made $122,861,157 at 3,690 theatres on its opening week, only made $33,296 per theatre. By this more accurate comparison, Al Gore wins.

(I got all this information from rottentomatos.com)

Al Gore couldn't win at tick-tack-toe, if he went first.:shocked:

Hey Conley,

Looks like 5 N.O. teenagers saw the film and said "what the hell, we're all gonna die anyway, let's do it Nawlins gangland style!"......:clap: :clap: :clap:

I thumbed through his book. Looked like it was made by a seven year old. Just a bunch of pictures, he shows a pic from the 1930s of a glacier then shows one from today. This is his "proof" that man is the cause of melting of the icecaps around the world. Has anyone tried to inform him that glaciers have been melting ever since the end of the last ice age? That doesn't seem to be a question any of the Gore liberals ever want to answer.

Mr.Conley said:

Everytime they add more theatres the gross per theatre drops

I am waiting to here your spin on how this one

Hobbit said:
You know, everyone burns to death at the end. Oh my, did I ruin it for anybody?

So they didn't drown.... check
So they didn't starve or dehydrate.... check
So they didn't freeze to death.... check
So they didn't get eaten by aliens.... check

So how many ways can a civilization burn to death?
Solar flare?
Gamma burst?
Volcanic eruptions (like the Yellowstone caldera)?

C'mon, everyone play!

Hmmm... it still hasn't gone national. The big factor is how many theatres screen the movie. I saw that AMC wasn't featuring it yet. If they keep it in limited release like they seem to be, then it'll probably make $5-15 million.

I'm going to look into the theatre numbers.

CockySOB said:
So how many ways can a civilization burn to death?
Solar flare?
Gamma burst?
Volcanic eruptions (like the Yellowstone caldera)?

C'mon, everyone play!
Large asteriod/comet smashing into planet.
Genetically engineered supervirus
Rampaging self-replicating nanobots

Mr.Conly said:
Here is the equation I used:
T= Total US Box Office
G= Gross per Theatre G=V*10
N= Number of Theatres. The variables N1, N2, N3, N4 etc. represent N for the number of theatres screening the movie for weeks 1,2,3,4, etc. G*N= Weekend Gross or V*10*N= Weekend Gross
V= Viewers per theatre (V) or (G/10) **assumes $10 ticket price** The variables V1, V2, V3, V4, etc. represent the number of viewers for weeks 1, 2, 3, 4, etc.
P= Percentage number of viewers (V) as compared to the previous week. Determined by taking the number of V from the current week, and dividing that by the V of the previous week. Example:
If you have a per theatre gross of $10,000 with a total viewing audience at the theatre of 1000 and a $10 ticket price. The next week you make $20,000 per theatre, have a viewing audience of 2000 and a ticket price of $10.
1,000*$10=$10,000
2,000*$10=$20,000
To find the % difference of the viewing audience between the two weeks, take the second, later number of viewers, and divide it by the number of viewers during the first week. Then take that number and multiply by 100 for the percent increase or decrease. In this case, the second week's audience was 200% the size of the first week's.
P= (VX/VX-1)*100 **Where X does not equal 1**
Take the V from V(X-1), multiply that by P, the V for Week X divided by the V of Week (X-1), divided by 100 (P/100) to determine VX, the number of viewers for the selected week.
V(X-1)*(P/100)= VX or V(X-1) *[VX/V(X-1)]= VX
Example:
V1*(P/100)= V2 or V(Week 1)*[V(Week 2)/ V(Week 1)] = V(Week 2)
The number after P (P1, P2, P3, P4, etc.) stands for the percent difference between The first and second weeks, second and third weeks, third and fourth weeks, forth and fifth weeks, etc.

Now, the equation:
T=V1*10*N1 + V1*(P1/100)*10*N2 + V2*(P2/100)*10*N3 + V3*(P3/100)*10*N4 + V4*(P4/100)*N5*10...

Of course, if we are to derive each V from the previous V, we need to know the original V. Since we already know the G of the first weekend (G1), and G= V*10, we can divide the G1 by 10 to determine the V1
G1/10=V1
or we can take the total gross for the opening weekend (V1*10*N1) set equal to the actual gross of $367,311, plug in the know value of N1, and solve for V1.
V1= $367,311/($10*4)

Each group of VX*(PX/100)*10*NX= The gross of the movie for that week (G*N). Each group is added together to determine total box office (T). Since we already know the G*N for the first two weeks, we can set the first two VX*(P/100)*10*NX equal to that weekend gross.
So we know that:
V1*10*N1= $367,311
V1*(P/100)*10*N2= $1,331,508

Now it's just about inserting likely numbers into the variables (N and P).
Insert whatever percentage you think the movies audience size will increase or decrease into P.
Insert whatever the number of theatres the movie will be screened at that week. We know that for the first week it was shown at 4 theatres and at 77 for the next week. So N1 is 4, N2 is 77, and N3 is 122. N4 is when the movie goes nationwide, so it will probably be shown at between 1,500 and 3,000 theatres for those N.
Wow, they aren't doing a full national release. That changes everything. See that last bit there in my post. Revise that to the actual N value of 404 or 514. Basically it's taking my original N value and dividing by 4, 5, or 6 to fit the actual N, and not the posited N we were all working with. If the movie goes above $10 million, then my equation is correct except for the N value, which we overstated. So my equation worked. The N value was overstated, but once we account for that error, the movie falls exactly within my predicted range. It's not unquestioning victory, but the equation speaks for itself. The movie is going to make money, I'm right.

Forum List

Back