Airport body scanners violate Islamic law, Muslims say

Catbert

Sep 16, 2009
Feb. 11, 2010
By Niraj Warikoo
Free Press Staff Writer

Muslim-American groups are supporting a “fatwa” – a religious ruling – that forbids Muslims from going through the scanners at airports.

The Fiqh Council of North America – a body of Islamic scholars that includes some from Michigan – issued a fatwa this week that says going through the airport scanners would violate Islamic rules on modesty.

“It is a violation of clear Islamic teachings that men or women be seen naked by other men and women,” reads the fatwa issued Tuesday. “Islam highly emphasizes haya (modesty) and considers it part of faith. The Quran has commanded the believers, both men and women, to cover their private parts.”

The decision could complicate efforts to intensify screening of potential terrorists who are Muslim. After the Christmas Day bombing attempt in Detroit by a Muslim suspect from Nigeria, some have called for the use of body scanners at airports to find explosives and other dangerous materials carried by terrorists. Some airports are now in the process of buying and using the body scanners, which show in graphic detail the outlines of a person’s body.

But Muslim groups say the scanners go against their religion. One option offered to passengers who don’t want to use the scanners would be a pat down by a security guard. The Muslim groups are urging members to undergo those instead.

http://www.freep.com/article/20100211/NE....law-Muslims-say

Unless something has changed, U.S. airports are governed by U.S. law NOT Islamic law. If people don't like it, they should find a different way to travel.

The machines at issue render a detailed outline of the scanned individual's body that the Transportation Security Administration says is immediately destroyed.

The TSA says going through the scanners is "optional to all passengers." Individuals can refuse the screening, the newspaper reports, and instead be patted down by a TSA guard.

The employment of full-body scanners has come under fire from civil libertarians, who say the devices are analogous to a strip search.
Islamic scholars issue fatwa forbidding Muslim-Americans from using full-body airport scanners

Unless something has changed, U.S. airports are governed by U.S. law NOT Islamic law. If people don't like it, they should find a different way to travel.

That doesnt mean muslims dont want to change that.

Islam Question and Answer - Judging by that which Allaah has revealed
Islam Question and Answer - Should he turn to the human rights organizations to get his rights?
Islam Question and Answer - The kufr of one who rules according to other than what Allaah revealed

Allaah has commanded us to refer matters to His judgement and to establish Sharee‘ah, and He has forbidden us to rule with anything else, as is clear from a number of aayaat in the Qur’aan, such as the aayaat in Soorat al-Maa’idah (5) which discuss ruling according to what Allaah has revealed, and mention the following topics:

The command to rule according to what Allaah has revealed: “And so judge between them by what Allaah has revealed . . .” [aayah 49]

Warning against ruling by other than what Allaah has revealed: “. . . and follow not their vain desires . . .” [aayah 49]

Warning against compromising on any detail of Sharee‘ah, no matter how small: “. . . but beware of them lest they turn you far away from some of that which Allaah has sent down to you . . .” [aayah 49]

• Thanks
Reactions: Vel
I am sure body scanners is mentioned in the Koran.

I have been wondering why christian fundamentalists have not taken this tack so far?

I'd rather the scan than the pat down...Seems less invasive to me.

If the scanners don't fit................................................................

Walk the fuck home.

Fine, they can walk.

Healthy, good exercise, and if it keeps the nut jobs off the planes, we should install them tomorrow.

BTW, what is the Koranic teaching on lap dances?

What the Hell else do you think the 72 virgins are for? Cooking and cleaning?

As for walking, I personaly think our money is better spent on developing technology to make floating bridges that can go accross oceans. That'd be a crazy ass road trip.

Feb. 11, 2010
By Niraj Warikoo
Free Press Staff Writer

Muslim-American groups are supporting a “fatwa” – a religious ruling – that forbids Muslims from going through the scanners at airports.

The Fiqh Council of North America – a body of Islamic scholars that includes some from Michigan – issued a fatwa this week that says going through the airport scanners would violate Islamic rules on modesty.

“It is a violation of clear Islamic teachings that men or women be seen naked by other men and women,” reads the fatwa issued Tuesday. “Islam highly emphasizes haya (modesty) and considers it part of faith. The Quran has commanded the believers, both men and women, to cover their private parts.”

The decision could complicate efforts to intensify screening of potential terrorists who are Muslim. After the Christmas Day bombing attempt in Detroit by a Muslim suspect from Nigeria, some have called for the use of body scanners at airports to find explosives and other dangerous materials carried by terrorists. Some airports are now in the process of buying and using the body scanners, which show in graphic detail the outlines of a person’s body.

But Muslim groups say the scanners go against their religion. One option offered to passengers who don’t want to use the scanners would be a pat down by a security guard. The Muslim groups are urging members to undergo those instead.

http://www.freep.com/article/20100211/NE....law-Muslims-say

Sounds like someone put them up to this EXCUSE,in my opinion, in hope to further the Jihad and make it easier to carry out their evil BS. I wonder why they didn't bring this up immediately since they've known about airport x-ray scanners for a couple years at least. For those that supposedly know the words of the Quran they should have reacted a day after it was demonstrated on paper or in the media.

Are they spinning the words of the Quran like others spin, oh I mean Interpret, the words of their holy scriptures. Let 5 people interpret anything written and you'll get at least 3 or 4 different conclusions. If no spin, like I said, why so long to react?

Interpret, another word that can be used for masking the 'spin factor' when reporting or concluding a statement or story. That's MY interpretation. :lol:

It's obvious again they must be trying to use the political correctness BS against us since those in Washington seem so eager to not offend anyone, tough crap, like Mr. Fintah says "Let'em Walk"

Why would the so called peaceful Muslim groups be in favor of this? Would they be content with seeing their own peaceful non extremest followers blown out of the sky or scattered around the airports like hamburger?

do muslims not have xrays and cat scans....etc? many modern medical devices render ya pretty much nude to the eye...will they not have females scanners for female passengers? i am not sure...does it really matter....

this is not a compromising issue....either you do the required security screenings or you dont fly...

sadly this will simply be another restriction on the women...the men will continue to fly and justifiy it somehow...

i dont like any of it....not due to modesty or religious beliefs but due to just not liking it...i dont like my bags searched...i dont like the pat down or the wand...(i think the wands are not sensitive enough)
i dont like taking off my shoes...i dont like putting my stuff in that x ray thing....i always get in trouble cause i dont take off my hoodie...(you got to toss hoodies and jackets in the x ray thing too) then they take my 5 or 6 lighters....that is always funny...i keep pulling them out of different pockets...but i do it all as quickly and quietly as i can...i dont think that is being a sheep...i think that is putting aside my ego for the common good....

You know, I'm getting pretty sick and tired of hearing what muslims object to because of their religion. If they want to continue to live by medieval standards that's up to them, but when they object to technology designed to protect the masses, they can go forth and multiply. If they don't submit to scanning, they don't fly. Simple as that, and I for one will feel a lot safer when I fly next month if I don't see any muslims on board.

When are these people going to realize that they need to detonate their explosives while waiting in line to go through the metal detector...not after getting through the metal detector?

Then again, maybe its the thrill of making it through without getting caught that they enjoy.

Forum List

Back