Affordable Care Act

Do you have employer provided health care?

• Yes

Votes: 8 42.1%
  • No

Votes: 11 57.9%

• Total voters
Employers shouldn't have anything to do with health care.

Expanding the current Medicare/Medicare Supplement/Medicare Advantage program to all would take a massive monkey off the back of American business.

How big of monkey? I am thinking you are saying, cost. Say tomorrow all employer based insurance went away and everyone had to buy insurance on the marketplace, what do you think companies would do other then jump for joy? They wouldn't give the employees a dime, they would keep the savings for themselves.

Don't believe me? Companies are dropping employees from promised health care everyday due to retirement. Unions are even agreeing. When they do this does the company give one cent to help defray the cost they had previously promised to pay? Hell not they keep the savings all for themselves.

That all said, I still think it would be better if everyone went on the marketplace and cost was evened out.
Yes, taking the monkey off the back of American business would be a savings of both premiums and administrative dollars. That's a positive in an increasingly competitive global business environment.
Personally, I think it will be the business community that drives us to a single payer healthcare system. We know we only get things in this country if Big Corp wants them and single payer is great for businesses.
No doubt they're afraid that it would be true single-payer, and that's understandable.

Plus, all the above would really mess with their infrastructure, and that's understandable too. When Medicare Advantage came out, the participating insurers were given help with that, so that might be an option.

The freaking system is up, running, and works. This whole issue is pretty frustrating.

You're speaking of insurance companies being opposed to single payer, but the REST of the business community will be the driver of the US towards a single payer-like system.

They will point to Canada, Mexico, Japan, etc and say "why should I do business in the US where I have to pay more for employee health care"?

Employers shouldn't have anything to do with health care.

Expanding the current Medicare/Medicare Supplement/Medicare Advantage program to all would take a massive monkey off the back of American business.

How big of monkey? I am thinking you are saying, cost. Say tomorrow all employer based insurance went away and everyone had to buy insurance on the marketplace, what do you think companies would do other then jump for joy? They wouldn't give the employees a dime, they would keep the savings for themselves.

Don't believe me? Companies are dropping employees from promised health care everyday due to retirement. Unions are even agreeing. When they do this does the company give one cent to help defray the cost they had previously promised to pay? Hell not they keep the savings all for themselves.

That all said, I still think it would be better if everyone went on the marketplace and cost was evened out.
Yes, taking the monkey off the back of American business would be a savings of both premiums and administrative dollars. That's a positive in an increasingly competitive global business environment.
Personally, I think it will be the business community that drives us to a single payer healthcare system. We know we only get things in this country if Big Corp wants them and single payer is great for businesses.
No doubt they're afraid that it would be true single-payer, and that's understandable.

Plus, all the above would really mess with their infrastructure, and that's understandable too. When Medicare Advantage came out, the participating insurers were given help with that, so that might be an option.

The freaking system is up, running, and works. This whole issue is pretty frustrating.

You're speaking of insurance companies being opposed to single payer, but the REST of the business community will be the driver of the US towards a single payer-like system.

They will point to Canada, Mexico, Japan, etc and say "why should I do business in the US where I have to pay more for employee health care"?
Yeah, I have no doubt about that. The monkey off their backs in this system would be the size of an ape.

The insurance company lobbyists have been working overtime for a few years now. But they might feel differently if a true Medicare/Supplement/Advantage system were dangled in front of them.

Yup and everyone will be paying more for their benefits.

My benefit costs went up by 30% this year because of the ACA. Wonder what is on the horizon for next year?

And you can show how it was as a direct result of the ACA? Had your benefit costs ever gone up before?

My benefits have gone up but not by 30% and the HR department is who advised all of us why costs were going up.

The only winners in the ACA are those the rest of us will be subsidizing.

Due to life choices and circumstances we are losing our employer provided health care. So I went to the healthcare.gov web site to look for plans. What I found is this.

1. The web site is extremely easy to use.

2. The cost, while high, is not nearly as expensive as it was when I looked into it when ACA became the law of the land.

3. Big penalty for making money and not having employer provided coverage.

Here is an example of what I found for 1 person first making 50,000 the second making 25000. Which seems to me to be affordable considering that car insurance might cost as much.

What I don't like is that the cost should be the same for everyone since it is required by the government to purchase. In other words make it a tax deduction, if it is not already.

What I am going to call about is if I can sign up the wife for one plan, using her income. And one plan for me using mine. I don't think this is the case.

Not cheap, but not as expensive as I thought and anyone should be able to navigate the site.

Still, employer sponsored health care is far cheaper and better.

View attachment 47568

View attachment 47569

those are not a very good plans

Due to life choices and circumstances we are losing our employer provided health care. So I went to the healthcare.gov web site to look for plans. What I found is this.

2. The cost, while high, is not nearly as expensive as it was when I looked into it when ACA became the law of the land.

Here is an example of what I found for 1 person first making 50,000 the second making 25000. Which seems to me to be affordable considering that car insurance might cost as much.

What I don't like is that the cost should be the same for everyone since it is required by the government to purchase. In other words make it a tax deduction, if it is not already.

What I am going to call about is if I can sign up the wife for one plan, using her income. And one plan for me using mine. I don't think this is the case.

Not cheap, but not as expensive as I thought and anyone should be able to navigate the site.

View attachment 47568

View attachment 47569

I picked middle of the road, want better, pay more.

Yup and everyone will be paying more for their benefits.

My benefit costs went up by 30% this year because of the ACA. Wonder what is on the horizon for next year?

And you can show how it was as a direct result of the ACA? Had your benefit costs ever gone up before?

My benefits have gone up but not by 30% and the HR department is who advised all of us why costs were going up.

The only winners in the ACA are those the rest of us will be subsidizing.

So your HR department TOLD you that it was because of the ACA...but you don't know if that's actually true. A lot gets blamed on the ACA that is the fault of the same bad actors every time...the insurance companies.

so can anyone Explain what's so AFFORDABLE about it and how about being FORCED by this Obama administration into having to PURCHASE it or be FINDED?

when was that ever the JOB of your Federal Government? Are we now Subjects of this Federal Government? a Free people to CHOOSE our lives was nice while it lasted?

View attachment 47568

View attachment 47569

indeed

just doesnt appear very affordable

Reduce your military spending to say the average of the next 5 top spenders, and everyone could probably get free health care.

Non sequitur. There is no "free".
Free to the user, just go to Canada. Other countries as well.

No, its not free to the user either. They pay more than double the taxes we do. Funny how you think not having a few hundred dollar a month bill, in exchange for 40% of your income in taxes, is "free".

View attachment 47568

View attachment 47569

Back in the mid 2000s, I got a $2,000 deductible policy for only $67 per month. That was an affordable policy. Thanks to Obama care, those policies are illegal, and gone.

View attachment 47568

View attachment 47569

Back in the mid 2000s, I got a $2,000 deductible policy for only $67 per month. That was an affordable policy. Thanks to Obama care, those policies are illegal, and gone.

Considering inflation I bet the price for YOU alone is not that much higher.

View attachment 47568

View attachment 47569

Don't forget....it hasn't been fully implemented yet, and we still have Doctors......wait till it kicks in and it becomes cheaper for businesses to drop their health coverage, and Doctors start leaving the field, retiring or people just don't become Doctors.........

a copy and paste used by islamonaziette penny >>>>
“Jewish villages were built in the place of Arab villages. You do not even know the names of these Arab villages, and I do not blame you because geography books no longer exist, not only do the books not exist, the Arab villages are not there either…There is not one single place built in this country that did not have a former Arab Population.”– Moshe Dayan, from Ha’aretz, April 4, 1969

the above is a true quotation----it does fail to address the fact
that there is not a single shariah shit hole in the world that did
not have a jewish population prior to the invasion and genocide
thereof by muslims (arab muslims of course---AND non-arab
muslims-----the jewish villages and synagogues are gone---
in many cases buildings including houses---simply confiscated---
cemetaries over built etc-----

View attachment 47568

View attachment 47569

Considering inflation I bet the price for YOU alone is not that much higher.

It is much higher now. Massively higher. I'm considering going without insurance.

what's so great about a $5000 deductible? I remember when I was married our insurance was $2500 deductible. So basically you're now paying for everything OUT of pocket if you plan on reaching $5000 deductible.

and you could have done that without BEING FORCE to purchase insurance by your Federal Government

View attachment 47568

View attachment 47569

67 dollars in 2000 is about 98 in 2015.

Single 20,000
upload_2015-8-17_10-27-42.png

Single 27 making 50,000
upload_2015-8-17_10-24-1.png

Last edited:
what's so great about a $5000 deductible? I remember when I was married our insurance was $2500 deductible. So basically you're now paying for everything OUT of pocket if you plan on reaching $5000 deductible.

If I read the information right, you pay the co-pays until you reach the deductible then there are no co-pay. Is that correct?

View attachment 47568

View attachment 47569

Don't forget....it hasn't been fully implemented yet, and we still have Doctors......wait till it kicks in and it becomes cheaper for businesses to drop their health coverage, and Doctors start leaving the field, retiring or people just don't become Doctors.........

I am not sure why, with the way it is set up, that doctors will be leaving. One thing might be the medicaid expansion. But for those who are just buying insurance it seems to me to a be a windfall for the insurance companies and doctors. More people with insurance the more business for the doctors.

Forum List

Back