Affordable Care Act

Do you have employer provided health care?

• Yes

Votes: 8 42.1%
  • No

Votes: 11 57.9%

• Total voters

Freewill

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2011
Due to life choices and circumstances we are losing our employer provided health care. So I went to the healthcare.gov web site to look for plans. What I found is this.

1. The web site is extremely easy to use.

2. The cost, while high, is not nearly as expensive as it was when I looked into it when ACA became the law of the land.

3. Big penalty for making money and not having employer provided coverage.

Here is an example of what I found for 1 person first making 50,000 the second making 25000. Which seems to me to be affordable considering that car insurance might cost as much.

What I don't like is that the cost should be the same for everyone since it is required by the government to purchase. In other words make it a tax deduction, if it is not already.

What I am going to call about is if I can sign up the wife for one plan, using her income. And one plan for me using mine. I don't think this is the case.

Not cheap, but not as expensive as I thought and anyone should be able to navigate the site.

Still, employer sponsored health care is far cheaper and better.

upload_2015-8-17_7-28-47.png

upload_2015-8-17_7-30-6.png

Reduce your military spending to say the average of the next 5 top spenders, and everyone could probably get free health care.

Reduce your military spending to say the average of the next 5 top spenders, and everyone could probably get free health care.

Nothing is free. Try and do that and the expense will just go up. Look at it like a pie, cut one piece a little smaller and the other pieces will just get bigger.

Nothing is free. Try and do that and the expense will just go up. Look at it like a pie, cut one piece a little smaller and the other pieces will just get bigger.
Ex: Canada has practically no military and can afford free health care for everyone.

Ex: Canada has practically no military and can afford free health care for everyone.

Define free. Who actually pays for it and how?

I have employer provided healthcare.
Problem is that it's the Bronze plan.

$4000 deductible, no doctor visit copay and, since I've only met about $1500, I had to cancel a back doctor and MRI appointment for today because I don't have $500 up front.

So that whole, "People won't be using ER for care" bullshit is just that.
I'll wind up going to ER, complaining of pain and numbness in my left arm. They'll think heart attack and admit me and I'll get my MRI
:thup:

$4000 deductible, no doctor visit copay and, since I've only met about $1500, I had to cancel a back doctor and MRI appointment for today because I don't have $500 up front.

I'll wind up going to ER, complaining of pain and numbness in my left arm. They'll think heart attack and admit me and I'll get my MRI

Hopefully your Emergency Room visit co-pay isn't out of sight. Which it might be with a bronze plan.

last year i met the deduct out of the gate.....and got in debt over it...this year i have paid about 6 k....and will pay a few k more before the deduct is met...that is the big draw back....other than that ....its blue cross and blue shield...doctors take it without any problems....my son has insure thru his job and many doctors in this area do not take that kind.....

Hopefully your Emergency Room visit co-pay isn't out of sight. Which it might be with a bronze plan.
No copay for anything.
Everything goes to deductible

Due to life choices and circumstances we are losing our employer provided health care. So I went to the healthcare.gov web site to look for plans. What I found is this.

2. The cost, while high, is not nearly as expensive as it was when I looked into it when ACA became the law of the land.

Here is an example of what I found for 1 person first making 50,000 the second making 25000. Which seems to me to be affordable considering that car insurance might cost as much.

What I don't like is that the cost should be the same for everyone since it is required by the government to purchase. In other words make it a tax deduction, if it is not already.

What I am going to call about is if I can sign up the wife for one plan, using her income. And one plan for me using mine. I don't think this is the case.

Not cheap, but not as expensive as I thought and anyone should be able to navigate the site.

View attachment 47568

View attachment 47569

Employer sponsored health care seems cheaper to you because your employer is paying for most of it with money that he might otherwise be willing to pay directly to you.

If you are like most people with employer sponsored health care coverage, you are only paying for about 1/3 of it out of your pocket.

Triple your current premium and see if it is still cheaper.

View attachment 47568

View attachment 47569

Employer sponsored health care seems cheaper to you because your employer is paying for most of it with money that he might otherwise be willing to pay directly to you.

If you are like most people with employer sponsored health care coverage, you are only paying for about 1/3 of it out of your pocket.

Of course the cost is the same a person is just picking up the employer share. Which isn't really true either because being able to buy insurance in a group is still cheaper then by person.

Now, I say cheaper because if you don't take the insurance they don't give you anything in return, usually. And if they do it is only a small portion of what they pay per person. In other words the money that the company spends is transparent to the employee. The company is actually negotiating a price for the employee. Medicare is the same way, the price has already been negotiated.

Yup and everyone will be paying more for their benefits.

My benefit costs went up by 30% this year because of the ACA. Wonder what is on the horizon for next year?

View attachment 47568

View attachment 47569

to answer your question, tripling our current premium is more expensive. But then again it might be apples and oranges as to what is deductible and what is not.

Forum List

Back