Does the Affordable Care Act penalize prudent behavior?

Supposn

Gold Member
Jul 26, 2009

When searching for something else, I encountered this thread posted many years ago within another internet forum. It's no less applicable today.

I just saw an article entitled "Does the Affordable Care Act Penalize Prudent Behavior". I don’t believe I’ll bother to read it.

When my father was alive, I advised he not save for great medical expenses and not hasten my mother receiving death benefits until his union provides more generous death benefits. His union was then, (and has remained) comparatively poor and necessarily frugal. My father did heed my first, but unfortunately, he failed to heed my second suggestion.

I explained to my father, (even then), his income or the incomes of other more financially favored wage earners were not sufficient to finance the necessary expenses to fund any serious illnesses that they may encounter.

I’m pleased that my father learned not to save for medical emergencies or other great financial catastrophes; our family all shared whatever joy we had throughout my parents' lives.

Respectfully, Supposn

The Affordable Care Act took the equivalent of two weeks of take-home pay extra from my pay but no increase in benefits.
The AFL-CIO folks sent us all a letter telling us they were fighting against it.

When searching for something else, I encountered this thread posted many years ago within another internet forum. It's no less applicable today.

I just saw an article entitled "Does the Affordable Care Act Penalize Prudent Behavior". I don’t believe I’ll bother to read it.

When my father was alive, I advised he not save for great medical expenses and not hasten my mother receiving death benefits until his union provides more generous death benefits. His union was then, (and has remained) comparatively poor and necessarily frugal. My father did heed my first, but unfortunately, he failed to heed my second suggestion.

I explained to my father, (even then), his income or the incomes of other more financially favored wage earners were not sufficient to finance the necessary expenses to fund any serious illnesses that they may encounter.

I’m pleased that my father learned not to save for medical emergencies or other great financial catastrophes; our family all shared whatever joy we had throughout my parents' lives.

Respectfully, Supposn
doesn't all insurance penalize prudent behavior? a safe driver may never collect on the thousands he sent to geico.

i like the economic analyses though. no one who must go to work in order to pay premiums, deductibles and co pays can afford to get sick.

Forum List

Back