Addressed to people who are not racists

BDBoop

Platinum Member
Jul 20, 2011
Don't harsh my zen, Jen!
We have several here on the board. I am not talking to you.

I would like to ask people who are not racists if they have ever had friends or family who were racists and if so, how did you handle that relationship. Because I don't know how. I find it just as difficult here as in real life to tolerate the ignorance and ugliness being spewed by such people.

I have a cousin who is no longer speaking to me (good riddance) because I told him I couldn't stand the ugliness anymore. It's like he doesn't know how to even shut it off, discuss anything else - he's all about the hate. And frankly, I don't get it. He is not 'all that,' that he should be denigrating 'those people' all the damn time.

Plus, it's almost like he's using it as a weapon, trying to gouge people into reacting, so he can start up again. My aunt and uncle are bewildered, they don't know where all this shit is coming from. He was raised better than that. I don't know much about M.S., but I doubt that it's affecting his brain to this degree.

Blah.

Anyway. Anybody else dealing with what I'm up against?

My brother in law is black, and one of the biggest racists I've ever met. When his daughters were in high school, he wouldn't let them date whites. I'm thrilled now that one of them is married to a white man. Funny thing is my father was racist. My parents split up when my sister married her husband. It caused a major rift in the family which eventually was sealed and my parents remarried each other. My brother in law, however, continued to get worse and worse. You wouldn't believe the horrible stuff he said about my father in my mother's house less than a week after my father was buried, and in front of my children. Another major rift. Funny, but my sister and her husband refused to speak to the family until my mother was on her deathbed and suddenly, they were chummy again. I know they just wanted money. After mom died, they insisted on selling her house and getting their share when the rest of us wanted to keep it and use it for vacations, etc. Being as times were bad, both my husband and my other sister's husband were out of work, we couldn't afford to buy them out and had to sell. We got a lot less than we would have if we'd hung on to it for awhile. Sadly, the whole family seems to have been ripped apart now without my parents to hold us together.

My grandma says some pretty racist stuff sometimes. But she's half crazy at this point. My family just ignores it. She grew up in a different era and in extreme poverty so she doesn't know any better. But I've also never seen her treat anyone as anything less than equal.

I also knew this total lunatic during college who drove a shitty old truck and flew a confederate flag out the back of it. His group of friends were super racist but I had to be friends with them because of work. I usually just ignored it. Anyways last I heard he was jobless and heavy into drugs.

My Grandmother was racist. I just ignored her it seldom came up.

My Dad was racist but he could learn to like individuals and then they were somehow alright.

My brother is racist. I just ignore it, it seldom comes up.

I tried very hard to let my children learn who they liked and did not like, and I never spouted racist comments or themes around them. They both grew up accepting of people not race. They judge individuals not races.

• Banned
My brother in law is black, and one of the biggest racists I've ever met. When his daughters were in high school, he wouldn't let them date whites. I'm thrilled now that one of them is married to a white man. Funny thing is my father was racist. My parents split up when my sister married her husband. It caused a major rift in the family which eventually was sealed and my parents remarried each other. My brother in law, however, continued to get worse and worse. You wouldn't believe the horrible stuff he said about my father in my mother's house less than a week after my father was buried, and in front of my children. Another major rift. Funny, but my sister and her husband refused to speak to the family until my mother was on her deathbed and suddenly, they were chummy again. I know they just wanted money. After mom died, they insisted on selling her house and getting their share when the rest of us wanted to keep it and use it for vacations, etc. Being as times were bad, both my husband and my other sister's husband were out of work, we couldn't afford to buy them out and had to sell. We got a lot less than we would have if we'd hung on to it for awhile. Sadly, the whole family seems to have been ripped apart now without my parents to hold us together.

When he said those things, did you hold your tongue? I mean, I did. For the longest time. But he seemed to take my silence as agreement, and things just got uglier and uglier. :(

• Banned
My grandma says some pretty racist stuff sometimes. But she's half crazy at this point. My family just ignores it. She grew up in a different era and in extreme poverty so she doesn't know any better. But I've also never seen her treat anyone as anything less than equal.

I also knew this total lunatic during college who drove a shitty old truck and flew a confederate flag out the back of it. His group of friends were super racist but I had to be friends with them because of work. I usually just ignored it. Anyways last I heard he was jobless and heavy into drugs.

If it were a generation or two above me - fine. I get it. Different time, and etc. but I've got 15 years on him, so no. I don't understand.

We have several here on the board. I am not talking to you.

I would like to ask people who are not racists if they have ever had friends or family who were racists and if so, how did you handle that relationship. Because I don't know how. I find it just as difficult here as in real life to tolerate the ignorance and ugliness being spewed by such people.

I have a cousin who is no longer speaking to me (good riddance) because I told him I couldn't stand the ugliness anymore. It's like he doesn't know how to even shut it off, discuss anything else - he's all about the hate. And frankly, I don't get it. He is not 'all that,' that he should be denigrating 'those people' all the damn time.

Plus, it's almost like he's using it as a weapon, trying to gouge people into reacting, so he can start up again. My aunt and uncle are bewildered, they don't know where all this shit is coming from. He was raised better than that. I don't know much about M.S., but I doubt that it's affecting his brain to this degree.

Blah.

Anyway. Anybody else dealing with what I'm up against?

I have never dealt with a racist family member, but I did deal with a homophobe. A religious homophobe. To this day (over 20 years later) we still have not spoken. I cant deal with him especially considering we have a couple gay family members.

Over the years I have watched many of my liberal Jewish family members become more and more "racist"

• Banned

My Dad was racist but he could learn to like individuals and then they were somehow alright.

I tried very hard to let my children learn who they liked and did not like, and I never spouted racist comments or themes around them. They both grew up accepting of people not race. They judge individuals not races.

My parents said, "We don't care if he's green, as long as he treats you right."

I asked my mom about that as an adult and she laughed and said "Oh, we didn't mean it! We just didn't want you growing up with the preconceptions we had."

I dont like you but I have to respect this post. Good on you.

My dad who was a big liberal, taught in the inner city and after he retired he realized he had wasted his time

My stepkids became racist in High school

They are 1/2 white and PR

The white kids get along with them, the other PRs treat them like shit b/c they don't act like whores and hoods.

Aside from that, no other issues.

I deal with it by letting the losers go. Removing myself from their lives. Their presence. Phone calls. Any contact whatsoever.

My own son I don't speak to, nor have spoken to for over 15 years. Why? Because he's an asshole, that's why. I raised him right. Taught him to be a decent human being. He wanted to be a cop. He was a good kid. Until he met his wife in high school. HER family was racist. White, just as my son is white. Yet once he got with HER, he refused to speak to or have anything to do with lifelong black friends. Or mexicans. Or Jewish people. Or asians. Or even his step brothers because HER parents didn't like ME for being friends with "riff raff" in their opinion.

Fuck 'em. All of them.

Tank is not racist. He just pretends to be. It's his make believe online personna.

I deal with it by letting the losers go. Removing myself from their lives. Their presence. Phone calls. Any contact whatsoever.

My own son I don't speak to, nor have spoken to for over 15 years. Why? Because he's an asshole, that's why. I raised him right. Taught him to be a decent human being. He wanted to be a cop. He was a good kid. Until he met his wife in high school. HER family was racist. White, just as my son is white. Yet once he got with HER, he refused to speak to or have anything to do with lifelong black friends. Or mexicans. Or Jewish people. Or asians. Or even his step brothers because HER parents didn't like ME for being friends with "riff raff" in their opinion.

Fuck 'em. All of them.

Right on my sistah. :doubt:

Both my children and grandkids have been taught that racism is wrong.

And not to judge people by the color of their skin.

And to always say away from gays and lesbians.

Because many of them are pedophiles and molest children. . :doubt:

• Thanks
Reactions: NLT

Forum List

Back