Addiction?

Gracie

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2013
Lost
I take 1/2 and sometimes a whole vicodin per night and sometimes none. I never take more than one within a 24 hour period because I usually just pop an advil for my joints. The only time I take vicodin is when I am flared up for a week. Then I might wind up taking half of one along with one advil.

Do you consider that an addiction and my needing pain management? Personally, I don't think so. According to my doctor, I am becoming addicted. So I fired him and found a new doctor.

Taking opiates daily for any significant amount of time will cause a physical dependence.

"Addiction" is more of a mental thing than a physical thing, and not really possible to diagnose over the internet.

I take 1/2 and sometimes a whole vicodin per night and sometimes none. I never take more than one within a 24 hour period because I usually just pop an advil for my joints. The only time I take vicodin is when I am flared up for a week. Then I might wind up taking half of one along with one advil.

Do you consider that an addiction and my needing pain management? Personally, I don't think so. According to my doctor, I am becoming addicted. So I fired him and found a new doctor.

are you being truthful to yourself on the amount you are taking

is the medication causing problems in other areas of your life

do you personally wonder if you have a habit

is the amount that you are taking more then prescribed

have you had a second opinion

just some things to consider

doctor shopping is a symptom

the new doctor will have access to your past medication orders

however it sounds like your use is limited

Well, if you're asking the question, then obviously there is a part of you that thinks there may be a problem, which is not only why you asked yourself, but also why you're asking the boards.

Not more than one per day? Well................maybe you've got it managed, but the fact you're questioning yourself begs the question of "what if I'm an addict"?

Dunno if you are or not, but quick question...................do you live in an area of the country that allows herbal solutions?

Smoking cannabis could help out a lot. I have a friend of mine who has lots of joint and back pain, and it seems to help them out.

Maybe something for anger management might help...:popcorn:

Sounds like you're concerned with possible addiction, so no, you're doing fine..then again I'm no doctor.

Taking opiates daily for any significant amount of time will cause a physical dependence.

"Addiction" is more of a mental thing than a physical thing, and not really possible to diagnose over the internet.

Actually..................addiction is more of a physical response than it is a mental one.

Ever hear of the DT's? Its a physical response that alcoholics have when they are no longer allowed to drink. Not only can it make them very ill, but it can also cause death, which is why sometimes alcoholics are allowed to be weaned off it.

Never heard of a mental addiction (like shopping, gambling or co-dependency) ever causing someone to almost die.

Actually..................addiction is more of a physical response than it is a mental one.

Ever hear of the DT's? Its a physical response that alcoholics have when they are no longer allowed to drink. Not only can it make them very ill, but it can also cause death, which is why sometimes alcoholics are allowed to be weaned off it.

Never heard of a mental addiction (like shopping, gambling or co-dependency) ever causing someone to almost die.

I was addicted to sex in my younger years, it damn near killed me, several times..:lol:

I was addicted to sex in my younger years, it damn near killed me, several times..:lol:

Being addicted to sex is like being addicted to running. If you keep yourself in good shape, you should be okay.

Crack cocaine has no physical withdrawal symptoms, yet there's no doubt it's an "addiction".

I'm very familiar with the DTs, as well as other forms of physical withdrawal - I spent 2 or 3 years as a certified addictions counselor at an in-patient detox facility - but that physical withdrawal exists in addition to the mental addiction.

The physical detox part of getting clean is the easiest part.

Crack cocaine has no physical withdrawal symptoms, yet there's no doubt it's an "addiction".

I'm very familiar with the DTs, as well as other forms of physical withdrawal - I spent 2 or 3 years as a certified addictions counselor at an in-patient detox facility - but that physical withdrawal exists in addition to the mental addiction.

Link to back up the part of crack cocaine having no physical withdrawal symptoms. From everything I ever heard of or studied, it does have physical withdrawal symptoms.

I was a Navy Drug and Alcohol Program Advisor (DAPA) for 8 years from 1994 until 2002.

Link to back up the part of crack cocaine having no physical withdrawal symptoms. From everything I ever heard of or studied, it does have physical withdrawal symptoms.

I was a Navy Drug and Alcohol Program Advisor (DAPA) for 8 years from 1994 until 2002.

I phrased that incorrectly - I apologize.

There are immediate physical withdrawal symptoms - generally known as the "crash".

That "crash" is due to the immediate effects of the drug, (similar to the "crash" you feel in the afternoon if you drink a redbull in the morning) not by your body creating a chemical dependance on cocaine - unlike narcotics (and cigarettes.)

Alcohol also doesn't cause a chemical dependance - but a sudden detox will impact the nervous system, causing DTs and, occasionally death due to seizures.

As an example - in the US, most Health Insurance plans will only cover rehab treatment in cases where a medical detox is needed. Usually they will cover detoxes for alcohol, opiates, and various prescription pills, but frequently they won't cover rehab for cocaine, speed, or any other "addictions" that don't manifest as chemical withdrawals or require medical attention to detox from.

If you're a drunk or a junkie, your insurance is much more likely to cover your rehab stay than it would be if you were addicted to crack or speed.

No, I am not concerned. I am a bit peeved he didn't talk to me and I get a phone call from some other doctors office saying he referred me to them for pain management. What pain? Sure, I have it, but I don't NEED the vicodin to where I want to go hunt it down. And the new doctor I got is in the same group as the old one so yes..I know they can read my charts. If they never give me another vicodin, I won't sweat it. I just don't like taking too many advils because it's an nsaid and can do a number on my liver.

There is more to why I chose to fire him and go with another doctor, but I don't wish to go into detail. Suffice it to say...it was more than him not talking to me about his concerns, where I could have explained to him I got confused on the RX and even told the pharamcist I wasn't sure if I had a rx waiting or not. I also don't know if the doctor ever even wrote down how many times he asked me if I needed more and I declined because I had enough to tide me over. I WAS getting 30 pills and refilling every two months...maybe a month and a half. Keep in mind this past few months have been a humbdinger for me, so my confusion should have triggered an AHA moment with him instead of jumping to conclusions.
Dog had first epileptic seizure just prior to my 60th birthday, last october. I got to watch her flop all over the floor, thinking she was dying. It was not pleasant to watch. It happened on a friday night and she seized all weekend until I could get her to the vet on monday.
A week after that, I found the lump in my breast. Yep. It was breast cancer. December 19th, I had a mastectomy. No, I took no pain pills. They knocked me out, cut off my left breast, filled me with noro something because when I came to, I felt it. Hard. That was not fun either. They pumped me so full..I didn't need pain meds for 2 days. Then they gave me tylenol and codiene...which I did not take. I took advils. I save the vicodins for night...about 11pm, so I can sleep if my joints are throbbing. Sometimes they do..sometimes they don't.
Then, in January, my Germ Riddled roommate brought home the swine flu and shared it with the whole house. So I was sick right after surgery. On top of that, my friend who came to live with me because she was homeless, bailed 7 days after my mastectomy...leaving me and hubby to deal with all this alone. Betrayal at it's worst. Adding extra UMPH to what sucked, I was in the throes of trying to stop smoking. Which I failed at.
So yeah...I got confused, made a mistake and my doctor ASSumed something instead of talking to ME. And I think that is why I was and am so angry.
Taking ONE vicodin a day for 3 or 4 days...or one every other day, is not addictive in my opinion. But to a doctor? Maybe it is. I haven't had a vicodin in a week. I don't need one. But, I was renewing my meds...high blood pressure pills, the tamoxifen, the thyroid pills...and I called in the vicodin as well..BY MISTAKE.

Anyway..I appreciate the input. I don't think I had a problem and won't miss them, as I stated earlier. I really wish I could stop taking my HBP pills too. Wouldn't that be lovely being pill free?

Oh. And I don't drink either. Never have. Never really liked the taste of booze. And I don't like being "out of it" either..hence taking pain meds at night. I sleep through it and wake up with no stiff joints and needing my dogs to help pull me out of the bed, lol. Alas....looks like Advils are going to have to take over. I hope taking 2 doesn't screw my liver up. I'm running out of innards and body parts!

BikerSailor...I haven't smoked a joint in..oh...40 years? I didn't like it then and I'm pretty sure I would feel the same way now, lol. I like having my facilities about me, what little I have, heh. The stuff makes me dizzy. I HATE vertigo. I'd rather have joint pain and walk with a cane for a few days until it slacks off than have vertigo. Shudder.

Oh..and that's another reason I fired my old doctor. I was diagnosed with RA. I take nothing for it. My choice. I wanted to find a more natural "fix"....so I googled and studied and found that gluten and red meat are not good for RA. So...I have been gluten free for 2 years now. On my own. He never asked for a celiac test. In fact, I have to ask for blood work done to see where my levels are on just about everything..then I google to see if all is well. So far...all is well vitamin wise, etc. And my thyroid needed to be cut down from 100 mgs per day to a lower dose..so I did THAT myself too..I cut them in half and take once a day.

I'm tired of playing doctor FOR him. I am the patient but it sure seemed I haven't been.

Before I go to bed..I wanted to say I ask you guys stuff because I value what you have to say (well, most of the time). You guys can be rough...but you are honest in your roughness. No pussyfootin around. Which is why I am here. Tough love.
I appreciate you.

I started out on Vicodin, then went to Percocet, now I get pure oxycodone, no acetaminophen. I've been getting opiates for pain for almost ten years now. I usually take two oxycodones in the morning when the pain the worst, when I think I need it, and that's not that often. Maybe once a week, never more than twice. If I take it more often, I've noticed the pain killing effect is diminished. I have a friend who lives near me that's totally addicted to oxycodone. He takes it all day every day, and he knows he's hooked. I just wouldn't allow myself to get to that point.

Do I think you are addicted? Well, if you take an opiate EVERY DAY, if you're not hooked, you're sure working on it.

Are you taking 500 or 750's?

Taking a half or 1 whole a night is hardly an addiction......Particularly if what you state is true about sometimes taking none.....Opiate addiction does not dictate ever taking "none".

Last edited:

Yeah I think you're modestly addicted.

Beats being in pain, though.

I'd be much more concerned about you Advil useage.

Advil may cause life-threatening heart or circulation problems such as heart attack or stroke, especially if you use it long term.

Why not use aspirin?

It is safer for long term use than any of these ASA replacments.

Forum List

Back