ACORN may be defunct, but according to one woman, they are still collecting fees.

Immanuel

Gold Member
May 15, 2007
Woman Claims ACORN Continues to Deduct Money for a Now-Defunct Membership - FoxNews.com

A Delaware woman says ACORN as recently as two weeks ago deducted money from her bank account, despite countless efforts to cancel her membership with the now-bankrupt community housing organization.

In 2009, Kerry Sheldon signed up for a membership with the Association of Community Organizations for Reform Now -- known more commonly as ACORN -- to get mortgage counseling when she started to worry about losing her home to foreclosure.

“It didn’t seem like a bad deal,” says Sheldon. “I was excited somebody was going to help me.”

She says she paid ACORN $10 a month in automatic withdrawals from her credit union checking account for the membership. ACORN started collecting her money, but she never heard from them, so she went directly to her lender to fix the problem with her home mortgage.

What a racket! Want to bet this gets blamed on one employee and not the group itself?

Michael McCray, spokesperson for ACORN 8, a watch group made up of former ACORN board members, says they have had many ACORN members come to them saying they have not been able to cancel their memberships.

And about those accusations in regards to ACORN shutting down but opening up under a different name? Well, this from the horse's ass er mouth itself...

Schwartz says on April 1, 2010, ACORN leaders sent out a letter to all members that they were shutting down operations. “Anyone who wanted to cut off their withdrawals, they could.” He says instructions on how to cancel the membership were in the letter.

ACORN hasn’t had any active accounts withdrawing funds since August 2010. As for Sheldon’s case, he said it’s possible Sheldon mistakenly signed her account over to a new organization. He says it was common for ACORN offices to give lists of members to other programs.

Stopping payments hell, if I were Ms. Sheldon, I would be demanding a refund of the more than $200 they stole from her... er, except they filed bankruptcy and it would do her no good.

Immie

Last edited:
why doesn't she close the bank account?

According to the article, she and her husband have bad credit and were afraid that doing so would make things worse and they would not be able to open another account. That seems ridiculous to me, but still I understand the fear.

Also, not mentioned in the article, but there is a problem that if she has her mortgage and other payments deducted automatically, the changing of accounts can be a major inconvenience.

Immie

Any time you set up Auto Pay, you relinquish control of your Account. You actually need the other Party's permission to terminate it. So much for protecting us from all Enemies, Foreign and Domestic, huh. Big Government really has our back on that. ;) What we need is more of it! :lol:

Forum List

Back